Thread: [VB6] - Multi-line standard tooltip.

PowerPoster

[VB6] - Multi-line standard tooltip.

Standard tooltip (property "ToolTipText" of controls) does not support multi-line text and displays all the text on one line. Suggest module that supports "multiline" standard tooltip based on subclassing windows tooltip. Can, in principle, and the color and design to change the tooltip if you wish, I left the standard; You can also add width adjustment (so as not to produce a lot of code I left centered), commented on almost every line. Button to stop the project after the launch of "hook" can not be otherwise crash IDE (I have Win7 (64), not falling apart; always took off on XP), it is necessary to close the window and call "Unhook".

MultilineTooltip_eng.zip

Fanatic Member

Re: [VB6] - Multi-line standard tooltip.

I tried few methods either by a resource file or manifest, but I can't get themed tooltips. Are you using hard code to draw tooltips?

Code:
    Case WM_PAINT
            BeginPaint hwnd, ps                                                                 
            md = GetBkMode(ps.hdc)                                                              
            oft = SelectObject(ps.hdc, hFont)                                                 
            SetBkMode ps.hdc, TRANSPARENT                                                       
            DrawText ps.hdc, s, Len(s), RC, DT_WORDBREAK Or DT_CENTER                           
            SelectObject ps.hdc, oft                                                            
            SetBkMode ps.hdc, md                                                             
            EndPaint hwnd, ps                                                                   
            Exit Function

PowerPoster

Once you're doing drawing yourself like that, shouldn't you simply be able to use the Theme API? Mainly the DrawThemeBackground function...
    Code:
    TOOLTIP	TTP_BALLOON	TTBS_LINK, TTBS_NORMAL
    	TTP_BALLOONSTEM	TTBSS_POINTINGUPLEFTWALL, TTBSS_POINTINGUPCENTERED, TTBSS_POINTINGUPRIGHTWALL, TTBSS_POINTINGDOWNRIGHTWALL, TTBSS_POINTINGDOWNCENTERED, TTBSS_POINTINGDOWNLEFTWALL
    	TTP_BALLOONTITLE	
    	TTP_CLOSE	TTCS_HOT, TTCS_NORMAL, TTCS_PRESSED
    	TTP_STANDARD	TTSS_LINK, TTSS_NORMAL
    	TTP_STANDARDTITLE	TTSS_LINK, TTSS_NORMAL
    	TTP_WRENCH (Windows 7)	TTWS_NORMAL, TTWS_HOT, TTWS_PRESSED
    Theme Parts and States (MSDN)

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by fafalone View Post
    Once you're doing drawing yourself like that, shouldn't you simply be able to use the Theme API? Mainly the DrawThemeBackground function...
    Code:
    TOOLTIP	TTP_BALLOON	TTBS_LINK, TTBS_NORMAL
    	TTP_BALLOONSTEM	TTBSS_POINTINGUPLEFTWALL, TTBSS_POINTINGUPCENTERED, TTBSS_POINTINGUPRIGHTWALL, TTBSS_POINTINGDOWNRIGHTWALL, TTBSS_POINTINGDOWNCENTERED, TTBSS_POINTINGDOWNLEFTWALL
    	TTP_BALLOONTITLE	
    	TTP_CLOSE	TTCS_HOT, TTCS_NORMAL, TTCS_PRESSED
    	TTP_STANDARD	TTSS_LINK, TTSS_NORMAL
    	TTP_STANDARDTITLE	TTSS_LINK, TTSS_NORMAL
    	TTP_WRENCH (Windows 7)	TTWS_NORMAL, TTWS_HOT, TTWS_PRESSED
    Theme Parts and States (MSDN)
    Thanks. I got it.

Hyperactive Member

Trick,

I run 64-bit Windows 10. I can't get your sample program to work correctly in the IDE. It works fine as a compiled EXE but in the IDE each of the tooltips flash once and then don't show. But even stranger, the one string S(2) in your form load that has 7 lines of text sometimes displays and stays displayed but none of the others ever remain displayed. Is this intentional?

Also, I am guessing that the comments in your code are in cyrillic but since I don't have that as an ANSI code page I can't translate them. Would it be possible to save your two code files in UTF-8 so that we can see and then translate your comments? Thanks.

Hyperactive Member

Thanks for the comment translations. However, I am still getting the same performance of the tooltips in the IDE. the 7-line one generally stays displayed but the others just appear momentarily. That doesn't happen when executing the program outside the IDE.

I Made this changes to remove the limit of the 255 chars size and to create a newline with "///" so multiline tooltips can be easy edited from the designer window.

Added code in Bold:

Code:
    ' Tooltip window proc
    Private Function ToolProc(ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal Msg As Long, ByVal wParam As Long, ByVal lParam As Long) As Long
        Dim ps As PAINTSTRUCT, oft As Long, wp As WINDOWPOS, dc As Long, md As Long, bw As Long, bh As Long
        Dim ii As ICONINFO, bm As BITMAP, pt As POINTAPI, hIcon As Long

Select Case Msg
        Case WM_SETTEXT                                                                         ' Before tooltip is showed it receives WM_SETTEXT
            l = lstrlen(ByVal lParam)                                                           ' Get text length
            If l Then                                                                           ' Check for empty stirng
                s = Space(l)                                                                    ' Allocate enough buffer
                lstrcpy ByVal s, ByVal lParam                                                   ' Copy string to buffer

'Get the full tooltip text from the control
                If (Len(s) > 254) Then
                    s = GetFullTooltipText(GetForegroundWindow, s)
                End If

'Allow to type newlines easy in the property windows directly
                s = Replace$(s, "///", vbNewLine)

bw = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXBORDER): bh = GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYBORDER)          ' Get border sizes
                dc = GetDC(0)                                                                   ' Acuire context to calculate string boundaries
                oft = SelectObject(dc, hFont)                                                   ' Select tooltip font
                SetRect RC, 0, 0, 0, 0                                                          ' Reset rectangle of view
                DrawText dc, s, Len(s), RC, DT_CALCRECT                                         ' Calculate text boundaries
                OffsetRect RC, bw * 2, bh * 2                                                   ' Offset to double border size
                w = bw * 4 + RC.iRight: h = bh * 4 + RC.iBottom                                 ' Calculate window size

If MaxWidth > 32 And w > MaxWidth Then                                          ' If width is greater than specified
                    SetRect RC, bw * 2, bh * 2, MaxWidth, h                                     ' Correct boundaries
                    DrawText dc, s, Len(s), RC, DT_CALCRECT Or DT_WORDBREAK                     ' Calculate text boundaries taking into account line breaks
                    w = bw * 4 + RC.iRight: h = bh * 4 + RC.iBottom                             ' Calculate window size
                End If

SelectObject dc, oft                                                            ' Restore state
                ReleaseDC 0, dc                                                                 ' Release context
                ToolProc = True                                                                 ' Success
                Exit Function
            End If
        Case WM_WINDOWPOSCHANGING                                                               ' Before resizing
            CopyMemory wp, ByVal lParam, Len(wp)                                                ' Get the size and position
            wp.cx = w: wp.cy = h                                                                ' Assign the width and height which we got
            hIcon = GetCursor()                                                                 ' Get current cursor handle
            GetIconInfo hIcon, ii                                                               ' Get cursor info
            GetObject ii.hbmColor, Len(bm), bm                                                  ' Get cursor picture info
            bw = (bm.bmWidth + ii.xHotspot) \ 2                                                 ' Calculate half-offset to window
            bh = (bm.bmHeight + ii.yHotspot) \ 2
            GetCursorPos pt                                                                     ' Get cursor position

If pt.x + w + bw > Screen.Width \ Screen.TwipsPerPixelX Then                        ' If window is out of bounds
                wp.x = pt.x - w - bw                                                            ' Correct position
            Else                                                                                ' //
                wp.x = pt.x + bw                                                                ' //
            End If
            If pt.y + h + bh > Screen.Height \ Screen.TwipsPerPixelY Then                       ' //
                wp.y = pt.y - h - bh                                                            ' //
            Else                                                                                ' //
                wp.y = pt.y + bh                                                                ' //
            End If

CopyMemory ByVal lParam, wp, Len(wp)                                                ' Update
            Exit Function
        Case WM_PAINT
            BeginPaint hwnd, ps                                                                 ' Prepare window to redraw
            md = GetBkMode(ps.hdc)                                                              ' Get background style to restore it in further
            oft = SelectObject(ps.hdc, hFont)                                                   ' Select font
            SetBkMode ps.hdc, TRANSPARENT                                                       ' Set transparent text background
            DrawText ps.hdc, s, Len(s), RC, DT_WORDBREAK Or DT_CENTER                           ' Draw text with center justifying
            SelectObject ps.hdc, oft                                                            ' Restore context
            SetBkMode ps.hdc, md                                                                ' //
            EndPaint hwnd, ps                                                                   ' All is done
            Exit Function
        End Select
        ToolProc = CallWindowProc(lpPrev, hwnd, Msg, wParam, lParam)                            ' Process others by default
    End Function

Private Function GetFullTooltipText(FrmHwnd&, PartialT$) As String
    On Error Resume Next
    Dim PTL&: PTL = Len(PartialT$)

Dim f As Form, c As Control
        For Each f In Forms
            If (f.hwnd = FrmHwnd&) Then
                For Each c In f
                    If (Left(c.ToolTipText, PTL) = PartialT) Then
                        GetFullTooltipText = c.ToolTipText
                        Exit Function
                    End If
                Next
            End If
        Next
        'Not found? return partial text
        GetFullTooltipText = PartialT$
    End Function

Hyperactive Member

With The Trick's approval, I have made the following additions to his code:

- All Windows API calls are Unicode.
    - Added shagratt's suggested addition (post #8) for removing max length of tooltip.
    - Added shagratt's suggested addition (post #8) to use /// in tooltip to denote a vbNewLine.
    - Changed public procedure names: Hook to ToolTipHook, UnHook to ToolTipUnHook to avoid potential naming conflicts with other modules.
    - Made module-level variables private to avoid possible collision with variables in other modules.
    - Added public variable MLToolTipsOnlyIfCompiled that, if True, restricts the use of the hook to non-IDE (compiled) programs.
    - Took out alias for RtlMoveMemory and switched calls to CopyMemory to RtlMoveMemory (personal preference).
    - Changed capitalization of some variable names.
    - Changed variable name lpPrev to PrevWinProc (made more sense to me).

I haven't worked on theming yet (see posts 2, 3 and 4) but when I get some time I'll add that.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Addicted Member

I like to use this to complete Krool's work to make my app fully Unicode supporting. However, both compiled and in IDE the Unicode text that has been assigned to the tooltips shows as questionmarks only. (I tried with Russian and Thai on XP and Win10. Standard VB6 toolbar, and Krool's CommandButtonW.)

Do I need to do something special when assigning the Unicode texts to the tooltip properties?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin69 View Post
    I like to use this to complete Krool's work to make my app fully Unicode supporting. However, both compiled and in IDE the Unicode text that has been assigned to the tooltips shows as questionmarks only. (I tried with Russian and Thai on XP and Win10. Standard VB6 toolbar, and Krool's CommandButtonW.)

Do I need to do something special when assigning the Unicode texts to the tooltip properties?
    frm files stores all the string properties as ANSI. Please attach a small example.

Addicted Member

OK, a bit more background:

The Unicode texts are read from an UTF-16 file at runtime, and stored in a Class/collection.

When a form is opened, the translated texts are assigned to each of the controls on the form. Here is part of the code that handles that:

Code:
                With g_oTranslationCol.Item(i)
                    If .Index = -1 Then
                        'Form, replace caption
                        DefWindowProcW oForm.hWnd, &HC, 0&, StrPtr(.TranslatedText) ' &HC = WM_SetText
                    ElseIf .Index = 0 Then
                        'Single control, replace caption
                        If (TypeOf oForm.Controls.Item(sControlName) Is Menu) Then
                            'Skip
                        Else
                            oForm.Controls.Item(sControlName).Caption = .TranslatedText
                        End If
                    ElseIf .Index > 100 And .Index < 1000 Then
                        'Toolbar control, replace tooltip texts of button; remove last 3 characters used to make control ID unique
                        sControlName = Left(sControlName, Len(sControlName) - 3)
                        oForm.Controls.Item(sControlName).Buttons(.Index - 100).ToolTipText = .TranslatedText   'buttons array starts at 1, so no correction is needed
                    ElseIf .Index > 1000 And .Index < 10000 Then
                        'Tab control, replace tab-captions; remove last 4 characters used to make control ID unique
                        sControlName = Left(sControlName, Len(sControlName) - 4)
                        oForm.Controls.Item(sControlName).TabCaption(.Index - 1000 - 1) = .TranslatedText   'tab array starts at 0, so correction is needed
                    End If
                End With
    Using Krool's Common Controls Replacement objects, translations are applied without any problem to controls, but the tooltip only shows questionmarks. See picture. (Note: two screen captures combined in one picture, as the tooltip is not displayed when the dialog is open (in vbModal mode).)

Name:  Unicode ToolTip Problem.jpg
Views: 1999
Size:  28.9 KB

PowerPoster

I could not make display Unicode to any of the two projects, I get all question marks.
    I think when you assign a text to the VB ToolTipText property of an Extender, it must be converted to ANSI, but I'm not sure (since you say it works).

Test project attached, with some Chinese text.

This issue of the tool tips seems to be a stopper for full implementing Unicode with Krool's controls.

Hyperactive Member

I didn't like this tooltips routine for several reasons including quick show/hide. I wrote a better class module that does unicode here.

Addicted Member

OK, my question was quite some time ago, and at that stage I was experimenting with Unicode to figure out how to best deal with it. I can't remember what in the end the problem was, but my translations are now stored in UTF-8 files, and read into memory (a collection) with a specific routine. Assigning Unicode tooltips to the CCR Toolbar runs smoothly using the following code:

Code:
                    For Each oButton In oControl.Buttons
                        'Toolbar control, replace tooltip texts of button
                        sTranslationID = oForm.Name & "." & sControlName & "." & oButton.Key
                        If Not g_oTranslationCol.Item(sTranslationID) Is Nothing Then
                            oButton.ToolTipText = g_oTranslationCol.Item(sTranslationID).TranslatedText
                        End If
                    Next

Thanks a lot! And it can only display 127 characters, how to support display more content if need.

Addicted Member

I took the liberty to enhance The original module so it supports unicode text, and remove the 255-characters limit.
    I did so by allocating a pointer to store the unicode string, and save the pointer as the control's tooltiptext.
    When drawing, retrieve the string from pointer, and draw using DrawTextW.
    I didn't ask permission from the owner though. (Should I?)
    If anyone is interested, I will post the enhanced module.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Bone View Post
    I took the liberty to enhance The original module so it supports unicode text, and remove the 255-characters limit.
    I did so by allocating a pointer to store the unicode string, and save the pointer as the control's tooltiptext.
    Yes please

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Bone View Post
    Yes of course. On the contrary, I'm glad that the module is being improved.

Addicted Member

Usage:
    On Form_Load:
    Code:
    HookTTT
    To set unicode tooltiptext to control:
    Code:
    UniToolTip(ctl) = mytttStr
    or, to also set alignment in multiline text:
    Code:
    SetUniToolTip ctl, mytttStr, Alignment
    Where Alignment can be 0,1,2 (Left,Center,Right)
    Add 4 for Right-To-Left text (4,5,6)
    There is also an automate function to load an entire form's control's unicode tooltiptext, given the original codepage of your form.
    This will work even if the destination computer has a different codepage!
    Code:
    LoadTTT frm, CP
    Get tooltiptext:
    Code:
    myStr = UniToolTip(ctl)
    On Form_Unload (important!):
    Code:
    UnhookTTT
    FreeTTT Me
    FreeTTT is to free the memory allocated for strings.
    You can also use:
    Code:
    UniToolTip(ctl) = ""
    to free the memory.
    Every time you call HookTTT (e.g. calling in different forms), an internal counter is increased.
    When you call UnhookTTT, the counter is decreased, and when reached 0 - the hook is removed.
    To force hook removal - set parameter force to true.