Thread: Run VB in Browser? *Solved*

Run VB in Browser? *Solved*

Hello!

I would like to know if normal VB application code can be run in a browser. Is this possible without translating into another language? If so, can someone please help with this?

Thanks!
    Last edited by NinjaNic; Aug 27th, 2014 at 08:39 PM.

Re: Run VB in Browser?

Can you explain this a bit better. I didn't understand a thing.

when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

I want to know if I can have a windows form application open in a website.
    Will it have to be translated into flash or html, or can it run on its own?

If there is a way to have it work without translating, I would like to know how it is done.

Ok it looks like NightWalker posted the same time I did. So I read the thread, but when a user runs the application through the website, does it uninstall after it is closed, or does it stay installed on the user's computer?

Edit: Never mind, I just read the part that it is uninstalled.

How can a application install itself from a browser? This would be highly regarded as Malware. What are you trying to do.

So what I understand, it is impossible to run a windows form through a web site.

Edit: Application installing itself? That's not what I was asking. But thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNic View Post
    So what I understand, it is impossible to run a windows form through a web site.

Edit: Application installing itself?
    From post #6 linked to in post #3

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Nope, you can't take that at all. That was if it was a web site. If it's a Windows Forms application then the user has to download it. You can't run a WinForms app over the web. The application will have to be downloaded by the user and then run on their local machine so yes, they will need the .NET Framework to run it.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Edit: Application installing itself? That's not what I was asking. But thanks anyway.
    does it uninstall after it is closed, or does it stay installed on the user's computer?

your words. Why cant you explain what you want to do?

I would like to know if normal VB application code can be run in a browser.
    I believe SilverLight was created for that explicit purpose.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

To ident: I've already explained, I just want to know if VB form application code can run in the browser, but apparently it can't. I only asked about the uninstall because the ClickOnce was suggested in the other thread.

A Windows Forms application is a Windows application, not a web application, so no, it can't be run IN a browser. You can run it FROM a browser though.

If you use the Publish functionality in VS then you can create a ClickOnce installer for your app. There are a number of options for ClickOnce configuration and one of those is for the app to be downloaded on demand, run locally and then deleted when closed. More usually though, the application would be downloaded and installed on first use and then remain installed for the user to run locally in future.

Again, depending on configuration, you can have your app update itself automatically when the user runs it. You can force the user to run only the latest version or give them the option of updating or running the version they already have installed. It's up to you how you configure it so you should do some reading on the subject to find out what's available and what works for you.

Frenzied Member

You might want to look at ASP.NET if your requirement is to run code server side.

Thank you - jmc and jay
    Last edited by NinjaNic; Aug 27th, 2014 at 08:38 PM. Reason: mispelling