Thread: Show/Hide panels, buttons, listbox... only in project ?

Lively Member

Show/Hide panels, buttons, listbox... only in project ?

Whether it is possible to hide/show panels, buttons, listbox only in project ?
    I have a small form with a lot of buttons, with 2-3 panels ... and working in this environment is impossible because i don't need all buttons, panels at same time ?

Thanks,

Re: Show/Hide panels, buttons, listbox... only in project ?

Most controls have a .Visible property, so at runtime you could hide controls which are not relevant at any given time. They will always show on the designer. Is that what you meant?

• If my post helped you, please Rate it
    • If your problem is solved please also mark the thread resolved

I use VS2015 (unless otherwise stated).
    _________________________________________________________________________________
    B.Sc(Hons), AUS.P, C.Eng, MIET, MIEEE, MBCS / MCSE+Sec, MCSA+Sec, MCP, A+, Net+, Sec+, MCIWD, CIWP, CIWA
    I wrote my very first program in 1979, using machine code on a mechanical Olivetti teletype connected to an 8-bit, 78 instruction, 1MHz, Motorola 6800 multi-user system with 2k of memory. Using Windows, I dont think my situation has improved.

Lively Member

No. I want to hide in designer ?

I don't think it's possible to do that. If you have a lot of controls on one form, you might want to consider breaking them into sub-groups and perhaps using a tab control.

_________________________________________________________________________________
    B.Sc(Hons), AUS.P, C.Eng, MIET, MIEEE, MBCS / MCSE+Sec, MCSA+Sec, MCP, A+, Net+, Sec+, MCIWD, CIWP, CIWA
    I wrote my very first program in 1979, using machine code on a mechanical Olivetti teletype connected to an 8-bit, 78 instruction, 1MHz, Motorola 6800 multi-user system with 2k of memory. Using Windows, I dont think my situation has improved.

You can't hide them in the designer, that would defeat the purpose. What you can do is either use the tab control as Bulldog suggested, or if the controls are already grouped onto panels, you can move the panels out of the visible window. You'd have to bring them back in at runtime via code, though, or else they wouldn't show on the form.

Normally, this isn't an issue, because an excess of controls generally means that something is wrong with the design, but there are some cases where it makes sense. Usually, these cases are where one large control, such as a big panel or picturebox, dominates the area of the form, though it is sometimes either hidden, or moved, in code. In such cases, the panel can be created quite small for design time, and only expanded to its ultimate size at runtime.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

It just occurred to me that you could also use a SplitContainer and partition up the form controls for that. At design time you can widen the container split which will serve to hide the controls on a given panel(s), at run time you can restore the split to be correct. You'd have to be careful with the layout/position of controls and keep checking the runtime 'look'.

But following what Shaggy said, if you're having problems with the amount of controls at design time, I would also imagine your users will have similar problems. So it tends to suggest something is wrong with how your controls are laid out. It often helps to move anything 'settings' related onto a dedicated tab, panel etc.