Thread: Connect Four/Four in a Row game

Frenzied Member

Connect Four/Four in a Row game

Here's a simple Connect Four game written in Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0. The game has the following options:

-Set who plays first. (red or yellow)
    -Whether one of the players is the computer, and if so, which color it plays with.

When the computer player is enabled, it used the following strategy:
    1. Check if a winning move can be made.
    2. If no winning move can be made, check whether the human player can make a winning move and block it.
    3. If no moves have been made during steps 1 or 2, check whether an existing row can be made longer or make a random move without allowing the human player to make a winning move.
    4. If no move was made during step 3, make a random move in an available slot regardless of other factors.

EDIT:
    Mostly for the challenge, I decided to convert this game to Quick Basic, probably not very useful practically speaking, but interesting: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...27#post5024127
    Last edited by Peter Swinkels; Mar 27th, 2016 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Cleaned the code.

Re: Connect Four/Four in a Row game

Nice one Peter, thanks for sharing.
    Keith

I've been programming with VB for 25 years. Started with VB4 16bit Pro, VB5 Pro, VB6 Pro/Enterprise and now VB3 Pro. But I'm no expert, I'm still learning.