Thread: [Help] Looking for a few references for making a button show an image

[Help] Looking for a few references for making a button show an image

So, I'm planning to work on a project that I will be able to click a button, and it will pull an image from the localhost and display it in a little box.

It's like the ONLY important coding that I need done for it, anyone know how I can do such a thing?

Can I also get a download/install link for VB 6, I've googled alot and i get .ISO files and I don't want to risk any of that

Re: [Help] Looking for a few references for making a button show an image

Look up loadPicture.

No such thing as an install link for VB6.....only available on CD's.....to get a legal copy, will probably cost you between five and eight Franklins.

The Microsoft Common Dialog Control from your toolbox will allow you to present a GUI for the user to select images. As Sam suggested, LoadPicture() can be used to assign the image to an Image or Picturebox control. VB natively supports bmp, jpg, gif, ico/cur, wmf/emf, for the most part.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

PowerPoster

little_box.picture = LoadPicture(path_to_picture)

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by SamOscarBrown View Post
    No such thing as an install link for VB6.....only available on CD's.....to get a legal copy, will probably cost you between five and eight Franklins.
    Actually there is one legit legal place that you can download an ISO of VB6. MSDN Subscribers site. Of course you need a paid subscription to download it.

I am sure there are ISO images and such available on the net but these would be illegal pirated versions if they are in fact VB and not some virus in disguise.

The bottom line with VB6 is that unless you want to pay for a CD or an MSDN subscription there is no legal way to get/use it.

May be a good idea to go with VB Express instead as it is free and legal to download and use without paying.

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    May be a good idea to go with VB Express instead as it is free and legal to download and use without paying.
    But then it's not VB6... *shrug*

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *