Thread: DocumentText property of WebBrowser control not change

Talking DocumentText property of WebBrowser control not change

Hi, every experts!

I have an issue that my program's WebBrowser Control doesn't accept DocumentText property change
    to what I set to.
    Actually, WebBrowser control which I put on main UI from from design time can accept all changes.
    I can set like "<html>....</html>" and so on, I can use any of activeX object in this WebBrowser control.
    However, if I create WebBrowser control at running time by thread, I can change any properties of this
    created control but DocumentText property.

Basically DocumentText property have empty string "" when it first created, but when I assign any kind of
    DocumentText string, it changes always like "<html></html>", so it always shows empty space.
    I don't know why my VB.net act like this, but there is exist some kind of solution which can solve this.

This is code sample I use.

Code:
    Private MainThread as Thread

Private Sub Main

MainThread = New Thread(AddressOf WebDisplay)
        MainThread.SetApartmentState(ApartmentState.STA)
        MainThread.Start()

End Sub

Private Sub WebDisplay

Dim MainBox as PictureBox
       Dim MainWeb as WebBrowser

MainBox = New PictureBox
       MainWeb = New WebBrowser

With MainBox
          .BorderStyle = BorderStyle.FixedSingle
          .Controls.Add(MainWeb)
          .Width = 100
          .Height = 100
       End With

With MainWeb
           .Dock = DockStyle.Fill
           .ScrollBarsEnabled = False
           .IsWebBrowserContextMenuEnabled = False
           .WebBrowserShortcutsEnabled = False
       End With

Console.Writeln(MainWeb.DocumentText)  ' Show value when it is first created
       MainWeb.DocumentText = "<html><script language='javascript'>.....</script><body>...</body></html>"
       Console.Writeln(MainWeb.DocumentText)  ' After DocumentText change

. Codes for add controls to main UI and show

End Sub
    There is two lines of Console.Writeln, so I can see DocumentText value change status.
    Even I made stop point on that line and look inside, it also same as I explained.
    First line can see "" (empty) string value of DocumentText property.
    After I set DocumentText property and see this value, it always show "<html></html>" only.

Do you have any idea about this weird behavior?
    Thanks for advance of your help!!!

PowerPoster

Re: DocumentText property of WebBrowser control not change

I think I understand your problem. The issue is that there is no Document created on which to set the text. If you check the browser's Document property, it will be null (Nothing).
    What I have done is to navigate to "About:Blank". i.e.
    Code:
    wb.Navigate("About:Blank")
    This creates a Document.

There may be a better way of doing this, but I never found it.

Quote Originally Posted by TnTinMN View Post
    I think I understand your problem. The issue is that there is no Document created on which to set the text. If you check the browser's Document property, it will be null (Nothing).
    What I have done is to navigate to "About:Blank". i.e.
    Code:
    wb.Navigate("About:Blank")
    This creates a Document.

There may be a better way of doing this, but I never found it.
    Thanks for your reply TnTinMN,
    However it doesn't change situation.
    The thing is, WebBrowser control which created at design time on main form, it doesn't need
    to set url or anything. Just put content string to DocumentText property, it works nicely.
    But the control which made programatically, or maybe in thread, it doesn't do any.

step 1... STOP using a secondary thread. To be honest I'm surprised you're not getting a cross thread error. UI interaction only happens on the main thread, and should be kept there. This could be part of the problem, I doubt it, but you never know. Also, there isn't any reason to use a secondary thread in this case.
    Also, you add the webbrowser to a picture box (why?) but you never add the picture box to the form.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *