Thread: Maddening OLE error.....

Maddening OLE error.....

Hi All,

I just migrated some of my VB6 development to a new Windows 7 32 bit computer, and I'm having a maddening problem related to 'OLE'. I've run VB6 successfully on other Win7 32 bit computers, so this isn't my first rodeo, but I've never seen this issue before!

My project loads properly with no errors, but when I attempt to run or compile it, I get the following error:

Compile Error:
    Can't Find Project or Library

This line in my code is then highlighted:

Private Function InitCalUnical(oComm As MSComm, ErrMsg As String) As Boolean

When I click the 'OK' button on the error dialog, the Project References dialog opens with 'OLE Automation' (which is checked) highlighted. The file location for the referenced object is 'C:\Windows\System32\stdole2.tlb'. I have confirmed that this file exists in the correct location.

So far, I have tried all the 'usual' fixes that I can think of. For example, I'm running VB6 in Windows XP SP3 Compatibility Mode as the Administrator. I also changed the Windows 7 Permissions of my development directory, and 'Windows\System32' directory to ensure that I have Full Control. I also changed Permissions of all the Registry keys that seem to be related to 'stdole2.tlb'. Lastly, I tried registering the 'stdole2.tlb' type library with 'Regtlib.exe', but that didn't work. I don't think this is the issue, however, as I can't register the the same type library on another working development machine.....

Any ideas to resolve this issue? At the moment, I'm dead in the water!!

Thanks,

John

PowerPoster

Re: Maddening OLE error.....

Almost everything listed as "usual fixes" looks wrong where not downright hazardous. And you are looking at things you clearly do not understand.

You've had your error pointed out to you:

Code:
    Private Function InitCalUnical(oComm As MSComm, ErrMsg As String) As Boolean
    No need to wander off making up possible culprits, and it seems obvious you have no idea what "OLE" is all about. Scary.

Does your project reference MSCOMM32.OCX? If so, most likely VB6 just was not installed properly.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    You've had your error pointed out to you:
    Well, dilettante, thanks for taking the time to take a 'swipe' at my problem (literally), but clearly you are not as smart as you think you are as the problem had nothing to do with MSCOMM. It seemed that VB was pointing me in the direction of an 'OLE' or other problem, but that was not it at all. The actual issue turned out to be another missing .dll file (msxml.dll). Unfortunately, I overlooked this 'MISSING' reference at the time because it didn't seem to be related. As soon as that issue was resolved, the original problem went away. Who knows why the VB IDE flagged the line of code it did, or why it seemed intent on leading me astray, but that's life!

I've read your reply to my original query a number of times now, and it seems that you were more intent on making some sort of a statement, than you were in actually offering any useful help/advice. For that I'm not going to sugar coat my feelings, and will freely call you out as a flaming a$$hole!

Cheers,

John

Quote Originally Posted by ezflyr View Post
    Unfortunately, I overlooked this 'MISSING' reference at the time because it didn't seem to be related.
    I'm curious how did you overlook it, provided that VB6 IDE pops up the References dialog (pointing the MISSING reference) on trying to compile the project? Indeed, usually with missing typelib reference, the error line the IDE stops compiling is non relevant, outright non-sense like "Constant expression needed" or similar.

cheers,
    </wqw>