Thread: "The Man From Earth"

PowerPoster

"The Man From Earth"

This is a pretty decent film, though it starts slowly. It is best watched with others, so you can watch the reactions which may include a bit of squirming.

There are a few Star Trek franchise alumni in it.

You can currently find it on Hulu (free) and elsewhere, as well as on DVD or BluRay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_from_Earth

Official Site

Now they want to make a series, see their Kickstarter page which has an intro video.

Re: "The Man From Earth"

Nice one D,

Gordon R. Dickson was one of the first authors I followed growing up.

It was so sad that his talent faded with age.

The concept of an immortal man has been explored by many writers.
    I'm fond of Roger Zalazny's many books and characters. "This immortal" being one of them.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

Oh God, I loved that movie. Yea, its a bit slow but its the most sensible take on immortality(or at least agelessness) I have ever seen. The man's background was very well thought out. All the scientific commentary by his peers was also very well thought out. It made a lot of sense.
    Last edited by Niya; Feb 1st, 2015 at 02:03 PM.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. -jmcilhinney

PowerPoster

I saw it with 4 friends and the various reactions were quite interesting. One left the room 3/4 through and just said "let me know when you are done with that crap."

Life can indeed imitate art.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    One left the room 3/4 through and just said "let me know when you are done with that crap."
    I can understand if he walked out the first few minutes or so. I almost wasn't interested as it seemed way too slow in the start but it eventually got me. I love it when a show or movie gets you to think about stuff in a new and interesting way. Plus, it also aligned with the way I would think about the subject matter. One of the things that stood out was when he mentioned that he didn't know certain things because he wasn't present at the time. I was like, "somebody finally got it". Every other show I've seen that featured immortal characters always had me wondering if they were at all places at all times during their long life as they knew so much about history, even histories that were concurrently taking place at different corners of the globe. I always found that ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Life can indeed imitate art.
    lol the irony.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

Frenzied Member

I read the title and thought it was going to be an episode of The Twilight Zone

A lot of these so-called movies should really be twilight zone type episodes. A lot are effectively based on a single concept, which could make a short story. Not a whole movie. It's rare to find a movie that does justice to a single concept/short story. They end up dragging out stuff and completely missing the point.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Quote Originally Posted by jayinthe813 View Post
    I read the title and thought it was going to be an episode of The Twilight Zone
    That was "To Serve Man"

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    That was "To Serve Man"

-tg
    lol I remember that one. Very clever, that one.

It's a cookbook!!!!
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

I think the slow beginning is almost necessary to "set the stage" and introduce the players. But I agree it needs some kind of punching up there because it can easily lose your interest, lacking any "grabber." I'm just not sure what could be done.

I was also a litlte mystified by William Katt's character, the archaeologist, getting so cranky so early on. Nothing was said that conflicted with his world-view, and indeed his major source of agitation seemed to be that it didn't. Perhaps some form of professional jealosy? Or maybe he just felt that his leg was being pulled harder than the others', being singled out to be picked on?

The silly question I was left with was if his name was always "John" I wonder how it was pronounced in his early life? Sort of a croaking reverse burp sound maybe?

PowerPoster

I always like Shatner's thing-on-the-wing episode ("Nightmare at 20,000 Feet") of Twilight Zone myself, even though when I went to bed after first watching it I sure wan't going to open the bedroom curtains. Of course I was like 7.

But "It's a Good Life" sure was a scary one. Creepy role for young Billy Mumy for sure. Talk about a dysfunctional family!

I particularly liked Silent Valley, except that it should have been longer. That was a difficult moral problem to work through in what amounted to a single monologue to wrap up the segment.

Monsters on Maple Street is one of my favorites for Twilight Zone episodes.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Monsters on Maple Street is one of my favorites for Twilight Zone episodes.

-tg
    Yeah, that really is a good episode. It's amazing how relevant The Twilight Zone still is today.

Another one that I really liked was Time Enough at Last. I knew the outcome from the opening scene, but it was still entertaining.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Another one that I really liked was Time Enough at Last. I knew the outcome from the opening scene, but it was still entertaining.
    I just started binge watching them on Netflix. Some of them go really deep and make you think about humanity. Its fascinsting how time has changed but thiNgs havnt really chsnged. So far the episodes have been really well written.

I dread getting to the end because then I have to find something else new to watch and I'm running out of really good acclaimed series.
    Last edited by jayinthe813; Feb 3rd, 2015 at 09:54 PM.

We were throwing out (not literally) some books, and I told my wife to keep every book with short stories in it. They will never, ever be read again because they only exist in print in the one physical book. Unless the author is (or becomes) famous, they will never hit the internet. Of course, some stories are just dross.

These short stories have a lot of really provoking concepts that leave your mind wanting more. That's what these 'movies' should do: not play out the concept to its bitter end, but leave you wanting to reanalyze the concept to get your imagination going.

Is there any show like the twilight zone, any more?
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley View Post
    We were throwing out (not literally) some books, and I told my wife to keep every book with short stories in it. They will never, ever be read again because they only exist in print in the one physical book. Unless the author is (or becomes) famous, they will never hit the internet. Of course, some stories are just dross.

These short stories have a lot of really provoking concepts that leave your mind wanting more. That's what these 'movies' should do: not play out the concept to its bitter end, but leave you wanting to reanalyze the concept to get your imagination going.
    The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) I think does that very well... at the end, it wasn't all rainbows and unicorns... it left a little bit to the imagination... the story ran its course, then left it to the viewer to imagine what happens next, it didn't wrap everytihng up in a nice neat bow. I always seem to forget this (joyfully so) and then watch it, and i'm left surprised at the end... But what about the ------? and the -----------? And do they get ------------ ---------- ------------ ---------- -------- ---------?

At the same time, there's a delecate blalance, how do you keep the viewer stringing along, but without it turning into a gimmick? That's where I think most shows screw it up the most (books too). The series gets so strung out that the gimmick becomes so gimmicky that it's a turn off. I've stopped watching shows because of that (Hawaii 5-O, Gotham, The Mentalist, and soon Person of Interest will be added to the list).

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley View Post
    Is there any show like the twilight zone, any more?
    Not really... maybe Doctor Who... but I'm not sure that's quite the same... but each episode is discrete and sometimes does touch upon humanity, but it's so wrapped up in SciFi, it loose some of the effect.

I think I mentioned it before, but one of my favorite book series these days is "The Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher.

The SciFi channel bastardized the book and characters. Terrible stuff.

The books though are great. Non-stop action and likable characters.
    Dark topic one minute, slap your knee funny the next.
    The first book is a bit slow as it is introducing the characters.
    The next thirteen installments take off big time.

I believe he has #16 in the works and up to twenty something to go.

~T

Quote Originally Posted by Gruff View Post
    I think I mentioned it before, but one of my favorite book series these days is "The Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher.

The SciFi channel bastardized the book and characters. Terrible stuff.

The books though are great. Non-stop action and likable characters.
    Dark topic one minute, slap your knee funny the next.
    The first book is a bit slow as it is introducing the characters.
    The next thirteen installments take off big time.

I believe he has #16 in the works and up to twenty something to go.
    I loved it when he took Sue out for a run...
    I need to pick up the last couple ones.

-tg

Sue. Sue... I don't remember the reference. Was sue the tyrannosaur skeleton?

~T

Sue is the name of the T-Rex at the Museum of Natural Sciences in Chicago. Harry animated her in one book, I forget exactly why.

-tg

Ummm. i think the lore was "The older the animated zombie, the more powerful it was". Also didn't Bob do the driving?

~T

Yes on both accounts.

Bob cracks me up.

-tg