Thread: Adapt form dimension according to screen resolution

Adapt form dimension according to screen resolution

I saw so many online solutions that are genuinely really confused on how to do this.
    I would like to adapt my application and in particular the size of all its controls to the resolution of the PC.
    Some customers have complained because their resolution is not possible to display some parts of my application, so I decided to find a solution to this.
    The fact is that everything I've tried so far has not worked, there is someone who pul help me do this most effectively?

Re: Adapt form dimension according to screen resolution

Some designs won't resize well. That's just how it goes. Generally, you can do a fairly good job by being careful as to how you anchor and dock the controls on the form, but if the form can be resized as it moves, this will not always look good. The form can always be shrunk to the point where it won't look good, or expanded to the size where it doesn't look reasonable or has lots of empty space. I doubt there is one solution that works in all cases.

For example, I have a form that is always full-screen, but the number of controls on the screen (they are just icons of two sizes) depends on the screen resolution. Those controls are all created dynamically for the screen that they are displayed on. If that form was shrunk, it wouldn't look good at all, though, and if it was expanded, it would just mean wasted space. On forms that I expect to have resize, I pay attention to the anchoring of the controls and test it out. There's no one right answer here. If the form is shrunk sufficiently, some controls will overlap others, so it's a matter of preference as to how it should behave.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Some designs won't resize well. That's just how it goes. Generally, you can do a fairly good job by being careful as to how you anchor and dock the controls on the form, but if the form can be resized as it moves, this will not always look good. The form can always be shrunk to the point where it won't look good, or expanded to the size where it doesn't look reasonable or has lots of empty space. I doubt there is one solution that works in all cases.

For example, I have a form that is always full-screen, but the number of controls on the screen (they are just icons of two sizes) depends on the screen resolution. Those controls are all created dynamically for the screen that they are displayed on. If that form was shrunk, it wouldn't look good at all, though, and if it was expanded, it would just mean wasted space. On forms that I expect to have resize, I pay attention to the anchoring of the controls and test it out. There's no one right answer here. If the form is shrunk sufficiently, some controls will overlap others, so it's a matter of preference as to how it should behave.
    If I pass you in pv my sample project, can you make my UI app. responsive?

Not really my thing, frankly, especially since how a form should respond to different sizes is largely an artistic call that only the designer can make. But why are you talking about the app being responsive. An app will size itself in some fashion, no matter what. You may not like how it does it, but that's where the subjectivity comes into it.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing