Thread: how to load an access database file into vb.net

how to load an access database file into vb.net

Hi,

I am trying to display an MS access file's table in my vb form application. The youtube videos and googled results did not help. Mostly they seem to be for a different version of VS or using features that's not in the express edition (for example server explorer).

My goal is to 1. display a table 2. run query to insert data

if anyone can point to me a guide or post a few screenshots that'd be great.

Thanks

Re: how to load an access database file into vb.net

I think what you're referring to is the solution explorer and I believe by default it's hidden. If so, click the View menu and then click Solution Explorer.

However, for displaying a Microsoft Access table in Visual Basic.Net I recommend following this tutorial: http://homeandlearn.co.uk/NET/vbNet.html specifically chapter 13.

Re: how to load an access database file into vb.net

Quote Originally Posted by newCode2015 View Post
    Mostly they seem to be for a different version of VS or using features that's not in the express edition (for example server explorer).
    VS Express includes the Database Explorer, which provides the same functionality as the Server Explorer where databases are concerned.

Generally speaking, you should start out using ADO.NET for data access, either using a typed or untyped DataSet. The tutorial provided by dday9 will cover both. When it talks about using a wizard it is talking about using a typed DataSet and writing all your own code means using an untyped DataSet. A typed DataSet means having methods and properties generated for you that are typed specifically to match your database while an untyped DataSet requires you to use text and indexes to identify tables and columns. Some people prefer the control provided by writing all the code yourself but that control is basically an illusion because most of what you do will be pretty standard and not require any additional control anyway. It's good to know both options anyway.

I'd generally recommend using the Entity Framework for data access in any real app these days but it's good to start out with ADO.NET to get a feel for things. It's easier to understand what EF is doing much of the time if you have a firm grasp of ADO.NET.