Thread: (VS2010) How can I: Datagridview specific column data to change search box color

(VS2010) How can I: Datagridview specific column data to change search box color

I have a VB form with a local database containing contacts. I have one column that specifies if the contact is local or not . I would like to make it so that if the user searches for a specific contact, it will check the specific column and change the search box color accordingly.. (Red for not local contact, Green for yes)

I have created a query with the database using Contact_Name LIKE ? + '%'
    Which is the search box I want for color changing per column data.
    and thought I could add an "If" statement there. So far I've tried using

Code:
    If Datagridviewcolumn.Equals("Yes") Then
    Param1ToolStripTextBox.BackColor = Color.LightGreen
    End If
    And

Code:
    Datagridviewcolumn4.Contains
    But this isn't producing any action.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Re: (VS2010) How can I: Datagridview specific column data to change search box color

How can a DataGridViewColumn be equal to "Yes"? One is a DataGridViewColumn and one is a String. What you care about is the Value of one cell in that column. Presumably this is happening when you select a particular row in the grid, although you haven't really explained that clearly. Assuming that, you might do something like this:
    Code:
    If CStr(myDataGridView.CurrentRow.Cells(4).Value) = "Yes" Then

Re: (VS2010) How can I: Datagridview specific column data to change search box color

Thank you for your response.
    But this Code:

Code:
    If CStr(myDataGridView.CurrentRow.Cells(4).Value) = "Yes" Then
    Provides no action either.

I'm sorry if I didn't explain it clearly. What I'm trying to achieve is after a user searches for a contact, I want it to check the value of Column "Local Contact" (cell containing yes or no) of the current row. Based on yes or no, it will change an objects back color.

I'm currently trying this:

Code:
    If CStr(ContactsDataGridView.CurrentRow.Cells.Item("Local Contact").Value) Is "Yes" Then
                Param1ToolStripTextBox.BackColor = Color.LightGreen
            End If
    But I get
    Column named Local Contact cannot be found.
    Parameter name: columnName
    Last edited by Jiero; Jan 3rd, 2015 at 07:45 PM.

The issue is obvious then: you have no column with that name. The text you see in the header of the column in the UI is NOT the name. If you want to get a column by name then you have to provide the value of the Name property of that column, not the value of its HeaderText property.