Thread: Accessing my program from the web

Question Accessing my program from the web

Hi,

I created a program that runs on my server at home (VB.net with Visual Studio Ultimate 2010). Now I would like to control that program from anywhere on the web, but I have no idea where to start or what I need for that.

If there is a way that I can get the exact same user interface from my program on a web-browser, that would work, but I suspect that I would instead need to create a small webpage and assign the functions and actions of the webpage to my program on the server?

I would think this is something quite common, so hopefully there is a simple solution. My interface is quite simple. I actually have a version made for a touch screen, so it is already pruned-down to the essential and using big buttons, fonts, etc.

Sorry if this is already covered in a previous thread. I did a search, but could not find anything that sounded like what I need. But this may be because I have no idea what exactly I should be looking for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Benoit Provost

Re: Accessing my program from the web

A web interface is completely different than a desktop style app, you would need to create a new asp.net project and make a new app altogether. You can bring across your classes and use them in the webapp, but the interface will need to be made entirely from scratch.

Thanks JuggaloBrotha.
    It looks like my first step is to learn how to build a web interface (asp.net) with Visual Studio. I found simple How-To's already, so I'll start with that. It is still not clear to me how to link the web interface to my app, but hopefully this will become clearer after I get through the tutorial.

Regards,
    Benoit

Quote Originally Posted by BenoitProvost View Post
    It is still not clear to me how to link the web interface to my app, but hopefully this will become clearer after I get through the tutorial.
    You wont be linking your current app with the new webapp at all, you'll be rewriting it as a new webapp altogether.