Thread: [RESOLVED] Possible bad PSU

Resolved [RESOLVED] Possible bad PSU

So I was simply sitting there. Computer was off, when there was a loud crack-pop sound, and I'd swear I saw a blue light flash from inside the computer case. I quickly pulled the power cable out the back, unhooked everything, noticed a whisp of smoke from the fan port of the PSU.

I pulled the case off, and looked around. I don't see any scorch marks or melted components on the mobo... I'm reasonably sure it's OK. I haven't gone so far as to completely pull it yet though.

I suspect the PSU is bad. But I've pulled it and opened it up (warranty shmarranty)... from the inside it looks OK as well. Other than shoving it into another case and hooking it all back up, anyone have any suggestions on the best AND SAFEST way to test the PSU to see if it's bad?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Re: Possible bad PSU

Never mind... After examining the PSU further, I noticed a "shadow" on the side, that wasn't moving...I pulled on the side to take a look... sure enough, there's a nickle-sized scorched mark on the side of the PSU casing. Argh...

Fortunately PSUs aren't all that expensive, and I'd rather it was the PSU that blows and not the mobo.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Re: Possible bad PSU

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Never mind... After examining the PSU further, I noticed a "shadow" on the side, that wasn't moving...I pulled on the side to take a look... sure enough, there's a nickle-sized scorched mark on the side of the PSU casing. Argh...

Fortunately PSUs aren't all that expensive, and I'd rather it was the PSU that blows and not the mobo.

-tg
    There's two kinds of people on the world: those that appreciate the need for a good quality Power Supply, and those that are overly-aware that you can spend anywhere from $40 to $400 on a Power Supply, and think cost is the 1st priority.

Which are you?

I'm asking because I don't want to give "the lecture" to someone that doesn't need it.