Thread: [RESOLVED] Missing .frm file

Resolved [RESOLVED] Missing .frm file

We recently discovered that the .frm file for one of our VB6 projects is missing.
    We have searched extensively for it but it cannot be found.
    We have the .vbp, .vbw, and .exe files, but not the .frm.
    Does anyone know any way to recover the .frm file, or perhaps create a dummy .frm file?
    I can rebuild the project if I can just gain access to the code.
    I have a source code listing but would sure like to find a way to rebuild this without having to type it all in from scratch.
    So far I have been unable to even determine where the source code is stored.
    Thank you.

Re: Missing .frm file

You can start a new project, and create a new form that way with the same name (then just copy the .frm file over).

Unfortunately the code is stored in the .frm file, so without it your options are limited... and I'm afraid to say that the source code listing you've got is by far the best option for getting it back. If you got a soft-copy (such as a Word document) you can copy+paste, but if you've only got a printed copy then you'll need to either type it back in, or use OCR to scan it so you can copy+paste.

Do you have the .exe anywhere?

----If this post has helped you. Please take time to Rate it.
    ----If you've solved your problem, then please mark it as RESOLVED from Thread Tools.

Yes we do.

So you have the source code but not the form itself? the UI?
    Are you after the GUI or the Form complete with source code?

----If you've solved your problem, then please mark it as RESOLVED from Thread Tools.

I just learned today that the source code is embedded in the .frm file and so we do not have the source code.
    It is a quite lengthy program and I have a hard copy listing, but was looking for some recovery path that did not require manually typing it all in from scratch.

I just learned today that the source code is embedded in the .frm file and so we do not have the source code.
    It is a quite lengthy program and I have a hard copy listing, but was looking for some recovery path that did not require manually typing it all in from scratch.

Re: [RESOLVED] Missing .frm file

You're pretty much left with either finding out where the .frm is or rewriting it all.

Quote Originally Posted by MIke Y View Post
    Still a far cry better than not having the hardcopy

Edited. If you don't have access to OCR software and you can scan the pages, might want to try on-line OCR readers? If the scan quality is good, may very well save you hours of coding & debugging due to typos.

Unfortunately, you may not have the frx file either, if it existed. That would've contained stuff like embedded images, combo/listbox items, length text/captions, etc.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Jan 16th, 2015 at 02:32 PM.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}