Thread: Simplest way to get ancient CR to run/print in .Net without buying new CR?

Frenzied Member

Simplest way to get ancient CR to run/print in .Net without buying new CR?

Issue: the original VB6 app that used Crystl32.ocx works fine on Win 7 64-bit EXCEPT that it won't print. They only use this app to print process instructions now so it's still running on XP.

I've upgraded the app to .Net (currently 2008 but I can go to 2013), which I believe has SOME CR capability but not sure how to use it or if it will work with such an old report (the RPT file is from 1998).

Is this as simple as adding a CR Viewer control? I only see the Microsoft ReportViewer control in the toolbox (on 2013).

Will I have to recreate the report (I've never done one)?

Or is there a simpler solution (eg, using SSRS on SQL Server 2008 R2)?

I'm fine with pulling the data out for the report. I just need advice on the easiest way of getting it into the proper format to print nicely without having to buy anything.

PowerPoster

Re: Simplest way to get ancient CR to run/print in .Net without buying new CR?

If your using the VB .Net Express edition, then there's no free CR available. If you bought VS then you can download a free version of CR that integrates with the IDE. I don't know what CR version you use for VB 2008 or 2013. I use VB 2005 and 2010. It should be to hard to find.

Sinecure devotee

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    ... It should be to hard to find.
    That seems to be Microsoft's opinion as well.

(funny how often those pesky contractions don't make it from our brains to our fingers)

Frenzied Member

I have VS 2008 Pro and 2013 Pro (Community technically) so the free part shouldn't be a problem. I had thought the Viewer was built into Pro. To be honest I have found SAP's site to be nothing but a pain in the past when I've tried to find things, but I'll try again.

Frenzied Member

The more I think about this the more I think I should just rewrite this report using MS ReportViewer control. From what I read it's supposed to be easy to use (from MS???) and I won't have to worry about any redistributables/licensing/large downloads onto my machine for 1 report.

So if you know of any good ReportViewer tutorials/examples for basic reports that would be much appreciated.