Thread: Display custom control over form borders

Hybrid View

Display custom control over form borders

Hi guys!

I am trying to create a custom combobox that can display multiple columns.

A problem I have is that i want to show the dropdown list over the form borders or any container borders but I have no idea how to do that.
    Is there a Windows API that cand do just that?

For the vb6 combobox this is default behavior, when the list is bigger than the form borders it goes over, and I want my control to be able to do the exact same thing.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thank you

Frenzied Member

Re: Display custom control over form borders

Tried this myself some time ago but put it on the back burner unresolved. I was trying to do it with a normal Listbox.
    A Bing for 'Listbox like Combo' turned up this http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1698989 which may be of interest.
    I wonder if the ListBox or other Controls in Krools collection have such abilities; if not an idea for him perhaps...
    Another one of interest from Krool at http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...lete-interface which may have some of the behaviour you want albeit only with a single column.

Off top of my head, this is not a trivial task and can be done at least a few ways I can think of. All but 1 are advanced. But first, have you searched this forum's Code & Utility banks? Multicolumn comboboxes have been attempted quite often since VB has been around and I'm sure there are several good examples you can learn/borrow from.

1) Easiest: use a separate borderless form (maybe with a borderless listview or custom drawn listing). Load the form, position it under the control and then show the form as owned and set focus to it. When the form loses focus or user clicks on something else, hide the form. When you display the form, you will have to design a way to kinda have your code wait for it to hide

2) Subclass a real combobox and make it owner-drawn. This requires some serious effort in catching the combobox before VB actually creates it so you can change the style properties to at least include CBS_OWNERDRAWFIXED. Once this is done, you are responsible for drawing the text

3) Similar to #1, except instead of using a VB control, create an API window (has benefit of being unicode-compatible)

4) Use whatever is being used now and when the dropdown should happen, create a menu class or other window class via the CreateWindowEx API. Draw your list on that window

Ideas 2-4 do require subclassing
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Jan 29th, 2015 at 09:25 AM.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Quote Originally Posted by JazzAddict View Post
    A problem I have is that i want to show the dropdown list over the form borders or any container borders but I have no idea how to do that.

For the vb6 combobox this is default behavior, when the list is bigger than the form borders it goes over, and I want my control to be able to do the exact same thing.
    The ListBox component of a ComboBox isn't actually "embedded" in the ComboBox itself, unlike with the TextBox portion. It isn't a child of the ComboBox, nor of the parent Form. Rather, it is a child of the Desktop window, just like ToolTips are. That's the reason the ListBox part of a ComboBox isn't clipped by the ComboBox's container - it's because it is outside (and above) the Form. In order to emulate the behavior of the intrinsic ComboBox's ListBox companion, you should change the parent of your custom ComboBox's ListBox to the Desktop window. Here's an example:

Code:
    Option Explicit 'Add a CheckBox and UserControl1 to a blank Form

Private Declare Function GetWindowLongW Lib "user32.dll" (ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal nIndex As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function SetWindowLongW Lib "user32.dll" (ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal nIndex As Long, ByVal dwNewLong As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function SetParent Lib "user32.dll" (ByVal hWndChild As Long, Optional ByVal hWndNewParent As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function SetWindowPos Lib "user32.dll" ( _
                  ByVal hWnd As Long, _
         Optional ByVal hWndInsertAfter As Long, _
         Optional ByVal X As Long, Optional ByVal Y As Long, _
         Optional ByVal cx As Long, Optional ByVal cy As Long, _
         Optional ByVal uFlags As Long _
    ) As Long

Private Sub TurnChildToPopupWnd(ByVal hWndChild As Long)
        Const GWL_STYLE = -16&, WS_CHILD = &H40000000, WS_POPUP = &H80000000
        Const GWL_EXSTYLE = -20&, WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW = &H80&
        Const HWND_TOPMOST = -1&, SWP_NOSIZE = &H1&, SWP_NOMOVE = &H2&

'Make the desktop window the new parent window
        SetParent hWndChild
       '"Clear the WS_CHILD bit ..."
        SetWindowLongW hWndChild, GWL_STYLE, GetWindowLongW(hWndChild, GWL_STYLE) And Not WS_CHILD
       '"... and set the WS_POPUP style"
        SetWindowLongW hWndChild, GWL_STYLE, GetWindowLongW(hWndChild, GWL_STYLE) Or WS_POPUP
       'Prevent the window from appearing in the taskbar or in the Alt+Tab dialog
        SetWindowLongW hWndChild, GWL_EXSTYLE, GetWindowLongW(hWndChild, GWL_EXSTYLE) Or WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW
       'Place the window above all non-topmost windows
        SetWindowPos hWndChild, HWND_TOPMOST, uFlags:=SWP_NOSIZE Or SWP_NOMOVE
    End Sub

Private Sub Check1_Click()
        UserControl11.Visible = Check1 = vbChecked
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
        TurnChildToPopupWnd UserControl11.hWnd
    End Sub
    Code:
    Option Explicit 'In UserControl1

Public Property Get hWnd() As OLE_HANDLE
        hWnd = UserControl.hWnd
    End Property
    On Local Error Resume Next: If Not Empty Is Nothing Then Do While Null: ReDim i(True To False) As Currency: Loop: Else Debug.Assert CCur(CLng(CInt(CBool(False Imp True Xor False Eqv True)))): Stop: On Local Error GoTo 0
    Declare Sub CrashVB Lib "msvbvm60" (Optional DontPassMe As Any)

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by JazzAddict View Post
    Hi guys!

I am trying to create a custom combobox that can display multiple columns.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thank you
    For easier coding, I think you'd better use one TextBox + picButton (PictureBox) + ListBox to make your customized multiColumn-ComboBox. You have to use Mr.Bonnie's above trick to place ListBox at the Topmost while DropDown.

Frenzied Member

You should add some codes to check the ListBox's boundary. perhaps you will use some APIs like GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXSCREEN),GetWindowRect to compute new boundary then use SetWindowPos API to re-position the ListBox.

PowerPoster

This won't give you your multiple columns but it will give you your drop-down list to show over the top or bottom borders of your Form.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jmsrickland; Jan 30th, 2015 at 12:17 PM.

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

Thank you guys for the replies

I have been out for the past few weeks with personal problems so i haven't been able to work on that control.

I was thinking of using a borderless form to show the multi column part.

I will be back with the control as soon as I get to write it.