Thread: Connection string syntax with TableAdapter

Connection string syntax with TableAdapter

Hi guys, I am trying to use a variable for the path to my database but am not having much luck with the syntax.

So I open my datasource and click on "Edit dataset with designer". I select the adapter I want to change and expand the "Connection" field.

The current connection string is: Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\temp\box.accdb

I tried changing it to: "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=" & splash.path & "\box.accdb"

but I get an error message appear which says "Property value is not valid: Format of the initialization string does not conform to specification starting at index 35."

Does anyone know the syntax I'm supposed to use?

Re: Connection string syntax with TableAdapter

There is no syntax that you're supposed to use. The connection string has to contain a connection string, not some VB code. If you want to change the connection string using VB code then you do that in the VB code. Done properly, that will look something like this:
    Code:
    Dim builder As New OleDbConnectionStringBuilder(myTableAdapter.Connection.ConnectionString)

builder.DataSource = IO.Path.Combine(splash.path, IO.Path.GetFileName(builder.DataSource))
    myTableAdapter.Connection.ConnectionString = builder.ConnectionString

Thanks mate, but where would I place that code?

Quote Originally Posted by amaru96 View Post
    Thanks mate, but where would I place that code?
    What is the point of the code? To change the connection string of a table adapter. Where do you want to change the connection string of a table adapter? That's where you put the code.