Thread: Reset label/textbox to design time value

Hyperactive Member

Resolved Reset label/textbox to design time value

Hi

Something I've oddly never thought about until today.

I have a label, it's design time text is 'My Label'.

At run time, that text is changed to 'New text'.

At run time, can I get the original value of the text 'My Label' from the control itself, i.e. 'My Label? Yes I could use variables etc or the tag, but is there an easier way?

I see there is Label1.ResetText which resets the text to its default value, what is its default value and where/how is it set?

Ta
    Last edited by Help321; Jan 13th, 2015 at 05:19 PM.
    Why do today what you can tomorrow...

Re: Reset label/textbox to design time value

The default value relates to the Property Datatype, which as a Label.Text is Type String, is ""

To retain your 'design time' string, you will need to store that value in a variable. If you look at the designer file, all the designer is doing is setting the specific text for the label.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Right. There's no magic going on in the designer. It's probably worth looking at the .designer.vb file, as you will see that all the stuff you do in the designer is just turned into .NET code that is the same as code you could write. In fact, I have an app that was largely created without the IDE by a generator. I also have an app where there are forms that can't be displayed in the designer. Neither of these are issues, because the forms are really created by code.

The other thing you would note from the .designer.vb file is that the text set in the designer is nothing special. It isn't stored or used in any way that suggests that it came from the designer as opposed to anywhere else.

The question gets asked every other month or so, and the answer is always the same: If you want to reset your form back to how it was when first shown, you have to do it yourself. There isn't normally any shortcut.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Hyperactive Member

Thanks all. I've always used variables to do this. It just dawned on me today that there really should be an easier way. At run time it knows what the original value is, so there's no reason why there couldn't be a Label1.ResetTextToOriginal function to save messing about.

So I thought I'd ask the question just in case I'd been missing something after all these years.
    Why do today what you can tomorrow...

Well, you could make one as an extension, but it's probably more work than it is worth. MS could have created the property such that it stored the first value set for the property, then allowed restoration through a method. That would have added a very small cost for a seldom used benefit. From what I have seen, when the benefit is not high, MS doesn't create framework code that incurrs additional cost.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing