Thread: Reading data from pdf file using itext is returning weird data

Reading data from pdf file using itext is returning weird data

I have some basic code where I am attempting to read from a pdf file using itextsharp. But when I see the data, it is non-readable. I tried converting to utf-8 but no success.

Here is the code I am using:

reader = New iTextSharp.text.pdf.PdfReader(sourcePdf)
    Dim strategy As New iTextSharp.text.pdf.parser.SimpleTextExtractionStrategy
    currpage = 1
    currentPageText = PdfTextExtractor.GetTextFromPage(reader, currpage, strategy)

Dim utf8Encoding As New System.Text.UTF8Encoding(True)
    Dim encodedString() As Byte
    encodedString = utf8Encoding.GetBytes(currentPageText)
    Dim currtext = utf8Encoding.GetString(encodedString)
    MsgBox(currtext)

Attached is what the field currtext looks like after retrieving the data. What do I need to do to see it as plain text?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Reading data from pdf file using itext is returning weird data

then it's probably not UTF-8...

but this doesn't make sense to me...
    encodedString = utf8Encoding.GetBytes(currentPageText)
    Dim currtext = utf8Encoding.GetString(encodedString)

you're taking a string, getting the bytes in UTF-8, then passing it right back and converting it to a UTF-8 string... seems to me that if the text was UTF-8, it would come out the same way as it went in (currentPageText = encodedString) ... but since it's coming out all jacked, that leads me to believe the encoding isn't what you think it is.

What is currentPageText initially? Are you SURE it's UTF-8?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

the currentpagetext is what you see in the attachment. I tried the convert to utf-8 just to see if it would do anything which it isn't. So I am not sure where to go from here.

try this:
    Encoding.ASCII.GetString(Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(yourString))

Source: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5...scii-in-vb-net

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

No luck unfortunately. Btw I converted the code to this (I think the command on that site was in C):

currtext = ASCIIEncoding.GetString(utf8Encoding.GetBytes(currentPageText))