Thread: [RESOLVED] Imports

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Imports

I use Visual Studio as my IDE and am currently learning visual basic from some tutorials. I currently have a project that has two files. One of them is a class file (Person) that contains a number of public subroutines and functions as well as some private variables. Additionally, I have a form file (frmPerson) that has the command, "Imports Person" in the first line.

The form file is having no trouble calling the subroutines and functions in the class file, but there is an error that shows up in the Imports Person line and I get the following:

Namespace or type in the Imports Person Doesn't contain any public members or cannot be found. Make sure that the Namespace or the type is defined and contains at least one public member. Make sure that the imported element name doesn't have any alias.

I cannot see any evidence that I have any aliases that would cause this error and the class file indeed has public subroutines and functions. As for a Namespace am I supposed to include one in one of the files and if so, how is this done in VB?

Any help would be appreciated as this is driving me crazy and I cannot find anything on this.

Hyperactive Member

Re: Imports

Wouldn't you know that as soon as I ask for help I find the answer? It turns out that I needed to add the project name to the line and it should have been:

Imports projectName.Person

Re: Imports

1-Please mark this thread as Resolved
    2-Although you say you are using VB (visual basic), I believe you are still using visual Basic 2010 (as seen in other posts).So, if you are NOT using Visual Basic 6, please post future questions/problems in the .NET section of this forum...this part is for Visual Basic 6 and Earlier.
    3-Have a great West Coast day!

Hyperactive Member

Re: [RESOLVED] Imports

Done and done. Thanks.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Moved
    You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

If you are still around, I'm curious as to why you are using that Imports statement anyways? I can't think of any advantage that it would confer.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Hyperactive Member

I am going through some tutorials (VB is new to me) and that is what they were using. I have since learned of better ways, like Namespaces, to achieve the same end.

GW

I was thinking they might have suggested that, since you did mention the tutorials. Did they say why? Others might have different opinions, but I see no reason to import a class that was written in the same project. If the other class is in a dll, that would be different, but it sounds like this class is just in a different code file in the same project. That should mean that the import statement does nothing at all, so I'm wondering why they would even suggest it?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Hyperactive Member

I actually think it was just handy and he was just taking a look at an alternative approach. However, he gave no explanation as to why, but hasn't used that since. Everything else has been Namespace holding a super class with additional inheritance classes. But good to know what the usage of that is actually supposed to be. Also, you are right, because I tried it later without the import and it worked just fine. No telling what was the purpose. These are Bucky tutorials on VB if you care to take a look. I am finding them quite helpful overall.