Thread: Need Help to Make Download Manager

Need Help to Make Download Manager

Hello all,

i want to make a download manager(copying software) to copy files from a vpn network.
    i belong from aeronautical department and i don't have any academic knowledge in VB.

Problem: we have a destination directory (in remote).where required files are maintained(files added daily) by their name in folder format. in those folders one .zip file is present. we need to download those required zip files.
    we have an existing download manager where we type the name of the cases(name format: DQJL0****, first two stars numeric and second two alphabet ) one by one at a time and hit ENTER, after that download starts. but the tool doesn't show progress bar or download speed. and also we can not pause or resume.

i need to make such an application manager that shows progress bar and download speed and if possible resume and pause facility.

Please help me out.

Thanks and Regards
    Sachin

PowerPoster

Re: Need Help to Make Download Manager

Quote Originally Posted by sachin629 View Post
    i need to make such an application manager that shows progress bar and download speed and if possible resume and pause facility.
    Here is a Link to a Demo-Project which does just that:
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...multiple-Files

The restriction is, that the FileSize per single Download shouldn't exceed 2GByte -
    otherwise (beside the mentioned http:// and ftp:// protocols) - downloads from
    (VPN-mapped) Network-Drives or UNC-Paths should work as well with the approach.

Worth a try IMO.

Olaf

And in the code bank there is another option which uses just a VB6 usercontrol and its built in downloading ability. However, I don't think it directly supports pause & resume. Since it can download async, creating a simple progress bar is simple enough
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    And in the code bank there is another option which uses just a VB6 usercontrol and its built in downloading ability.
    That's exactly what my Example is based on as well - not each and every Codebank-
    Submission of mine has a RC5-lib-dependency ...
    (the hosting-location of the Zip-DownloadLink might have misled you though)

Olaf

Fanatic Member

I also like the usercontrol asynchread approach. No dependencies, no API, very easy to write and maintain.

That's what i used to write my own download manager. Similar in principle to what LaVolpe suggested, I used this code base.

On the pro side :

-complete ready to run project
    -well commented, easy to understand and modify

On the down side :

-it does not automatically save files : there is a SaveAs method in the project but it is left for you to decide how and when to use it.

From this project, it was easy to turn it into a more featured download manager, supporting multiple file download, progress bar and automatic saving of downloaded files to any folder (and quite a few other features).

Look it up

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    (the hosting-location of the Zip-DownloadLink might have misled you though)

Olaf
    It did
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}