Thread: In Motion Weighing

Fanatic Member

In Motion Weighing

hi

Does anyone has any idea how to weigh in motion vehicles like train etc. How to detect speed & direction of train.

Thanks

PowerPoster

Re: In Motion Weighing

I would think that you would need input from multiple sensors and those sensors would have to be sending weight info. The speed and direction could be determined based on which order the sensors relay data, the elapsed time between the sensor feeds and distance apart

Fanatic Member

Hi Datamiser

Do you have any sample or logic for this

Same question as a few days ago, again no information provided by Jagjit:
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...atic-Detection

Are you talking ADACMS-WIM? This system employs permanent and/or portable scale systems with accompanying laser hardware. Originally designed for the commercial trucking industry, the US Army has since contracted for several of these systems starting circa 2002. The HW sends signals (some are designed with wired, and some wireless technology) to computer systems which interprets the signals and converts them to weight, length, height, width and speed. Wanna know more? https://www.google.com/#q=weigh-in-motion+system

PowerPoster

I think the OP is talking about the two Rs232-based Controllers (Sensors), which he mentioned in his
    previous posting.

And since it's two of them (usualy cleverly placed), one can for example easily detect states as:
    [0]="no-train-is-present" (when both controllers measure nearly zero Force, in Newton or whatever)
    [1]="directional-state" (when going from: [0]="no-train-is-present" to: "controller1-force >> controller2-force" or "controller1-force << controller2-force")
    [2]="we-have-a-reliable-weight" (when not in: [0]="no-train-is-present"-state and "controller1-force is about the same as controller2-force"
    [3]="wagon is finished" (when going from state [2]="we-have-a-reliable-weight" to any of the other states (usually over [1])

...as long as the train is not through, the states will switch between [2] and [3]="other-states" in
    a certain "typical frequency" - only when state [0] is reliably entered for more than say, 2 or 3 seconds again,
    we can assume that the last state-switch was measuring the last wagon in the train - and that there are no
    more wagons... case closed then - save the gathered data for each wagon on the train, wait for the next
    switch from state [0] to state [1] (which gives the direction).

If there's some additional "rules" in such a "measured passing of a train" over the two sensors,
    as e.g. a certain "constant speed", one could detect (or describe) state [2]="reliable weight" also as:
    the signals from Controller1 and Controller2 (which might come in with 25-50Hz or so) remaining
    both relative constant over 0.2 seconds, otherwise the signals (either from C1 or C2) are "bumpy" in
    shorter intervals than 0.2secs.

A better picture one could get, when looking at a typical measurement-stream (from both sensors)
    when a train was passing.
    Usually there exist simple TextFiles for that, which record such data on both Rs232-channels in realtime
    (recorded automatically, in case the sensors detect something, definitely out of their Zero-Calibration-range).

In the shoes of the OP, I'd request a few of such recordings, as they were made for typical train-passes
    (for both directions - and different kind of trains)...

Olaf
    Last edited by Schmidt; Feb 20th, 2015 at 03:41 PM.

Fanatic Member

Hi Schmidt

If i have to provide information what information i need to provide . Do anyone have some code how to do this. It can be Vb,.net any language.

how to read data from motion sensors or load cells & get speed,weight,direction of vehicle using rs232 in software

Thanks
    Last edited by Jagjit; May 23rd, 2015 at 04:36 AM. Reason: .

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Jagjit View Post
    If i have to provide information what information i need to provide . Do anyone have some code how to do this. It can be Vb,.net any language.

how to read data from motion sensors or load cells & get speed,weight,direction of vehicle using rs232 in software
    I fear you're on your own in that, since that is a very specific task which involves
    a concrete measuring-system from a concrete vendor, which should have provided
    concrete specifications about how his sensors work - along with the specific
    communication-protocols for said sensors.

If that protocol is using Rs232 - then fine - you can use e.g. the MS-COMM-control
    to "listen to incoming sensor-data"...

The parsing of that incoming data - and determining weight, direction and speed -
    involves writing small "logging-apps" to gather Test-Data you can "take home with you",
    then refining the algorithms with said Test-Data-LogFiles - then going back and
    "testing again on the real thing" - that'd be a typical cycle in your case - and
    absolutely the job for a programmer who has direct access to these sensors
    (at the customers site - in India I assume?).

Nobody in this Forum can help you much with that (unless you provide really detailed
    Logging-Data-Files with a clear description of their Format).

So, in case you're too inexperienced to tackle the problem on your own, I'd suggest
    finding a developer with more experience "in your area" (so that you can visit the
    customers site together) - that'd be more worthwhile "help-wise", I think.

Olaf