Thread: Bulk / Mass - Find and Copy from Excel to Word w

Bulk / Mass - Find and Copy from Excel to Word w

I am trying to do a Bulk / Mass - Find and Copy from Excel to Word where certain terms exist. I have limited / no programming skills - but if someone could provide some VB i may be able to get it to work.

Other methods would also be preferred without using code.

EXCEL: I have 1,500 lines of Data field names from System A that is in a format that describes where in the application it is located. Example:

/Application/FinancialSegment/ValueItem[1]/IncomeSource

The field here is "IncomeSource"

WORD: I have a Integration specification in Word that has around 300 field names for System B in table format including "IncomeSource"

DESIRED OUTCOME: In the Word document, I would like a new Column in the existing table - that shows the entry from the EXCEL document: "/Application/FinancialSegment/ValueItem[1]/IncomeSource"

Next to the entry: "IncomeSource" as the identifier
    I would like the list of 300 words to be run against the 1,500 list and vice versa.

What is the simplest way to do this? Ideally without code. Could it be done simply with a Macro?

If it is with code, please also make it simple as possible. I am on a corporate network with locked down machine, so I dont have free reign to install many applications.

Thanks in advance

Re: Bulk / Mass - Find and Copy from Excel to Word w

Hey Capt'n, welcome to the Forum. I am no Office expert, but I would assume this CAN be done with a Macro in Excel and/or Word. I don't BELIEVE you need to introduce another MS product (Visual Basic) to get this done. If I were you, I'd post this in the Office Development Section of this Forum instead of this one. I'm not going to ask the Moderators to MOVE it, because someone just MIGHT think otherwise about using VB6.

That having been said, do you already have Visual Basic 6 installed on your computer at work? If not, there in lies part of your answer.

PowerPoster

Re: Bulk / Mass - Find and Copy from Excel to Word w

Could it be done simply with a Macro?
    yes as long as your macro security levels allow running of macros, but note a macro is code

what versions of word and excel are you ruinning?

if you post some sample data, and a desired result, someone may be able to help with a solution, i doubt i understand from the information posted

i will ask this moved to office development
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete