Thread: Sort Order of Dir() Function

Lively Member

Sort Order of Dir() Function

I have the following code to process all the text files found in the folder C:\Temp ...

strFile = Dir("C:\Temp\*.txt")
    Do While strFile <> ""
    '<Code to process the file in strFile>
    strFile = Dir() 'Get next file in the folder
    Loop

Let's say I have the files File1.txt, File2.txt, File3.txt, etc. in the Temp folder. What is the sort order that the files will come up with the series of Dir() function calls made by the program? Is there any way to control that sort order, say, if you want the files to be processed from earliest to latest file date/time?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

PowerPoster

Re: Sort Order of Dir() Function

I am not aware of any sort options there, they show up in whatever order they do. you would likely have to write some code to do the sorting yourself if you want some order other than the order you get.

You could do something like Explorer does and load them into a listview set to report mode and then sort by the filedate column

I am not sure what order they are returned, but you can implement a quicksort routine to sort by date, length, alphanumeric, etc.

Fanatic Member

Short answer: the order is unpredictable and varies by file system. You must do any sorting manually.

Long answer: this answer on StackOverflow describes how the FindFirstFile and FindNextFile API functions work. I assume Dir() wraps them in some capacity, so that information may be helpful.
    Check out PhotoDemon, a pro-grade photo editor written completely in VB6. (Full source available at GitHub.)

Lively Member

That's what I was afraid of. Well, I'll have to put the files in an array and sort them.

Thanks everyone for your inputs and great info!