Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vb6 and Windows 10

Hyperactive Member

vb6 and Windows 10

I am out on the road with now way to test it, windows 10 preview is out, anybody try running a vb6 app? what is the verdict?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview

Thanks

Re: vb6 and Windows 10

Why are you persisting with this? It is just a preview of what the new version of Windows will look like. Given that the likely hood that the VB6 Runtime files or other support will be on it is doubtful. Why doubt you what until you can download it yourself and try?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    Why are you persisting with this? It is just a preview of what the new version of Windows will look like. Given that the likely hood that the VB6 Runtime files or other support will be on it is doubtful. Why doubt you what until you can download it yourself and try?
    Like I said, I am at a trade show and have no way to test it this week.

I thought it may be usefull information for others who have vb6 apps as well.

PowerPoster

No "verdict" is possible yet. Windows 10 is still only available in a rather early preview edition, which already has some bugs causing crashes, hardware driver issues, and other woes.

So since it will have updates pushed frequently during this preview period it is hard to say what might be added, removed, or changed before a final version ever ships. An answer based on today might well be invalid tomorrow. I haven't seen anything published yet committing to any level of support for VB6 applications - but also nothing to suggest that they won't be supported.

It is just too early.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    No "verdict" is possible yet. Windows 10 is still only available in a rather early preview edition, which already has some bugs causing crashes, hardware driver issues, and other woes.
    Yes, so it is too earlier to tell whether Windows 10 will support VB6 or not. I just want Microsoft to make the next version of VB.NET able to support VB6 code so that will be no need to install an actual VB6 version on newer operating system and put threads likes this one to an end

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by DrUnicode View Post
    I just installed Windows 10 Technical Preview today (01-OCt-2014) on VmWare Desktop.
    Vb6 + SP6 installed easier than Win7/Win8 with no tricks necessary other than "Run As Administrator".
    Initial testing shows that Vb6 runs OK without any problems.
    '

That is proof right there that it works! If the original poster wants to see the original post just click the button in the quote.
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; Oct 1st, 2014 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Adding more!
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

I am going to test my vb6 activex exe program tomorrow with 10 if all goes as planned.

PowerPoster

Windows 10? Are they skipping 9 or just decided it wasn't worth going to market with

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    Windows 10? Are they skipping 9 or just decided it wasn't worth going to market with
    I can't believe that noone else has said the same thing yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    I can't believe that noone else has said the same thing yet.
    Check the thread in the General Developer section.

Just installed our rather complex vb6 application on it and it worked just fine.

PowerPoster

Maybe next version they'll try to "go to 11" and break the knob right off? Perhaps since those "numbers" are just bogus marketing number-names rather than version numbers they decided to be clever and "put more distance" between this and Windows 8?

Maybe Win 10 is actually Win 8.2 in disguise since they retained Major Version 6 and bumped the Minor Version to 4.

Ver Major.Minor
    -----------
    Win7 6.1
    Win8 6.2
    Win8.1 6.3
    Win10 6.4
    Last edited by DrUnicode; Oct 4th, 2014 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Added Win7

Well boys and girls my VB6 Activex EXE thing works in the first Windows 10 Tech Preview.

So we do have yet another stay of execution. Smart Microsoft, Smart.

.....And thank you too. :-)

PowerPoster

Maybe next version they'll try to "go to 11" and break the knob right off? Perhaps since those "numbers" are just bogus marketing number-names rather than version numbers they decided to be clever and "put more distance" between this and Windows 8?
    Also worth considering... there were rumours, that MS plans to "fully embrace" Android in the future -
    perhaps the 10 is a strong indicator for that too, since it could of course also be written as "X":

UNIX
    LINUX
    OS-X
    Win-X

Hah - so MS is obviously preparing to go full speed ahead for ...iX, who'd have thought.

Future versions will only have a different suffix:
    Win-X11 etc...

Olaf

Frenzied Member

For what application Windows 10 can be better from XP?

Where are the specifications? So I didn't criticize the try, but I want to see a new idea.....(no that many desktops, I have that in my linux...Now I am writing from Xp that running in virtual box)

Why we need every one or two years a new OS?

I think we are in a major point to thinking that OS is like furniture...you don't change that every day. So Microsoft turn to custom...to get feedback for "versatile customization"....I can't think Windows to be a modular os..Instead they have to produce two or more OS in the same name, as a type, for many devices.

For Vb6 fellows this means that only in a desktop target device may found room to run their programs. For all other devices we will see the obsolete function happening...And this includes Net platform...Because Net platform must maintained in a device, a huge number of ready made code, so for a tiny device that would be a cost for energy. If they decide to have a modular Windows, then in every device may give only the parts that needs...and in the future new parts (modules) if need they can be loaded. By this approach, we miss the "version" indicator. Each module can have own version. So how can sell a company a software without a version tag? One way is to sell functionality. You need to access databases with a sophisticated method..buy the access module. But what if we have an open modular protocol? Then some other companies can create better modules...We return, this way, to a COM model, that are part of a modular OS.
    But all of that thinking is for those that look beyond the screen, under the black box. For many people the computer is a black box, so the only part they have to think is how to open, close, choose, and execute...So Windows 10 offer more for that "simple" things? From my experience on windows 8, Microsoft make the pc a boring and difficult tool...with many forms with many chooses that drive to madness the simple user. So he pick an android device and said hello to pc. Now he knows that music and video, and social network are available for the android tablet or phone. For what else the lot of people have to buy a windows pc or device???
    Here in Greece..before government take a measure...send small parrots to speak about, so from that happening a people measure..is the indicator if the measure can be taken....Like this Microsoft send Windows 10...to read posts and comments...
    So we have to wait...one year...for coming the true OS...

Maybe Win 10 is actually Win 8.2 in disguise since they retained Major Version 6 and bumped the Minor Version to 4.
    Maybe it's like
    10 Minor = 1 Major, 10 Major = 1 new version of Windows

Ver Major.Minor
    -----------
    Win8 6.2
    Win8.1 6.3
    Win10 6.4
    Microsoft kept the inner version number at 6 in the first place for compatibility with code that looked for that version number to treat "new" Windows differently to "old" Windows at the time. I read recently that they may have used the Windows 10 name for a similar reason, with examples given of code that did something like:
    Code:
    If versionName.StartsWith("Windows 9") Then
    to single out Windows 95 and 98. It's just a theory, with no confirmation from Microsoft that I'm aware of, but it is still a good thing that poor code like that won't break as a result of the name being Windows 10. That does beg the question though, what happens in a couple of hundred years when we actually do get to the 95th version of Windows? Will they recycle the name Windows 95?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    That does beg the question though, what happens in a couple of hundred years when we actually do get to the 95th version of Windows? Will they recycle the name Windows 95?
    They will probably be using Doors!

I haven't checked it out but I was sent this link to preview it:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...eview-download
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Fanatic Member

"IX" - that would make about as much sense as anything else Our Friends in Redmond have come up with in recent years.
    Doesn't it mean something like:
    boy who is not able to satisfactorily explain what a hrung is, nor why it should have chosen to collapse on Betelgeuse Seven.
    ??

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Ix
    http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Th...Hrung_Disaster

Regards, Phill W.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    I just want Microsoft to make the next version of VB.NET able to support VB6 code so that will be no need to install an actual VB6 version on newer operating system and put threads likes this one to an end
    Unlikely to say the least. VB.Net is nothing like VB6 at any level, it just isn't possible.

Even if it could happen... who wants slow and erratic JITted and garbage collected code that can be trivially reverse-engineered and won't even run unless you have the correct subset of the multiverse of Frameworks installed and they haven't broken irreparably yet?

Even at this late date that blog post is nothing but a few "try this band-aid and hope you get lucky" suggestions followed by a throwing up of hands and suggestion to reinstall Windows. Sadly this is still the authoritative page on the subject across the entire Web!

Think this isn't a real problem? Well consider Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool is available:

The Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool detects frequently occurring issues that affect the Microsoft .NET Framework setup or updates. The tool tries to resolve those issues by applying known fixes or by repairing the corrupted installations of the supported .NET Framework versions.
    Sadly it can only fix Framework versions that are installable, and not the ones that are the real problem: those installed with Windows. And as of Windows 10 all of the Framwork versions from 2.0 on up are preinstalled, and thus cannot be repaired.

Now, if you have been lucky and haven't run into this yet, and if those other issues don't bother you... just use VB.Net and be happy. But what does any of that have to do with what other people want and need?

Unlikely to say the least. VB.Net is nothing like VB6 at any level, it just isn't possible.

Even if it could happen... who wants slow and erratic JITted and garbage collected code that can be trivially reverse-engineered and won't even run unless you have the correct subset of the multiverse of Frameworks installed and they haven't broken irreparably yet?

Even at this late date that blog post is nothing but a few "try this band-aid and hope you get lucky" suggestions followed by a throwing up of hands and suggestion to reinstall Windows. Sadly this is still the authoritative page on the subject across the entire Web!

Think this isn't a real problem? Well consider Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool is available:

Sadly it can only fix Framework versions that are installable, and not the ones that are the real problem: those installed with Windows. And as of Windows 10 all of the Framwork versions from 2.0 on up are preinstalled, and thus cannot be repaired.

Now, if you have been lucky and haven't run into this yet, and if those other issues don't bother you... just use VB.Net and be happy. But what does any of that have to do with what other people want and need?
    Thanks for posting that again. I couldn't remember where the other 50 posts saying the same thing were but now I have this one i don't need all those others. I hope I'm lucky and don't get cancer though.

PowerPoster

And yet I have the frameworks installed under Win2K, XP, XP MCE, Vista, 7 and 8 and the only system I have had any serious issues with is Vista 64 which had absolutely nothing to do with .Net frameworks. It did however force a full reinstall of Vista. I have since quit using Vista and I do not use 8.

The 2K machine has VS 2003 on it and has been working for 10 years without a single issue. The XP MCE box has VS 2005 and has never had an issue, both machines used for development and run 24/7.
    VS2008 on another XP box, VS 2008 and 2010 on Windows 7 boxes and VS 2012 on a Windows 8 box. All of these also have VB6 and other programming tools. All have multiple versions of the framework and never saw any issues related to the framework on any of these nor on any of my customers machines under XP or 7.

As for the apps not running without the proper framework, thus far I have not had to install framework on any PC to get a .Net app to work as they already have the proper framework installed just like they already have the VB6 runtime files already installed. The only systems I have had to install a framework on are mobile devices which do not come pre-installed with the CE framework but again have never had an issue with any of the hundreds of them which I have software installed on.

I agree though that VB.Net will never directly support VB6 code, it is possible that they could make the IDE work with VB6 code if you have VB6 installed but I doubt it will ever happen.

PowerPoster

This probably seems funny... until it happens to you or one of your clients. It is hardly a myth or even rare, thus Microsoft's motivation for creating a repair tool. Sadly the tool can't repair any Framework installed as "part of Windows." And those are the ones that seem to get broken most frequently.

This is one of those dirty secrets .Net fans try to sweep under the rug. The issue can't be raised frequently enough because it needs a solution.

Fanatic Member

So far... all my VB6 stuff is rock solid in Win 10 , All GDI (even old 16 gdi such as getbimapbits, setbitmapbits) all GDI+. I have not had a glitch so far.

Actually, to refer to an earlier comment, running a VB6 Win10 is superior to running on XP as it manages memory much better, particularly in graphics apps, where my VB6 code will let me handle 220 megapixels 32 bits graphics files on an old AMD CPU and 2gig ram. This is way beyond what I could do at the time I was still running XP.

Hey Navion, it's GREAT to hear that all the GDI and GDI+ stuff still works. I was soooo happy when GDI+ came online. For years, I've needed to rotate some graphics on non-90 degree angles. I've got all the x' = x cos f - y sin f: y' = y cos f + x sin f code in that VB6 program, but it was always slow. With the GDI+, it's lightening fast.

And hey, is this where you were going to give me your COM architecture Op-Ed?

Fanatic Member

Edit : I removed the message just posted here by mistake to avoid duplication and because it was meant for my thread...

All you guys are invited to read it of course in my thread :

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...r-on-Win-10-TP
    Last edited by Navion; Oct 20th, 2014 at 07:26 PM.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by bitman View Post
    Well boys and girls my VB6 Activex EXE thing works in the first Windows 10 Tech Preview.

So we do have yet another stay of execution. Smart Microsoft, Smart.

.....And thank you too. :-)
    What would be even smarter than it runs on a PC running windows 10, but also on the windows 10 phones and windows 10 tablets as well.

Think about the advantage they would have in the phone and tablet market, millions of apps ready to go day one for any windows device. Think about all the coders returning to windows as well, write once all devices, even VB 6'ers too.

I'd dump my android phone and ipad so fast, they'd be a distant memory. Hey remember back in the day... didn't apple and android have... Who? lol
    VS 2015 Pro
    Windows 10 x64 Pro

Fanatic Member

That may very well happen, and quite soon. Microsoft has already announced the termination of Windows RT, Windows 10 for Phones has been announced too, with pictures of a MS-Phone running Windows 10. I pretty much think that goes for tablets too. A unified platform for Desktop, Mobile and Phone seems to be what they are aiming at.

Addicted Member

One OS to rule them all! MS takes back the crown!
    VS 2015 Pro
    Windows 10 x64 Pro

Addicted Member

Well there are problems. I have a program which runs error free on everything from 98 to 8 and crashes under Win 10 every time it calls getopenfilename(), getsavefilename() or shellexecute()!!! And only when compiled of course, never running in the IDE.

Ho Hum!

Fanatic Member

Not sure what your problem is. I don't know about your other functions, but shellexecute works perfectly fine on Win 10. Minus a few redraw problems still in the IDE, VB6 runs strong on Win 10. I have yet to find a program that runs elsewhere but not on Win 10.

Addicted Member

Works perfectly in some - crashes in others!

Fanatic Member

Microsoft say for Windows 10 and VB6 programming:-

Windows is committed to compatibility. The Windows compatibility team has been looking at user telemetry and reacting to feedback from Windows Insiders to ensure that existing apps work well with Windows 10. Windows 10 is designed to run Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 software programs. And yes, everyone’s favorite VB6 Runtime will continue to work, too. In the near future, the compat team will go more in-depth on this topic on Blogging Windows.
    http://blogs.windows.com/buildingapp...ility-bridges/

Frenzied Member

vb6 seems to work fine on Windows 10.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTurnbull View Post
    Works perfectly in some - crashes in others!
    crash you say, but what means, non response or something else?

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by el84 View Post
    vb6 seems to work fine on Windows 10.
    Ooops! I spoke too soon. My major accounts program written in vb6 works fine, but I cannot run the IDE. I get 'This program cannot run as VBA6.dll is missing'. This after updating a running W7 64 bit machine. Mybe it'll be OK if I load from DVD again?

EDIT: Tried that with no success. Machine hung up (not responding) on the 'Updating...' phase.
    Last edited by el84; Aug 7th, 2015 at 09:02 PM. Reason: addnl info

Fanatic Member

If you are unable to install the VB6 programming IDE,

see Gibra's installation utility http://nuke.vbcorner.net/Articles/VB...S/Default.aspx

or see the the instructions here http://www.fortypoundhead.com/showco...sp?artid=23993

Frenzied Member

Thanks very much, but I note that these two contradict in relation to the zero byte Java file!

gibra

Quote Originally Posted by el84 View Post
    Thanks very much, but I note that these two contradict in relation to the zero byte Java file!
    Yes and No.

Yes: for previous build of Windows 10 (will accept a zero byte MSJAVA.DLL)
    No: for latest build of Windows 10 (and perhaps also in the final build, but I have not tested yet.)
    MSJAVA.DLL should be extract from related CAB file (as explained on my web page).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast