Thread: [VB6] MS Office (MODI) OCR - OCR "for free"

PowerPoster

Lightbulb [VB6] MS Office (MODI) OCR - OCR "for free"

This may already have been posted, but a search turned nothing up here in the CodeBank.

If you have an appropriate version of Microsoft Office you can use MODI to do OCR on images. The obvious candidates are 32-bit Office 2003 and 2007, but supposedly this can be made to work in 32-bit Office 2010 as well.

As far as I can tell there is no way to feed images to MODI.Document except by having it load them from disk. But you could always "dump" images to a temporary folder as required, so that isn't a nasty restriction.

Requirements

VB6 development tools. Of course the logic can be trivially ported to Office VBA or even a WSH or MSHTA script written in VBScript.

A version of 32-bit Office supporting MODI.

Notes

This program uses early binding against Microsoft Office Document Imaging 11.0 Type Library (Office 2003). This is used to give us easy access to MODI.Document's OnOCRProgress event and the predefined constant miLANG_ENGLISH in Enum MiLANGUAGES.

To use this code with Office 2007 you'd need to change the reference to Microsoft Office Document Imaging 12.0 Type Library and recompile.

You could also use late binding, but then you would either have to give up using WithEvents (not valid for As Object) and the OnOCRProgress event entirely... or else use additional code or a C++ helper DLL to bind to the event.

MODI was removed in Office 2010, but you might look at:

Attached Demo

The attachment is large because of included image files.

The program just grabs the file names from a hard-coded folder, then loads and OCRs them one by one and displays the resulting text in a RichTextBox. A status line reports progress on each image as it works.

A Timer control is used to work through the queue of images, primarily to help avoid the program being marked unresponsive by Windows.

The demo helps illustrate the "garbage in, garbage out" nature of OCR: the quality of the results depends on what you feed into it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dilettante; Nov 10th, 2014 at 11:54 AM. Reason: typos

PowerPoster

Re: [VB6] MS Office (MODI) OCR - OCR "for free"

You may also find this useful:

Office 2003: Microsoft Office Document Imaging Visual Basic Reference (MODI)

And as it says there:

Microsoft Office Document Imaging 2003 (MODI) adds programmability features to the document scanning and viewing tools that Microsoft Office 2002 (XP) included for the first time. Programmers can take advantage of a simple object model built around the Document and Image (page) objects to display and read a scanned document as easily as a paper document, perform optical character recognition (OCR), search for text within scanned documents, copy and export scanned text and images, combine multiple pages into a single compressed file, and reorganize scanned document pages as easily as rearranging papers in a folder.

In order to install MODI and the support files required for MODI programmability, including the MODI Viewer ActiveX control, select "Microsoft Office Document Imaging" in the "Office Tools" group when installing Microsoft Office 2003. The default installation location is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MODI\11.0. Installing MODI adds 2 applications, Microsoft Office Document Scanning and Microsoft Office Document Imaging, to the Microsoft Office Tools submenu on the Start menu.

You can program the MODI object model from any development tool that supports the Component Object Model (COM) by setting a reference to the Microsoft Office Document Imaging 11.0 Type Library. You can use the MODI Viewer control from any development tool that supports ActiveX controls by adding Microsoft Office Document Imaging Viewer Control 11.0 to the toolbox.

Fanatic Member

Hi

I am using MS Office 2007 . It is giving me message Missing-Microsoft Office Document Imaging 11.0 Type Library.

Thanks

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Jagjit View Post
    Hi

I am using MS Office 2007 . It is giving me message Missing-Microsoft Office Document Imaging 11.0 Type Library.

Thanks
    The Office team at Microsoft has never cared a whit for standards, conventions, or courtesy. As a result one of the crosses we bear as supplicants on our knees at their altar is the fact that they break binary compatibility on every release.

The real answer is to boycott MS Office and use alternatives at every turn. Since this isn't always practical, our alternative is to either recompile for every Office version using a different reference for each version... or use late binding.

Your choice.

PowerPoster

In case it jsn't clear enough for you...

Office 11 is Office 2003, and you don't have Office 2003. Thus you must use an Office 12 library reference to early bind to the Office 2007 MODI library.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    This may already have been posted, but a search turned nothing up here in the CodeBank.

If you have an appropriate version of Microsoft Office you can use MODI to do OCR on images. The obvious candidates are 32-bit Office 2003 and 2007, but supposedly this can be made to work in 32-bit Office 2010 as well.

As far as I can tell there is no way to feed images to MODI.Document except by having it load them from disk. But you could always "dump" images to a temporary folder as required, so that isn't a nasty restriction.

Requirements

VB6 development tools. Of course the logic can be trivially ported to Office VBA or even a WSH or MSHTA script written in VBScript.

A version of 32-bit Office supporting MODI.

Notes

This program uses early binding against Microsoft Office Document Imaging 11.0 Type Library (Office 2003). This is used to give us easy access to MODI.Document's OnOCRProgress event and the predefined constant miLANG_ENGLISH in Enum MiLANGUAGES.

To use this code with Office 2007 you'd need to change the reference to Microsoft Office Document Imaging 12.0 Type Library and recompile.

You could also use late binding, but then you would either have to give up using WithEvents (not valid for As Object) and the OnOCRProgress event entirely... or else use additional code or a C++ helper DLL to bind to the event.

MODI was removed in Office 2010, but you might look at:

Attached Demo

The attachment is large because of included image files.

The program just grabs the file names from a hard-coded folder, then loads and OCRs them one by one and displays the resulting text in a RichTextBox. A status line reports progress on each image as it works.

A Timer control is used to work through the queue of images, primarily to help avoid the program being marked unresponsive by Windows.

The demo helps illustrate the "garbage in, garbage out" nature of OCR: the quality of the results depends on what you feed into it.
    Hi,

I found the attached demo helpful !

I would have an other question: it is possible to implement also the Printer "Microsoft Office Document Image Writer" ?

It would be "most, most most" helpful.

Thanks and have a nice day !

Pino

Fanatic Member

I am using Tesseract OCR engine for our inhouse software OCR needs - mainly from scanned PDF's or PDF files printed as bitmaps. Developed VB6 frontend for that purpose, which extracts raster image from pdf pages and calls tesseract engine.

Tesseract is quite good OCR engine, but fails miserably (as many other OCR engines), when text orientation is vertical, fex. landscape pages scanned in portrait mode. There are several page segmentation settings, but it is quite difficult to automate text orientation detection in raster images.

Windows 10 has inbuilt OCR engine, but not tested this yet.
    https://blogs.windows.com/buildingap...or-windows-10/

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Pino1946 View Post
    I would have an other question: it is possible to implement also the Printer "Microsoft Office Document Image Writer" ?
    I'm not sure what you mean. Do you want to print to a specific printer instead of displaying in the RichTextBox?

That ought to be easy enough. You can print text using Printer.Print and images using the Render method of the IPictureDisp/StdPicture or Printer.PaintPicture.

Oops! Just noticed this is a year old question. Sorry I missed you!
    Last edited by dilettante; Jan 26th, 2019 at 03:08 AM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Tech99 View Post
    Windows 10 has inbuilt OCR engine, but not tested this yet.
    That appears to only work for UWP ("Metro") Store Apps, not normal programs. Supposedly with enough gyrations you can use some UWP APIs in a normal desktop program but good luck with that!

PowerPoster

Odd thing.

I hadn't installed MODI on this computer since my last clean Windows install. When I went back and ran my demo program in the elevated IDE it popped up a dialog "Installing VB6.exe feature" and appears to have successfully installed it.

Now, it might do this for a compiled EXE too but I would not recommend this unless your first run of the compiled EXE is elevated.

Fanatic Member

On my side, I use MODI combined with Poppler intensively with a quite good success.

Hyperactive Member

it seems OneNote OCR are more accuracy than MODI

Fanatic Member

Never tried it.
    Have you integrated Onenote OCR in a VB6 app?

Hyperactive Member

of cause, only tried a demo.

Fanatic Member

Could you post your code here, I'll give try

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thierry69 View Post
    Could you post your code here, I'll give try
    When you add an image to OneNote it automatically OCR's the images and stores the text as xml with the page. So you reference the app, create a page, insert the image, and then get the text. Code example and binaries here: https://www.journeyofcode.com/free-e...using-onenote/

(this is obviously not recommended for production use)

Fanatic Member

I took a llok last week, and not usefull in my case.

I wrote a complete OCR part in my soft that recognize invoices & document, according the position of each element in the document.
    So based on templates, I can reach arround 85% of recognition, and users can define their templates.
    It is combined with NAP2 (to do the scan), and Popller to extract the text. All combined is quite good

But I always try to enhance it.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thierry69 View Post
    But I always try to enhance it.
    have you tried the google ocr? https://cloud.google.com/vision/docs/drag-and-drop

or the Azure one? (https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/se...mputer-vision/)

google gives 1000 a month free and ms gives 5000 a month free

Fanatic Member

Never saw them.

I can't make work the google (tried 3 min)
    And the azure is giving interesting result.
    It is nearly the same as MODI, except we have the result directyle in JSON.
    But it is slower, and needs to upload the picture.
    Maybe in complement of MODI to have a better result, I'll do some more tests

Fanatic Member

HTML Code:
    Attribute VB_Name = "ModOneNoteOcr"
    ' COM API uses image recognition feature of OneNote 2013/2016
    'If the picture is too small, it will lead to recognition. The reason is unknown. It is better to be larger than 60*50
    'win10 refer lib
    'OneNote 15
    'xml 6.0

Private Sub Command2_Click()
    'MsgBox VarType(Picture1)
     MsgBox GetTextFromSinglePicture(stdPictureToArraybyPropertyBag(Picture1), ScaleX(Picture1.Image.Width, vbHimetric, vbPixels), ScaleY(Picture1.Image.Height, vbHimetric, vbPixels)) '"C:\Users\xx\Desktop\test.JPG")
    End Sub

Public Type imageBase64
        base64Text As String
        imageWidth As Long
        imageHeight As Long
    End Type

Private Declare Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long)

Private Declare Function CreateStreamOnHGlobal Lib "ole32" (ByVal hGlobal As Long, ByVal fDeleteOnRelease As Long, pPStm As Any) As Long
    Private Declare Function GlobalAlloc Lib "kernel32" (ByVal uFlags As Long, ByVal dwBytes As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function GlobalLock Lib "kernel32" (ByVal hMem As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function GlobalUnlock Lib "kernel32" (ByVal hMem As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function GlobalSize Lib "kernel32" (ByVal hMem As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function GetHGlobalFromStream Lib "ole32" (ByVal pPStm As Long, hGlobal As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Sub CopyMemory Lib "kernel32.dll" Alias "RtlMoveMemory" (ByRef Destination As Any, ByRef Source As Any, ByVal Length As Long)

Private Declare Function OleLoadPicture Lib "oleaut32.dll" (ByVal lpstream As IUnknown, ByVal lSize As Long, ByVal fRunmode As Long, ByRef riid As Any, ByRef lplpvObj As IPicture) As Long
    Private Declare Function SHCreateMemStream Lib "shlwapi.dll" Alias "#12" (ByRef pInit As Byte, ByVal cbInit As Long) As IUnknown

Private Function PictureToByteArray(nPic As IPicture) As Byte()
        Dim IFauxStream As IUnknown ' hack that works with some apis that expect an IStream object
        Dim pData() As Byte
        Dim lSize As Long
        Dim o_hMem As Long, o_lpMem As Long
        Dim o_lngByteCount As Long

Call CreateStreamOnHGlobal(0, 1, IFauxStream)    ' create IStream object
        If nPic.KeepOriginalFormat Then                 ' for some reason; cannot use boolean vartype...
            nPic.SaveAsFile ByVal ObjPtr(IFauxStream), False, lSize  ' one for false
        Else
            nPic.SaveAsFile ByVal ObjPtr(IFauxStream), True, lSize   ' one for true
        End If
        If lSize Then
            If Not IFauxStream Is Nothing Then
                If GetHGlobalFromStream(ByVal ObjPtr(IFauxStream), o_hMem) = 0 Then
                    o_lngByteCount = GlobalSize(o_hMem)
                    If o_lngByteCount > 0 Then
                        o_lpMem = GlobalLock(o_hMem)
                        If o_lpMem <> 0 Then
                            ReDim pData(0 To o_lngByteCount - 1)
                            CopyMemory pData(0), ByVal o_lpMem, o_lngByteCount
                            GlobalUnlock o_hMem
                            PictureToByteArray = pData
                        End If
                    End If
                End If
            End If
        End If
    End Function

Private Function ByteArrayToPicture(ByRef Data() As Byte) As IPicture
        Dim lSize As Long, IID_IPicture(0 To 1) As Currency, oStream As IUnknown

lSize = UBound(Data) - LBound(Data) + 1&
        Set oStream = SHCreateMemStream(Data(0&), lSize)

If Not oStream Is Nothing Then
            IID_IPicture(0&) = 116045007755044.6976@    '{7BF80980-BF32-101A-8BBB-00AA00300CAB}
            IID_IPicture(1&) = -612146501409303.8709@
            lSize = OleLoadPicture(oStream, lSize, 0&, IID_IPicture(0&), ByteArrayToPicture)  ': Debug.Assert lSize = 0& 'S_OK
        End If
    End Function

'Identify pictures
    'The parameter can be the picture address, stdpicture object, picture array, and the array object needs to manually specify the width and height
    Public Function GetTextFromSinglePicture(inPicPathOrArrayPic As Variant, _
                                      Optional mWpix As Long, _
                                      Optional mHpix As Long) As String

'

Dim xmlDoc    As New MSXML2.DOMDocument60
        Dim xmlNode   As MSXML2.IXMLDOMNode
        Dim xmlEle    As MSXML2.IXMLDOMElement
        Dim inPicPath As String

If VarType(inPicPathOrArrayPic) = vbString Then
            inPicPath = inPicPathOrArrayPic
        End If

Dim picBase64       As imageBase64

'Create a temporary notebook
        Dim onenoteFullName As String

With New Scripting.FileSystemObject
            onenoteFullName = .GetSpecialFolder(TemporaryFolder) & "\" & .GetBaseName(.GetTempName) & ".one"

'判断函数值是否正常
            If Len(inPicPath) > 0 Then
                If .FileExists(inPicPath) = False Then
                    GetTextFromPicture = "! Error File Path !"
                    Exit Function
                End If
            End If
        End With

Dim onenoteApp As New OneNote.Application '  OneNote12.Application

If onenoteApp Is Nothing Then
            GetTextFromPicture = "! Error in Openning OneNote !"
            GoTo clear_variable_before_exit
        End If

Dim sectionID As String
        Dim pageID    As String

Select Case VarType(inPicPathOrArrayPic) 'TypeName(inPicPathOrArrayPic)

Case vbArray Or vbByte   '"Byte()"
                Set xmlEle = CreateNotePageContentElement(2, inPicPathOrArrayPic, mWpix, mHpix)

Case Else
                Set xmlEle = CreateNotePageContentElement(2, inPicPathOrArrayPic)
        End Select

Set xmlEle = AddNodeInfo(xmlEle)

'getsectionID
        onenoteApp.OpenHierarchy onenoteFullName, "", sectionID, cftSection

'getpageID
        onenoteApp.CreateNewPage sectionID, pageID, npsBlankPageNoTitle

'get XML
        Dim pageXmlText As String
        onenoteApp.GetPageContent pageID, pageXmlText, , xs2013

'
        If xmlDoc.loadXML(pageXmlText) = False Then
            GetTextFromPicture = "! Error in Loading Xml !"
            GoTo clear_variable_before_exit
        End If

With xmlDoc.getElementsByTagName("one:Page").Item(0)
            .appendChild xmlEle
        End With

'
        onenoteApp.UpdatePageContent xmlDoc.documentElement.xml, , xs2013

',
        Sleep 1000

Dim iCNT As Integer
        iCNT = 10
    re_getPageContent:
        onenoteApp.GetPageContent pageID, pageXmlText, , xs2013
        xmlDoc.loadXML pageXmlText
        Set xmlEle = xmlDoc.documentElement.getElementsByTagName("one:OCRText").Item(0)

If xmlEle Is Nothing Then
            If iCNT > 0 Then
                Sleep 1000
                iCNT = iCNT - 1
                GoTo re_getPageContent
            Else
                GetTextFromSinglePicture = "! Waiting OneNote Time Expired !"
            End If
        Else
            GetTextFromSinglePicture = xmlEle.Text
        End If

clear_variable_before_exit:

If Not onenoteApp Is Nothing Then
            If Len(pageID) > 0 Then
                onenoteApp.DeleteHierarchy pageID, , True
            End If
            Set onenoteApp = Nothing
        End If
        Kill onenoteFullName
    End Function

'When paraContent is an image array, you need to manually add the image size, W is width, H is height. Pixel unit
    Private Function CreateNotePageContentElement(contentType As Integer, _
                                                  paraContent As Variant, _
                                                  Optional mHpix As Long) As MSXML2.IXMLDOMElement
        Dim xmlEle  As MSXML2.IXMLDOMElement
        Dim xmlNode As MSXML2.IXMLDOMElement

Dim ns      As String
        ns = "one:"

With New MSXML2.DOMDocument60

Select Case contentType

Case 1 '文本
                    Set xmlNode = .createElement(ns & "T")
                    xmlNode.Text = paraContent

Case 2 '图片
                    Dim picBase64 As imageBase64

Select Case VarType(paraContent)

Case vbArray Or vbByte  '"Byte()"
                            picBase64 = getBase64(paraContent, mWpix, mHpix)

Case Else
                            picBase64 = getBase64(paraContent)
                    End Select

'创建一个图片XML信息

Set xmlNode = .createElement(ns & "Image")
                    xmlNode.setAttribute "format", "jpg"
                    xmlNode.setAttribute "originalPageNumber", 0

Set xmlEle = .createElement(ns & "Position")
                    xmlEle.setAttribute "x", 0
                    xmlEle.setAttribute "y", 0
                    xmlEle.setAttribute "z", 0
                    xmlNode.appendChild xmlEle

Set xmlEle = .createElement(ns & "Size")
                    xmlEle.setAttribute "width", picBase64.imageWidth
                    xmlEle.setAttribute "height", picBase64.imageHeight

Set xmlEle = .createElement(ns & "Data")
                    xmlEle.Text = picBase64.base64Text
            End Select
        End With
        Set CreateNotePageContentElement = xmlNode
    End Function

'XML处理的函数
    Private Function AddNodeInfo(ContentElement As MSXML2.IXMLDOMElement) As MSXML2.IXMLDOMElement
        Dim xmlEle As MSXML2.IXMLDOMElement
        Dim xmlNode As MSXML2.IXMLDOMElement
        Dim ns As String
        ns = "one:"
        Set xmlNode = ContentElement
            Set xmlEle = .createElement(ns & "OE")
            xmlEle.appendChild xmlNode
            Set xmlNode = xmlEle

Set xmlEle = .createElement(ns & "OEChildren")
            Set xmlNode = xmlEle

Set xmlEle = .createElement(ns & "Outline")
            Set xmlNode = xmlEle
        End With

Set AddNodeInfo = xmlNode

End Function

'图片处理为Base64编码的函数

Public Function getBase64(inBmpFile As Variant, _
                              Optional mHpix As Long) As imageBase64

Dim xmlEle As MSXML2.IXMLDOMElement

Set xmlEle = .createElement("Base64Data")
        End With
        xmlEle.dataType = "bin.base64"

Select Case VarType(inBmpFile) 'typename(inBmpFile)

Case vbString '"String"
                Debug.Print "图片路径"

With CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")
                    .Type = adTypeBinary
                    .Open
                    .LoadFromFile inBmpFile
                    xmlEle.nodeTypedValue = .Read()
                    .Close
                End With

With CreateObject("WIA.ImageFile")
                    .loadfile inBmpFile
                    getBase64.imageHeight = .Height
                    getBase64.imageWidth = .Width
                End With

'        Case vbLong '"Picture"
    '            Debug.Print "图片对象 stdpicture对象句柄"
    '            xmlEle.nodeTypedValue =
    '            getBase64.imageHeight = Form1.ScaleY(inBmpFile.Height, vbHimetric, vbPixels)
    '            getBase64.imageWidth = Form1.ScaleX(inBmpFile.Width, vbHimetric, vbPixels)

Case vbArray Or vbByte '"Byte()"
                xmlEle.nodeTypedValue = inBmpFile
                Debug.Print "图片数组"
                getBase64.imageHeight = mHpix
                getBase64.imageWidth = mWpix
        End Select

getBase64.base64Text = xmlEle.Text

End Function

Public Function stdPictureToArraybyPropertyBag(nPic As PictureBox) As Byte()
        Dim pb As New PropertyBag
        pb.WriteProperty "test", nPic.Picture
        ' Dim b() As Byte
        'Dim a() As Byte
        ' SavePicture Picture1.Image, App.Path & "\test.jpg"
        ' a = PictureToByteArray(Picture1.Image)
        ' MsgBox TypeName(a)
        stdPictureToArraybyPropertyBag = MidB(pb.Contents, 49, LenB(pb.Contents) - 50) 'propertybag比正常读取的多50字节
        'TestBase64 b

End Function
    Last edited by xxdoc123; Sep 27th, 2022 at 03:44 AM.