Thread: Creating a Virtual Directory against a shared folder.

Creating a Virtual Directory against a shared folder.

This is more of an IIS question than an actual ASP/ASP.NET question. If it needs to be moved, please move accordingly.

Situation - client has a system that produces images which we need to link to via our web application. The files are stored on a different server from where our application will reside. ORiginally we were going to provide file:/// links to the files, but we're finding that problematic as they do not render correctly into clickable links. Part of it is our platform, part of it is the browsers shutting down the links.

The folder where the files will reside is in a shared folder.

I was sent the following instruction:
    - Create a network share for your image drive
    - Map that network share as drive on web server
    - In IIS, create a virtual directory/application that points to your “mapped drive”

Ok, so in our sandbox, I was able to set this up. I created a shared folder on the server, mapped to it, then added a Virtual Directory in IIS from my machine to the mapped drive.

But when I then navigate to the virtual folder, I get a 500 internal server error. When I then set it up on the server, back to itself so I can try it as localhost... I get a more detailed error:
    500.19 - Internal Server Error
    The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid.

If I set up a second VDir, this time direct to the folder (bypassing the mapped drive) then it works as expected.

I'm guessing that it has something to do with the folder permissions. I think I have that all correct and as open as it can possibly be.

In short:
    On FileServer, there is a share.
    On WebServer, there is a mapped drive to the share on file server
    From IIS, there is a Virtual Directory that is mapped to the mapped drive
    I'm getting nothing but errors accessing the Virtual Directory.

Anyone more knowledgeable about IIS than me (which shouldn't be too hard) that might have an idea on how to make this work?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Re: Creating a Virtual Directory against a shared folder.

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    This is more of an IIS question than an actual ASP/ASP.NET question. If it needs to be moved, please move accordingly.
    Not sure where, you have a computer admin question and this is a programmers' forum site.

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    If I set up a second VDir, this time direct to the folder (bypassing the mapped drive) then it works as expected.

I'm guessing that it has something to do with the folder permissions. I think I have that all correct and as open as it can possibly be.
    Wild guess:

Drive mappings are per-user-context (not even simply per-user in this era of split-token sessions: elevated vs. standard user). Perhaps the user and context that your page script runs in doesn't have the drive mapped?

Have you tried a UNC path to the share?

Possible accounts for IIS web sites:

IUSR_MachineName
    IWAM_MachineName
    ASPNET or Network Service account
    The account you specified
    The account you used to log on to your Web application

Re: Creating a Virtual Directory against a shared folder.

Yeah, I knew it was a bit of long shot here.

IIS won't take a UNC, only a drive designation.

I thought access might be the issue, which is why the share is supposed to be completely open. I'll have to double check on it, maybe I missed something.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *