Thread: Splash screen online instructions not applicable

Hybrid View

Splash screen online instructions not applicable

Hi folks, first time poster on this forum but I've started a VB module at college so you can be sure you'll probably be seeing more of me over the next few months

I have to set up a splash screen for a pizza menu application that Im doing, following all the online instructions they say to go to the application properties and then under Windows application framework properties, in the Splash screen: list, click the form that you want to use as a splash screen.

I dont have a splash screen list, i do have a start up form list, so from here I choose the splash screen except unlike the tutorials online instead of showing the splash screen for a couple of seconds and then showing the main form the splash screen instead stays on screen and dosnt change

Any thoughts?

Im thinking Id like a form to come up first with a pic and a button saying view menu so when thats clicked the main app form is then shown, if someone could give me some informative info on this it would be very much appreciated

Re: Splash screen online instructions not applicable

Scroll down. It should be at the bottom (below 'shutdown mode', below 'authentication mode'...). It is in a group box labeled 'Windows application framework properties' that starts with the checkbox 'Enable XP visual styles'.

I have VS2010, but cannot imagine it's too different.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

scrolling huh?! who woulda thunk it, it was hidden behind the output tab. Wont be making that mistake again, thanks SJWhiteley

any ideas on what command needed for adding a button onto the splash screen so the app will wait until its pressed to bring me to the main form?

None... that's not the point of a splash screen. The splash screen should be used for 1) allowing the user to see what application they are launching (as if they didn't know) and 2) perform background loading operations needed for the application to start.

If you want your "splash screen" to display and wait for a button push then you should have a button on it, and in the click event, have it load the main form. Then remove the splash screen form from the splash screen setting, and set it as your startup form. Make sure your shutdown mode is set to "when all forms unload"

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

thanks for the info techgnome

ok I get ya, so would it be better to use a form with a button then? I could set it as the start up form in the application properties and then the button will terminate the startup form and open up the main form

what commands would i use to terminate the first form (dispose im guessing) and bring up the main form?

i did a bit of googleing and found how to do what it is im trying to do

here the link to the page if anyone is looking http://www.vb6.us/tutorials/understa...s-vb6-tutorial

IT's close... except that it's for VB6 and some of it doesn't apply (vbModal for instance) ...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

cool I'll keep that in mind when using the site and if anything it will put me on the right path