Thread: Sony Pulls Interview due to threats

Hyperactive Member

Sony Pulls Interview due to threats

Sony has officially pulled the movie "The Interview" from theaters.

The hackers stated:

weeks ago;
    “Warning

We will clearly show it to you at the very time and places “The Interview” be shown, including the premiere, how bitter fate those who seek fun in terror should be doomed to.
    Soon all the world will see what an awful movie Sony Pictures Entertainment has made.
    The world will be full of fear.
    Remember the 11th of September 2001.
    We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time.
    (If your house is nearby, you’d better leave.)
    Whatever comes in the coming days is called by the greed of Sony Pictures Entertainment.
    All the world will denounce the SONY.”
    The U.S. Government has stated that the "Guardians of Peace" are tied to North Korea, but not located in North Korea.

For those who don't know of this situation, the movie was about 2 reporters landing an interview with Kim Jong-un, and the CIA approaching them with an assassination mission.

June 25th, 2014
    "If the United States administration tacitly approves or supports the release of this film, we will take a decisive and merciless countermeasure,” a spokesman for its Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement carried by the state-run Korean Central News Agency.

What is interesting about this is that the Korean War also started on June 25th. I think they picked that date to make the statement intentionally to show their seriousness

I want to know you guys take on this

Do you believe the threats are real and that North Korea would back them up?

Do you believe the "Guardians of Peace" ( sony hackers ) are actually linked with North Korea?

Do you think the threats should go unpunished?

How were they going to pull off these attacks on movie theaters? Do they have that many people willing to fight for them inside of America?

Note that the U.S. government only stepped in once the 9/11 like attack threats were made.

I personally believe that the "Guardians of Peace" should be punished for the threats and "cyber terrorism". I also believe that North Korea should have to make a formal live apology to all of the world for statements said on June 25th, 2014 and should prove to the world that they were not in command of the "Guardians of Peace".

Re: Sony Pulls Interview due to threats

The threats are real enough. North Korea rarely speaks in any language other than overly-bombastic, threatening, language. It's the normal tone for those folks. Whether or not they could pull off a physical attack is a different matter. They have done a few things against Japan, which shouldn't be downplayed, but as a general rule, they are all bark.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Cant believe they pulled it. They gave in to the threats and if true that will just spawn more threats on whatever else they don't like. Looked like a good funny movie too.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    The threats are real enough. North Korea rarely speaks in any language other than overly-bombastic, threatening, language. It's the normal tone for those folks. Whether or not they could pull off a physical attack is a different matter. They have done a few things against Japan, which shouldn't be downplayed, but as a general rule, they are all bark.
    Do you think that could be why Sony pulled the movie? Because they are a Japanese company?

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    Cant believe they pulled it. They gave in to the threats and if true that will just spawn more threats on whatever else they don't like. Looked like a good funny movie too.
    This is exactly how I feel, I really wanted to see the movie, 2 of my favorite actors. I also think that other "organizations" will be open to threatening things because of how this played out

Firstly, there are two 'threats', here.

One is the threat against theaters and Sony, the second is against the US Government. Since the Movie doesn't break any US laws, then the US government has no say in the release of the movie, whether they support or approve it or not.

The second is a hollow threat. There's a big difference between stealing virtual property, and enacting real harm or damage: just because you can do one thing does not mean you can do the other. The threat is being interpreted as that they possibly can. A poor decision, as this will embolden every scum bag to hold anyone hostage with idle threats.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

So will the movie go straight to DVD/Download? They cant prevent much if it gets out there via another venue. Its a massive monetary loss to pull the movie.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I personally couldn't believe the boldness of the producers to make this movie. You're talking about assassinating a person who executed his own uncle along with any blood relative of that uncle, you've got some cojones making a movie on it.

But they weren't doing anything wrong, no reason to have pulled it in my opinion. I just would not have supported it.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

You guys remember Team America: World Police don't you?

I guess they had enough...
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel
    “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.” - Kimi Raikkonen

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

The second is a hollow threat. There's a big difference between stealing virtual property, and enacting real harm or damage: just because you can do one thing does not mean you can do the other. The threat is being interpreted as that they possibly can. A poor decision, as this will embolden every scum bag to hold anyone hostage with idle threats.
    Agreed i was very surprised they pulled the Movie i think its the wrong move. Hacking is one thing actually attacking people on American Soil is another thing entirely. And to be honest i don't know about you guys but i have yet to hear of a hacking group that is also armed and dangerous (unless you mean on COD).

You guys remember Team America: World Police don't you?
    Oh yes (great Movie), and i really don't see how this could be any more offensive as far as North Korea is concerned, and they didn't bomb anyone then!

This look like a massive over reaction to me and quite sad that Hollywood would censor itself.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

First off nobody should be punished for threats. People should be punished for the actions they carry out. If threats were punishable the US government would need to be locked up in toto. So would most of the blokes in my local pub. The hacking should, of course, be investigated and if the culprits can be found and if it can be shown that they did any criminal damange, stole any information or committed any other actual crime then they should be punished accordingly. What I'm not clear on from the news articles is what the hackers actually did. It sounds like it was basically data theft followed up by threats. If so the former is punishable, the latter isn't.

As for whether there was involvement by the North Korean Authorites, who knows? Possibly. Probably. Who cares? Kim Jong Un is basically a nutter who hates the US. That's not news. Is he likely to be funding cyber crime against the US? Almost certainly. Is the US engaged in cyber crime against North Korea? You better believe it. It's simply a matter of foreign affairs and if you want the US to respond you're basically talking about economic sanctions (which North Korea won't even notice because they don't trade with the US), responding using cyber crime (which you can bet you're already doing anyway) or going to war (which would be a pretty idiotic thing to do over 1 pulled move). In international terms this is an irellevent storm in a tea cup.

Should Sony have pulled the movie? That an interesting question and it really depends on why they pulled it and I've yet to see a statement from Sony that really addresses that. If it was in direct response to the threats then no, they shouldn't. Bowing to threats is rarely a good long term strategy. If it's because they're worried about embaressing data being leaked I would again say no. Failing to show the film is extremely unlikely to stop that leak. However, consider that pretty much all the cinemas chains had already said they weren't going to show it and you've got to acknowledge that, economically, it's the right move for Sony. In fact it was the only move available. Why would the throw good money after bad marketting a film for which they've got no outlets? So if you're looking for someone to blame for caving in to terrorist threats then it wasn't Sony, it was the cinema chains.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    First off nobody should be punished for threats. People should be punished for the actions they carry out...
    Well, yes and no. It seems that some people are arrested and imprisoned for making threats: the key is that the threats are credible, and the characteristic of the threat is credible, and the person or persons making the threat have demonstrated that they are capable of going through with the threat, and they have the means of enacting the threat.

Further, the scale and locale of the threat plays an important role regarding the credibility, as well as the means to address the threat. A person threatening their spouse with a knife they have in their hand, for example, verses one country threatening another, lining tanks up on the border.

I'd agree that idle threats are just that. Unfortunately, the 'line' is shifting towards idle commentary is considered a credible and real threat, which is totally bogus, of course.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

While I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but...

If Sony pulls the movie, and then subsequently pushes out the movie, all the hubbub has generated a lot of publicity for it.

Americans, in general, do not stand for threats against their free will: in this case, threats against cinemas which show the movie, by some scumbag wannabe, will be met with a big Eff-you.

Yeah. They certainly should release the movie, because the publicity will make sales skyrocket, even if only on DVD. Whether or not they will make a profit solely through DVD release is a different matter. It's not a huge budget movie, and DVD sales usually aren't great, but in this case, with this publicity, it might be the best received DVD release ever.

My understanding is that they pulled it because lots of theatre chains pulled out. It may also have been due to the Christmas time release, so the release might just be delayed till a time of years when theatre chains aren't trying to draw in so many people. So, it might show up in late January, or some such.

Making threats is indeed a crime. Expenses are incurred in researching or reacting to them, credible or not. Swatting is a crime, for ex., as you are getting them to spend time, money and resources investigating a threat.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

North Korea is at it again: They strongly deny being involved, are demanding that the US join them in a joint investigation of the attack.....and threatening serious reprisals if the US doesn't agree to it.

That country would be hilarious, if they weren't also so nasty: "We want to cooperate with you on this...and we'll attack you if you don't agree!"

They can't seem to make even a conciliatory statement without adding a threat to it.

Frenzied Member

Meanwhile, they are now going to release it to a "limited theatrical release". Maybe Sony has been playing the long con this whole time.

Well, to be fair Sony pulled it because a number of theater chains were pulling out. Edwards, Lowes, Regal, Cinemark, and one other at least pulled out of the release schedule. At that point, is when Sonly pulled the whole release, probably as part of an effort on trying to figure out what was the prudent thing to do. I think it was a bit over reactive by both the chains and Sony. So now it looks like 300 theaters will be showing it come Thursday, with more likely to follow in the first few weeks of '15.

I doubt very much that it was any kind of publicity stunt. From what I've been hearing, North Korea's been in a snit over this movie for several months. Getting hacked just seems to have been the proverbial straw.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Well, to be fair Sony pulled it because a number of theater chains were pulling out. Edwards, Lowes, Regal, Cinemark, and one other at least pulled out of the release schedule. At that point, is when Sonly pulled the whole release, probably as part of an effort on trying to figure out what was the prudent thing to do. I think it was a bit over reactive by both the chains and Sony. So now it looks like 300 theaters will be showing it come Thursday, with more likely to follow in the first few weeks of '15.

I doubt very much that it was any kind of publicity stunt. From what I've been hearing, North Korea's been in a snit over this movie for several months. Getting hacked just seems to have been the proverbial straw.

-tg
    You would think you might throw a few million at securing your company's information across the board after getting hacked several times. I'm not saying prevent a complete disaster, but in 2014, let's stop storing plaintext passwords.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...psn-hack.shtml

No, I do not think it was a publicity stunt, either, but...never let a crisis go to waste. By 'pulling' the movie, they will generate a lot of interest in the movie. And lo, as the star shines, The movie shall play to sold out theaters.

Frenzied Member

Yup, I show it in the play store. 15.99 for HD download.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinthe813 View Post
    Yup, I show it in the play store. 15.99 for HD download.
    This is 1/2 the price of going to the actual movies

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

I watched it on Christmas Eve. Ehh. It wasn't that great of a movie. Pretty funny but not all it was hyped up to be.

Frenzied Member

I watched it on Friday night. I agree, it was pretty over-hyped. Its definitely a typical Seth Rogen movie.

If its not all its hyped up to be do you guys think that Sony made all this up to get more people to buy it for download and recover money?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

If its not all its hyped up to be do you guys think that Sony made all this up to get more people to buy it for download and recover money?
    Nope... Hollywood isn't that smart to come up with an idea like that, let alone pull it off.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

North Korea is at it again: They strongly deny being involved, are demanding that the US join them in a joint investigation of the attack.....and threatening serious reprisals if the US doesn't agree to it.
    Where is the proof North Korea had anything to do with this?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

That's actually a very good question. I'm not a great one for conspiracies and I don't buy into the notion that it was a Sony marketing ploy but this whole story has smacked of wrongness from the start. Here's a few oddities:-

1. I've still yet to see any real information about what the hackers actually did. As far as I can tell they hacked the system, poked around a bit and did absolutely nothing.
    2. The only actual threats I've heard about were "9/11 style attacks on cinemas". I fail to see what that has to do with hacking or why hacking would make that threat more credible. It's a complete non sequiter.
    3. I don't see how this represented enough of a threat to warrant anything more than a derisory guffaw and yet it's been a headlining world news story for weeks now. Why didn't we all just ignore it?
    4. I've still not heard any real evidence that the North Korea government was involved.

Whether this points at a conspiracy, a real terrorist threat or (and this is my hunch) some astonishingly poor journalism during a particularly quiet news period followed by some executives and politicians milking it for all they were worth, I really don't know but this still strikes me as the most overblown non-news story I've ever seen.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

1) they hacked the servers at Sony and made off with a number of emails, documents and video files. A number of the emails were then leaked in an attempt to embarass Sony - email threads where various executives made fun of several celebrities.
    2) The group that the hacks were linked to - Guardians of Peace - were the same group that issued the threats.
    3) I think the threats were a bit overblown by a number of organizations, the media, the FBI, and the media. As a result, individual theaters began to pull out, then their parent chains began to pull out. When 5 of the largest chains pulled out, that's when Sony pulled it completely. It was a domino effect.
    4) Last I heard, the FBI investigation had tied the GOP to some organization (whose name is some number, 201 or something like that) in the NK's government, it barely registered a blip though in the media.

-tg

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    That wasn't what I was refering to when I said they "were at it again." I was following up on my earlier comment about N. Korea rarely speaking in non-threatening language. Even in their denial, where they talk about a joint investigation, which would be a reasonable response for a party feeling wrongly accused and wanting to clear things up....they still couldn't resist adding a threat to the end of the statement. My point was that N. Korea making threatening statements is standard procedure for all situations.

the FBI investigation had tied the GOP to some organization
    The Republicans were behind this?

(whose name is some number, 201 or something like that)
    -tg
    Actually, it was 501. They were trying to be fly, but just ended up button fly. (I think it's in their genes).

The Republicans were behind this?
    That's what I thought the first time I heard GOP ... I think they quickly realized it as well, since ever since that, I've heard it referred to by the full name Guardians of Peace.

Actually, it was 501. They were trying to be fly, but just ended up button fly. (I think it's in their genes).
    Maybe they should just Levi where it's at and just pocket the whole thing.

-tg

This seems interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by The above link
    After the Sony hack attack and the leaks related to Sony, its employees, Hollywood celebs and caste and crew details and certainly, Sony’s unreleased films, now is the time to find out who exactly hacked Sony. The Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) and other security researchers investigating the Sony hack attack, first claimed the hackers to be from North Korea, then the FBI cyber division’s Assistant Director, Joe Demarest remarked that the hacks were ‘not attributed‘ to North Korea.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

That's what I thought the first time I heard GOP ... I think they quickly realized it as well, since ever since that, I've heard it referred to by the full name Guardians of Peace.
    I don't think so, Rocket would have come up with something much more clever than that.

I saw a report that it was an inside job for the hack but they said the hackers were ex employees hired by n. korea they believe.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

I saw a report that it was an inside job for the hack but they said the hackers were ex employees hired by n. korea they believe.
    Again with the North Korea sh*t! They have no proof.

Name:  itwasaliens.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  37.9 KB

-tg

Did Kim Jong Un pay you to say that?

'The Interview': South Korean Activist to Drop Film in North Korea

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp View Post
    Did Kim Jong Un pay you to say that?
    I wish!!!

Absence of proof is not proof of absence.

[said with that overbearing condescending tone, of course].