Thread: Downloading a PDF File from a URL

Downloading a PDF File from a URL

Good Day All

i have a Reporting Service URL that i dynamically pass the Parameters on a Querystrng and if i take that URL and post it on a BRowser it downloads the PDF file. so i want to do this in C# , this code runs in a WCF service

Code:
            public void GetAccountEmailStatement(string AccountNumber, string EmailAddress)
            { 
                try
                {
                    //  

string remoteUri = "http://myserver/ReportServer/Pages/ReportViewer.aspx?%2fE-Billing%2fISU_PDF_GEN_1&rs:Command=Render&Contract_Account_Number=" + AccountNumber + "&Post_Date=26/02/15&rs:Format=PDF";
                    string fileName = HttpContext.Current.Server.MapPath("/Temp/"  + AccountNumber + ".pdf");  
                    WebClient webClient = new WebClient();
                    webClient.DownloadFile(remoteUri, fileName); //Error hapeens on this line

}
                catch (SqlException ex)
                {
                    throw ex;
                }
                finally
                {
                    this.con.Close();
                } 
            }
    The Error i get when its supposed to download the file is

The remote server returned an error: (401) Unauthorized.

Please help

Re: Downloading a PDF File from a URL

sounds like you need credentials to download that file
    VB6 & C# (WCF LINQ) mostly

If you need help with a WPF/WCF question post in the NEW WPF & WCF forum and we will try help the best we can

My site

My blog, couding troubles and solutions

Free online tools

Thanks for the Reply, i have access to the reporting server. what should i do to make this work in terms of credentials, do i add a user for this service in Reporting Service and make a change on the Service to accommodate that user ?

odds are there is more than whats in the querystring being passed that is the problem. I'm guessing that there's a cookie or something that needs to be set as part of the request. Try using Fiddler to see what is bei ng passed between tbhe client and reporting services... you may need to mimmic more than the qs.
    -tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *