Thread: JIT error message and how to solve it?

Fanatic Member

Resolved JIT error message and how to solve it?

When I tried to run my program on another computer, I've got this message:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine, Version=13.0.2000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    File name: 'CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine, Version=13.0.2000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304'

(the rest of message isn't so important and therefore I decided to save a few hundreds of bytes)

This error message finishes with the following text:

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

I tried to find some help through searching engines but I still couldn't solve my problem. Microsoft officially suggests following method:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85%29.aspx

To enable Just-In-Time debugging of a Windows Form

Set the jitDebugging value in the machine.config or application.exe.config file, located in the system.windows.forms section to true. For example:

<configuration>
    </configuration>
    If my app is named as AAFS, I'd have to search for this content inside of AAFS.exe.config, right? BTW, I'm not sure where I can find machine.config file. Unfortunately, my application.exe.config file doesn't contain anything similar described above. There's no any 'system.windows.forms' block there so I'm not sure to put that code.
    Last edited by Goshx; Feb 15th, 2015 at 09:26 AM.

Re: JIT error message and how to solve it?

Be sure to include CrystalReports with your application files. To do this, double-click on your project name in the solution explorer, chose the Publish tab, and click on Application Files.... Once the Application Files dialog appears, find CrystalReports and be sure to include it.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Fanatic Member

That's OK, I know that I have to include CR files with project but I'd like to learn how properly to fix this kind of errors in the future?

You properly fix them by including all of the appropriate files in the install... that's what the error is telling you - it can't find certain assemblies that support the Crystal Reports functionality.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    You properly fix them by including all of the appropriate files in the install... that's what the error is telling you - it can't find certain assemblies that support the Crystal Reports functionality.

-tg
    I tried to listen dday9's instructions but I'm a little bit confused...

Namely, double-click on project's name in Solution Explorer does nothing. There's no any kind of reaction. Right click on name opens context menu with 'Publish...' option, but it doesn't contain any Publish tab. I'm usnig VS2010.

Double click the MyProject node just under the project name, or right-click the project as you have done, and select Properties from the very bottom of the menu.
    Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
    Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Vague general questions have vague general answers.
    A $100 donation is required for me to help you if you PM me asking for help. Instructions for donating to one of our local charities will be provided.

Fanatic Member

Thx, Kebo. I usually go via menu Project/ App Properties. It is the same thing, as I can see now.

Can someone explain what 'Pererequisite (Auto)' stands for? If it is Auto, why it can't include necessary files automatically?

"Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Fanatic Member

I like this article

Thank you guys. I have another question rather closely related with this topic but I'll open a new thread for that purpose.

By the way, the JIT Debugging that you were pursuing is something of a misdirection. That wouldn't help you solve this problem, and in this case it might even make the situations worse for you. All that would do would be allow you to see the problem from a different angle. In some cases, that can help. In this case, the real problem was the missing file, which would still have been missing whether you used JIT debugging or not, but it might have been more confusing with the JIT debugging.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Fanatic Member

I wanted to understand why we get a message which suggests to insert this piece of code:

<configuration>
    </configuration>

to be honest, I couldn't touch where we have to do that. Some guys here advised me to skip this topic. Yes, I solved my problem but I still couldn't find some answers on my questions. Never mind, next time would be better.
    Last edited by Goshx; Feb 12th, 2015 at 06:11 AM.

The by default, where you don't have the SDK (ala VS) installed, the JIT is configured to give minimal debugging information. All it provides is just a basic error message - like what you got. Changing the jitDebugging flag provides a MUCH more detailed error message... like what you get in VS when you run into an exception, the stack track, inner messages, etc. The idea being that if you're trying to troubleshoot an issue on a client machine where there is no VS, then you have the ability to get to the deepest level of detail it possibly can.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Fanatic Member

Yes, I understood.

But, if error report says that we have to change a flag inside of our app.config file, where we have to put this:

There's no any system.windows.forms namespace inside of my app config file.

No one said there was... that's why you would ADD it... you would add the jitDebugging flag to anywhere inside the config file between the configuration tags (which should cover the entire file).

-tg

The <configuration> section should be there, so you can just add the middle line. If you haven't messed with app.config then the <configuration> tags will cover most everything, as TG noted. If you have been using some WCF SOAP services, or other things, then there will be other sections. Just put that line somewhere in the <configuration> section where you will be able to find it again, because you may not want to leave it in there forever. Heck, you may not want it at all.

Fanatic Member

<configuration> section i my case is from the very beginning up to the end. <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" /> looks like a value but I can't determine where to put that value and how to determine surrounding XML script. I understand that this code should be there but.. I couldn't find any good tutorial how exactly (better to say, where) to do that.

You put it ANYWHERE in the file... as long as you don't tuck it into one of the other nodes as well... if it makes you feel better, jsut stick it as the VERY FIRST line following <configuration> ... or the VERY LAST line before the </configuration> ... other than that, it doesn't really matter where it is... as long as the "parent" for it is the configuration node (ie, don't tuck it inside the connectionstrings node, or the security node).

-tg

Fanatic Member

TG, you didn't understand my question. On which way somebody creates that XML node? What's the exact syntax of that node? You can't go there and simply put <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" /> anywhere you want, right? Some surrounding script should be there, I think.

Below this, look for that Microsoft. Net Construction application and increase it. You will discover two other choices namely, Windows Conversation Foundation HTTP Service and Windows Conversation Foundation Non-HTTP Service.
    If anyone want to know more Please click this link-
    how to make money,investments
    Last edited by faisalroman00dt; Feb 15th, 2015 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goshx View Post
    TG, you didn't understand my question. On which way somebody creates that XML node? What's the exact syntax of that node? You can't go there and simply put <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" /> anywhere you want, right? Some surrounding script should be there, I think.
    Why? Why must there be some script? Why any script... it's an xml file... it has nodes... it doesn't have script. And yes, you CAN just put it anywhere... it stands alone. It doesn't need to be surrounded by anything. If you happen to stick it in the wrong spot, it will violate the schema and VS will tell you its in the wrong spot.

-tg

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Why any script... it's an xml file... it has nodes... it doesn't have script.
    It isn't a script but I had to write some kind of name for that text. It is a markup script, to be more precise, but it sounds a bit ugly to write 'markup'.

And yes, you CAN just put it anywhere... it stands alone. It doesn't need to be surrounded by anything. If you happen to stick it in the wrong spot, it will violate the schema and VS will tell you its in the wrong spot.
    -tg
    I'm not an expert for XML but I above mentioned code sounded a bit strange for me. That's the main reason why I asked about the way how to implement that piece of text/script/code/markup

Markup is the right term... that's what the M in XML stands for: eXtensible Markup Language (although the use of "language" is arguable...) It's still not a script... but I'm done arguing the point. And probably done with this thread too.

-tg

Fanatic Member

sorry guys I had to reopen this topic.

I tried to execute my app on a computer with WinXP installed. Although I included all CrystalReports as dday9 suggested in 2nd post but I'm still getting a similar error message.

yes... it still points to CrystalReports.Engine but I inserted everything what I found in the app settings

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine, Version=13.0.2000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
    File name: 'CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine, Version=13.0.2000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304'
    at Stomatologija.frmKarton_LVProzor.BtnPrint_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
    To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
    Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
    To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3655 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    Asistent Stomatologa
    Assembly Version: 1.1.5524.18879
    Win32 Version: 1.8.003
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/bin/Asistent%20Stomatologa.exe
    Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
    System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3645 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3644 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3644 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Runtime.Remoting
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
    System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3654 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3654 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    ImageComboBox
    Assembly Version: 1.0.5505.24022
    Win32 Version: 1.0.5505.24022
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/bin/ImageComboBox.DLL
    FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient
    Assembly Version: 2.5.2.0
    Win32 Version: 2.5.2.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/bin/FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient.DLL
    System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
    System.Transactions
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.Transactions/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll
    System.Web
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3658 (GDR.050727-3600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.Web/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.dll
    System.EnterpriseServices
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.EnterpriseServices/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll
    System.Data.Entity
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Data.Entity/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.Entity.dll
    System.Core
    Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

PowerPoster

Did you run the setup on the target computer? Did you set the Target CPU to x86 in your app?

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Did you run the setup on the target computer?
    setup? of which kind? It is just a copy of bin folder without any setup.

Did you set the Target CPU to x86 in your app?
    yes, I did

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Goshx View Post
    setup? of which kind? It is just a copy of bin folder without any setup.

yes, I did
    No, when you publish your app, it creates a setup program (have you ran publish). Thats why you mark files to be included, so they will be installed during the setup. Look in the publish folder, it's under the application folder.

Fanatic Member

I know that you can create a setup file which will include all dependency files inside, but I wanted to do that without any kind of installation (of course, if it is possible). There are some practical reasons for that at this moment.

Right. You don't HAVE to create a setup file of any sort (and the means to do so have changed over the years).

Can you confirm that the 'installation' method that you are using works fine on computers other than XP? If so, then this really sounds like an XP issue. The x86 target may also be an issue, or related to the issue, since XP would be 32-bit. I know nothing about CR, but it has been around for a very long time, so I would certainly expect that it has a 32-bit version. What I don't know is whether "Version=13.0.2000.0" is the 32-bit version. I wouldn't expect this to be the case, but what is happening is that it is not finding CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine in with the installation. So, either it isn't there, or it is there...but isn't loadable for some reason.

Fanatic Member

I'll have to check that on a Win8.x machine, probably tomorrow.

Are you really sure that this should work without any run time files on a new machine?

PowerPoster

Right. You don't HAVE to create a setup file of any sort (and the means to do so have changed over the years).
    I've created many apps using CR and I've always had to either created a setup program that installs the necessary CR runtime or manually install the CR runtime on the target machine. I've never been able to just copy/paste from one machine to another. If that is possible then I'd like to hear more about the procedure.