Thread: VS 2013 Data Sources Explorer Window Sort DataSet Fields Alphabetically

VS 2013 Data Sources Explorer Window Sort DataSet Fields Alphabetically

I have multiple Data Sources in my project each with tons of fields(columns) in each. When I use the Data Sources Explorer window is there a way to have it sort the fields in Alphabetical order instead of the rather random listing of column names? That way if I want to say look for the First Name field it will be in alphabetical order instead of the current state where it may be towards the end of the list when I expand the DataSet via the Data Source Window Explorer in the IDE.

Thanks.

Re: VS 2013 Data Sources Explorer Window Sort DataSet Fields Alphabetically

I think that it gets the columns in the same order as they're defined in the data source itself and I'm not aware of any way to change that.

Re: VS 2013 Data Sources Explorer Window Sort DataSet Fields Alphabetically

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    I think that it gets the columns in the same order as they're defined in the data source itself and I'm not aware of any way to change that.
    I logged into our SQL Server 2008 database and sure enough the same order. To make things worse looks like you can't change it either.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Foru...912-146-1.aspx

Even though you can't change it in the Visual Studio IDE, the article above tells you how to do it in the SQL Management Studio in a around the about way so to speak as it doesn't actually change the order, but may make it easier for you to locate a field. Hope that helps someone. Thanks (jmcilhinney) for pointing that out.