Thread: Post some classic links up

Post some classic links up

How to Unlock a Hidden Minesweeper Mode

How to view someones IP address and connection speed!

http://www.berndtontheweb.com/ - IT Safety Tips!

A common hack is to go into the control panel on a computer running windows and change the right button on the mouse to function as the left button and vice versa. So that the button are switched which causes confusion for the user (confusion that can be used in social engineering hacks to steal personal passwords for example). To protect yourself from this it is a good idea to never leave your mouse at the computer you have been using. I have made a special cargo-case for my mouse, so that I can now fit it in my belt (I have it on my left side at all times and my Ericsson cell phone on the right). A good mouse policy is security 101.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Post some classic links up

Be sure to have the latest Antivirus software. It is easy to stay updated too, just surf around on the Internet and you will get some automatic pop-ups with "Free Antivirus Software". Click download and install it!
    Is that guy actually serious or is it a parody? I genuinely couldn't decide.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I was curious about this one:

Never, never, NEVER use short commandos
    Is there a real height requirement? Rambo was 5'10". Is that too short?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I actually have no idea if it is real or not. It has been around for years. Proper lol worthy either way.

My guess is that it is fake, since ALL the advice is wrong. On the other hand, if you go far enough back in time (and that's not so far when it comes to computers), life was a whole lot simpler.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

My favorite 'prank' on someones computer - and when I say favorite, I mean 'do that a -f-king-gain and I'll rip out your intestines through your broken teeth' - is to take a screenshot of the desktop, set it as the wallpaper, then hide all the desktop icons and the task bar. Hilarity ensues...
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Stumbled across this one. I haven't tried it though:

http://www.askvg.com/revealing-hidde...-in-windows-7/
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Here's a wayback classic url ... http://www.vbworld.com although I'm disappointed in where it points to these days...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley View Post
    My favorite 'prank' on someones computer - and when I say favorite, I mean 'do that a -f-king-gain and I'll rip out your intestines through your broken teeth' - is to take a screenshot of the desktop, set it as the wallpaper, then hide all the desktop icons and the task bar. Hilarity ensues...
    And if you can get it with a login form of some kind showing, it's even funnier.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    And if you can get it with a login form of some kind showing, it's even funnier.

-tg
    Back in my mainframe days I set up a command list on someone's computer that would randomly, based on day and time combinations, remap a couple of his function keys. He sat next to be and I'd here him b*tching "it happened again". He ended up getting systems involved who easily found what I did. Nobody considered it harmful after I explaned why I did it. When he and his wife worked late she would use by computer and remap my keys leaving them that way to come into the next day. I had them backed up after the first time but still wanted revenge.

I'm taking about the old dump terminals from the IBM mainframe.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

friend of mine in high school had a DOS-based TSR screen saver called drip. Keep in mind, this was still 20 years (at least) before the Matrix, but what it would do, is when it kicked in, it would "drip" the characters of what ever was on the screen. A quick keypress would disrupt the screen saver and restore it to what ever was there before it sprung the leak. One day we loaded it up on the computers at the college library, did a card catalog search to fill the screen with something, then let it loose. People would walk up to it, sit down, see a letter drop, then another and another and another, quickly look around, get a paranoid look on their face, then move to the next one.

-tg

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I think a friend of mine had that drip screensaver.

Anway, Thoroughly British Link
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd