Thread: [RESOLVED] Please help with : Conversion from string "Label1" to type 'Double' is not valid

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Please help with : Conversion from string "Label1" to type 'Double' is not valid

Hi everyone, I need help with problem (Conversion from string "Label1" to type 'Double' is not valid)

Here is my code:
    Public Class Form1

Public Function getDistance(ByVal latA As Double, ByVal longA As Double, ByVal latB As Double, ByVal longB As Double, ByVal distanceUnit As Char) As Double

Dim distCalculated As Double
    Dim distTheta As Double

distTheta = longA - longB
    distCalculated = Math.Sin(dgToRad(latA)) * Math.Sin(dgToRad(latB)) + Math.Cos(dgToRad(latA)) * Math.Cos(dgToRad(latB)) * Math.Cos(dgToRad(distTheta))
    distCalculated = Math.Acos(distCalculated)
    distCalculated = radToDg(distCalculated)
    distCalculated = (distCalculated * 60) * 1.1515
    distCalculated = distCalculated * 0.868976242

Return distCalculated
    End Function
    Private Function dgToRad(ByVal dg As Double) As Double
    Return (dg * Math.PI / 180.0)
    End Function
    Private Function radToDg(ByVal rad As Double) As Double
    Return rad / Math.PI * 180.0
    End Function

Private Sub Button2_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
    Dim myanswer As Double
    myanswer = Math.Round(getDistance(Me.LatADECLabel1.Text, Me.LonADECLabel1.Text, Me.LatBDecLabel1.Text, Me.LonBDecLabel1.Text, "M"))
    Label2.Text = myanswer
    End Sub

End Class

Re: Please help with : Conversion from string "Label1" to type 'Double' is not valid

I would think that the error message would speak for itself. Would you expect that the String "Label1" would be able to be converted to a Double value? Presumably you are clicking Button2 without ever having changed the Text of one of at least one of those Labels from its default.

Why are you converting the Text of Labels to numbers in the first place? The user can't set the Text of a Label so you must be doing it code, which means that you must already have that data. You should be setting the Text of the Label from a Double variable that you already have so, when it comes time to perform the calculation, use that Double variable. Labels are not a place to store data for later use. That's what variables are for. The Label's purpose is solely to display text to the user. If you want to store numbers for calculations then do exactly that.

Addicted Member

Re: Please help with : Conversion from string "Label1" to type 'Double' is not valid

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    I would think that the error message would speak for itself. Would you expect that the String "Label1" would be able to be converted to a Double value? Presumably you are clicking Button2 without ever having changed the Text of one of at least one of those Labels from its default.

Why are you converting the Text of Labels to numbers in the first place? The user can't set the Text of a Label so you must be doing it code, which means that you must already have that data. You should be setting the Text of the Label from a Double variable that you already have so, when it comes time to perform the calculation, use that Double variable. Labels are not a place to store data for later use. That's what variables are for. The Label's purpose is solely to display text to the user. If you want to store numbers for calculations then do exactly that.
    Thank you I must have had a blonde day, went back on some old code that I wrote a few years back and tried to modify it for another purpose. Got it working now, many thanks :/

Re: [RESOLVED] Please help with : Conversion from string "Label1" to type 'Double' is

All's well what ends well.