Thread: Fill combobox with column from database

Fill combobox with column from database

Anyone know a good tutorial that shows how to populate a combobox with data from a table column in a database? I've been trying for hours and can't get it to work.

Thanks.

Re: Fill combobox with column from database

What you're wanting to do is to bind your DataColumn to your ComboBox. This can be done several different ways, but to get a better understanding of which way is best for you, how are you accessing your data? Did you add the DataBase to your project via the wizard, are you connecting to your DataBase manually, etc.

In short:
    Code:
    With myComboBox
        .DisplayMember = "NameOfColumnToDisplay"
        .ValueMember = "NameOfColumnIdentifyingRecord"
        .DataSource = myDataTable
    End With
    That can be done in code or the equivalent in the designer.

Here's an example that shows some databinding methods

https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/DataBinding-91dfbcf4

I have an existing project that I'm wanting to use a database to store information for. These are the steps I did -

I added a new datasource and created a new database. I go to Database Explorer and add a table with two fields and then use Show Table Data to populate a few lines. I go to Configure Data Source with Wizard and add the table to the dataset. Right-clicking on the table shows the two fields, I set the first one to Combobox and drag it over to the form. I run the program and it doesn't show up.

Okay that didn't work, so I start over with a new project. Once again I create a new database, add the table, populate the table, and then use the wizard to add the tables to the dataset. I go to the toolbox and add a combobox to the form, go to it's properties and set the Datasource to the table and set DisplayMember to the desired column. I save everything, run it and MY HEART IS POUNDING OUT OF MY CHEST BECAUSE IT WORKED.

Now I go to what I've been trying to do all along - to get it to work in an existing combobox that's inside of a user control. I go to it and set it's Datasource and DisplayMember properties to the exact same settings, run the program - and it's blank.

Is there something about a combobox being inside of a user control that prevents it from being populated by a data field? It's actually inside of a groupbox that's inside of a user control, maybe I have to set the data properties for those too...