Thread: data sources stopped working

Addicted Member

data sources stopped working

I have an application which has a Microsoft Access database as a data source. My OS was updated from 32 bit windows XP to 64 bit windows 7. I updated platform to (x86) but my data sources still don't work. When I try to run my application with the data sources that I built into it I get an error when I try to open my data connection. I tried creating a new data source for my application and that didn't work either.

When I try to run the application:
    "The 'Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine."

When I try to create a new data source:
    ""Unrecognized database format '\\crfile01\general\Revenue Management\Overland park CCC\Brians program files\user info.accdb'"

Code:
     Dim connectstring As String = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source='\\crfile01\general\Revenue Management\Overland park CCC\Brians program files\user info.accdb'"

Dim sql As String = "SELECT * from [users] where [User ID] ='" & user & "'"

Dim con As New OleDbConnection(connectstring)
            Dim cmd As OleDbCommand = New OleDbCommand(sql, con)

con.Open()
    the con.Open() is the line of code which throws the error.

PowerPoster

Re: data sources stopped working

Sounds like you need to download and install the MS Access runtime. Do you have MS Access installed on your machine? Also, make sure you have the app set to target x86.
    Google something like this "access ace runtime download"

No.. .stop....

This is the key right here:
    My OS was updated from 32 bit windows XP to 64 bit windows 7.

I'm guessing your'e using the "Any CPU" setting... which normally would be fine, except it will then try to use the 64-bit version of the provider, which doesn't exist. If you change it to x86 and leave it, it should start working again.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Sounds like you need to download and install the MS Access runtime. Do you have MS Access installed on your machine? Also, make sure you have the app set to target x86.
    Google something like this "access ace runtime download"
    I made sure my app is set up to target x86. I have MS access installed on my computer. I'm working on trying to get some 2007 data drivers installed. Will these need to be installed on every computer which runs my application?

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    No.. .stop....

This is the key right here:
    My OS was updated from 32 bit windows XP to 64 bit windows 7.

I'm guessing your'e using the "Any CPU" setting... which normally would be fine, except it will then try to use the 64-bit version of the provider, which doesn't exist. If you change it to x86 and leave it, it should start working again.

-tg
    I tried these things and the problem was not solved. I still can't use an existing data source or create a new one provided that the data is on a Microsoft Access database.