Thread: [RESOLVED] Center Of DGV Visible Area

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Center Of DGV Visible Area

Hi,

I want to display a label in the center of a Datagridview if there is no data to be shown, how can I find the exact center of the visible area of the datagridview?

Re: Center Of DGV Visible Area

You don't really need to. I've never done it so I might not have all the details but you should be able to handle the Paint event of the grid and then use GDI+ to draw the text. When you call DrawString, you can specify the entire grid area as the Rectangle in which to draw and you can specify that the text be centred both horizontally and vertically. It will then happen automatically, even if the grid gets resized.

Hyperactive Member

Hi,

the draw string method of the graphics path only allows me to draw the string from a specific point which I set to width/2 and height/2 but this doesn't draw it anywhere near the center

Quote Originally Posted by Leary222 View Post
    Hi,

the draw string method of the graphics path only allows me to draw the string from a specific point which I set to width/2 and height/2 but this doesn't draw it anywhere near the center
    No, that's not the case. The Graphics.DrawString method is overloaded and allows you to specify where and how the String is drawn in a variety of ways. There is one that has. among others, parameters of types RectangelF and StringFormat. The RectangleF can be based on the Size of the grid, and the StringFormat can specify both horizontal and vertical centering.

Hyperactive Member

Code:
    grfx.DrawString("No Data To Display", New Font("Arial", 12), Brushes.Black, New Rectangle(QuestionsDataGrid.Location, QuestionsDataGrid.Size), New StringFormat(StringAlignment.Center))
    I've tried the above now I cant even see the text within the visible datagrid, can you please help further?

The RectangleF you specify is relative to the grid itself, while the grid's Location is relative to its parent control. When you create the RectangleF you need to specify (0, 0) as the location of its upper-left corner.

Hyperactive Member

Brilliant, thanks for that, how can I apply it to all datagridviews throughout my application or would I need to add it manually to the paint event of each individual control

Brilliant, thanks for that, how can I apply it to all datagridviews throughout my application or would I need to add it manually to the paint event of each individual control
    The best option is to take advantage of the fact that VB.NET is an object-oriented language and use inheritance to build the functionality into the controls themselves. Create your own class that inherits DataGridView, override its OnPaint method and put the functionality in there. You might add a property for the text if it might vary from one control to another or hard-code the text if it won't change. You then simply use your control instead of a vanilla DataGridView and the rest happens automatically.

Hyperactive Member

Code:
        Public Class DGV
            Inherits DataGridView
            Protected Overrides Sub OnPaint(ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.PaintEventArgs)
                MyBase.OnPaint(e)
                If Me.RowCount = 0 Then
                    Using grfx As Graphics = e.Graphics
                        Dim a As New StringFormat
                        a.Alignment = StringAlignment.Center
                        a.LineAlignment = StringAlignment.Center
                        grfx.DrawString("No Data To Display", New Font("Arial", 12), Brushes.Black, New RectangleF(New Point(0, 0), Me.Size), a)
                    End Using
                End If

End Sub
        End Class
    ive done the above, but how do I add this as a control, its not showing in the toolbox?

its not showing in the toolbox?
    After building your project, you should find a new section in the Toolbox for components defined in the current solution, in which your new control should appear.

I'd recommend a better name than DGV though. If you don't want to bother with a name that specifically describes the new functionality, one common convention when extending an existing control is to simply add "Ex" to the end of the name, so you could call your control DataGridViewEx.

By the way, while it's not a big deal, it's more correct to use `Point.Empty` than `New Point(0, 0)` and, in this case, more correct still to use `PointF.Empty`. Also, you might also consider replacing this:
    Code:
    Dim a As New StringFormat
    a.Alignment = StringAlignment.Center
    a.LineAlignment = StringAlignment.Center
    with this:
    Code:
    Dim a As New StringFormat With {.Alignment = StringAlignment.Center,
                                    .LineAlignment = StringAlignment.Center}
    and at least use variable names that make some sense, e.g. `sf` for a StringFormat.

Hyperactive Member

thanks for your help and suggestions, i wanted to get the functionality to work before renaming the variables.

however i wasn't aware of the way of initialising the string format the way you did above many thanks