Thread: WebBrowser Control disables the Form when it navigates while not visible

WebBrowser Control disables the Form when it navigates while not visible

Hello friends,

My application has a single Form. It always shows in full dock one of a set of several UserControls. They alternate as user demands different functions from the application, so that the Form is one along all runtime and it remains the same. Note: this is the desired design. To achieve that, just one usercontrol is added each time, and shows in a TableLayoutPanel named "Grid" set in a "Parent" UserControl named "UcNav" (because there are some controls that remain with the form). When they need to change, the exiting UC is removed from the .Controls collection and the entering UC is added to the .Controls collection. All that is done with this piece of code:
    Code:
    Public Class UcNav
        Private WithEvents cOn As UserControl
        Private Titles As New Dictionary(Of UserControl, String)
        Private Actions As New Dictionary(Of UserControl, Action(Of DialogResult))
        Public Shared Function [Get](ByVal c As UserControl) As UcNav
            If c IsNot Nothing AndAlso c.Parent IsNot Nothing AndAlso c.Parent.Parent IsNot Nothing Then
                Return TryCast(c.Parent.Parent, UcNav)
            Else
                Return Nothing
            End If
        End Function
        Public Sub New(ByVal c As UserControl, t As String, Optional ByVal a As Action(Of DialogResult) = Nothing)
            InitializeComponent()
            Dock = DockStyle.Fill
            Add(c, t, a)
        End Sub
        Public Property ControlOn As UserControl
            Get
                Return cOn
            End Get
            Private Set(value As UserControl)
                If cOn IsNot Nothing Then
                    Grid.Controls.Remove(cOn)
                End If
                If value IsNot Nothing Then
                    AdjustSizes(value)
                    Grid.Controls.Add(value, 0, 1)
                    value.Dock = DockStyle.Fill
                    cOn = value
                End If
                LabelTitles.Text = String.Concat(From kvp In Titles Select "»" & kvp.Value & "  ").Trim
                ButtonRewind.Visible = Titles.Count > 1
            End Set
        End Property
        Public Sub Add(ByVal c As UserControl, t As String, Optional ByVal a As Action(Of DialogResult) = Nothing)
            Titles.Add(c, t)
            Actions.Add(c, a)
            ControlOn = c
        End Sub
        Public Sub Rewind(Optional ByVal dr As DialogResult = DialogResult.None)
            If Titles.Count > 1 Then
                Dim a = Actions(cOn)
                Titles.Remove(cOn)
                Actions.Remove(cOn)
                ControlOn = Titles.Last.Key
                If a IsNot Nothing Then a.Invoke(dr)
            End If
        End Sub
        Private Sub ButtonRewind_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles ButtonRewind.Click
            Dim cancel = False, cancelFunc = TryCast(cOn.Tag, Func(Of Boolean))
            If cancelFunc IsNot Nothing Then cancel = cancelFunc.Invoke
            If Not cancel Then Rewind()
        End Sub
        Private Sub AdjustSizes(ByVal c As Control)
            Dim f = FindForm()
            If f IsNot Nothing Then
                Dim cSize = New Size(Grid.GetColumnWidths(0), Grid.GetRowHeights(1))
                Dim fSize = f.Size - cSize
                Dim nSize = New Size(fSize.Width + c.MinimumSize.Width, fSize.Height + c.MinimumSize.Height)
                Dim xSize = New Size(fSize.Width + c.MaximumSize.Width, fSize.Height + c.MaximumSize.Height)
                If xSize.Width = fSize.Width Then xSize.Width = 0
                If xSize.Height = fSize.Height Then xSize.Height = 0
                f.MinimumSize = New Size
                f.MaximumSize = New Size
                f.MinimumSize = nSize
                f.MaximumSize = xSize
            End If
        End Sub
    End Class
    Some of these UserControls, however, do something even when they are not added to the form, therefore invisible. That causes no problem except that annoyng behavior: when a WebBrowser navigates, if its parent UserControl is not the one which is showing at the form, it makes the Form to deactivate. The intriguing thing is that I catched the "Deactivate" event from the form, and the Form.ActiveForm shared property keeps pointing to the right Form, but it gets unfocused (and there is no clue about where has the focus gone to).

This post describes a similar problem, but that solution didn't worked for me.

Do you guys could help me sort out (and prevent) this focus loss?

Thank you very much!
    VBobCat
    VS2013 & Office-VBA
    Autodidact, part-time programmer for job needs

Re: WebBrowser Control disables the Form when it navigates while not visible

Quote Originally Posted by VBobCat View Post
    The intriguing thing is that I catched the "Deactivate" event from the form, and the Form.ActiveForm shared property keeps pointing to the right Form, but it gets unfocused (and there is no clue about where has the focus gone to).
    The reason that that ActiveForm property doesn't change is that it is an application-specific value. That form is still the active form for that application, even though that application is no longer active.

Is the navigation you're referring to being done in code, i.e. are you calling Navigate?

Re: WebBrowser Control disables the Form when it navigates while not visible

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Is the navigation you're referring to being done in code, i.e. are you calling Navigate?
    Usually, but not always. For instance, if I manually click the Form and reactivate it, but my program is still interacting with WebBrowser content and gets it to navigate again (for instance, following some link), it steals the focus again.

In the meantime, I was suggested to set browser's parent Enabled=False before navigate. Therefore I made a Sub to handle ParentChanged events of both UserControl and WebBrowser (the latter in order to run upon UserControl's initialization). It tests whether WebBroser.FindForm Is Nothing and sets UserControl.Enabled property accordingly. It solved the problem!
    VBobCat
    VS2013 & Office-VBA
    Autodidact, part-time programmer for job needs