Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite movies top 10.

King of sapila

Favorite movies top 10.

Now i an not a "high quality, action movies are lame, i'm a snob" type of guy so i don't base my decisions on how will someone else reflect my taste "For example my best movie is an action movie".
    Anyhow, probably will forget some but for starters, sequences count as one:

Terminator II (Terminator I also but a bit lower)
    Star Wars (original trilogy)
    Indiana Jones (trilogy NOT the last one)
    Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan (+ so forth until before the new cast)
    Ghostbusters(I, II, I WANT III !!!!!!!!!!)
    HellRaiser II (II kicks serious a$$, I is awesome but II for the win)
    Back to the future(trilogy)
    Blues Brothers
    Apocalypse Now
    Conan(the old ones)
    I have more but i said top 10 (Platoon for example) but if i remember a major one i will mention it.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Re: Favorite movies top 10.

Only 10? I couldn't limit it to just 10... mostly because my tastes in movie are like my tastes in music, eclectic.

I Was a Male War Bride
    The Karate Kid (the original one)
    Steel Magnolias
    The Italian Job
    39 Steps
    Dead Poets Society
    The Day The Earth Stood Still (the original B/W one)
    Ladder 49
    Bringing up Baby
    Almost any movie John Wayne is in
    Eight Below
    The Black Hole
    Apollo 13
    The Good the Bad and The Ugly
    Bladerunner
    Highlander (the first movie)

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

King of sapila

Yep 10 are a small number so i will add a couple also:
    The Goodfellas
    The GodFather
    Batman(the first one with Jack Nicholson )
    Full metal Jacket
    Borat
    Reservoir Dogs
    The Beyond
    The First Freddy Krueger
    The Thing

Hmmm, I'm surprised this thread didn't go farther. I'll bump it and see if it gets any action.

Ok, I've actually thought about this a lot, but I keep remembering ones that should have been on my list, so I'm not going to say this is definitive.

• Casablanca
    • In Harms Way
    • The Philadelphia Story
    • The Postman
    • Who Killed Liberty Valance
    • Breakfast At Tiffany's
    • Riddick
    • Apollo 13
    • Terminator II Judgment Day
    • The Holiday

And how do I rate a movie as a "top" movie? It's one I'll watch over and over every couple of years. If it entertained me, but I spot it again and I'm not drawn to watch it again, it doesn't make the cut. Avatar is an example of that. It's a great movie and I've seen it a couple of times, but I'm not drawn to re-watch it every couple of years.

Also, I know that's an eclectic list, but again, it's just a matter of whether it entertained me and whether I'd watch it again ... independent of genre.

(And they can keep Citizen Cane, just not a fan, and don't know what all the hype is about.)

(I love the annotated version of Casablanca though. I never realized the director set up many of the scenes to have shadows of bars on the background. I mean, the scene where Bogey opens the safe is obvious "effect", but there's lots more I never realized.)
    Last edited by Elroy; Mar 3rd, 2022 at 04:02 PM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Also, to just possibly spark some discussion, I found Bringing up Baby to be just too silly. I mean, sure, I'm a big Cary Grant & Katherine Hepburn fan, but that one was just over the top silly for my taste.

Also, Bladerunner (the original) should probably be on my list. That's a movie I've seen several times, and will definitely watch again.

Also, The Good the Bad and The Ugly should possibly be there as well. And it's a bit sad that Clint Eastwood isn't on my list. However, The Good the Bad and The Ugly is really more about the good music, and doesn't really have that much of a plot. I might actually put Hang 'Em High, or High Plains Drifter, or Unforgiven on my list ahead of The Good the Bad and The Ugly.

Oh gang, that made me think of Where Eagles Dare. Eastwood didn't even have a big part in that one, but that was a fantastic movie that I re-watch every couple of years. I told you my list wasn't definitive.
    Last edited by Elroy; Mar 3rd, 2022 at 04:04 PM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

That's the problem with those lists.

One of my goals in life is to never be portrayed by Mark Wahlberg. So far, so good.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Yeah, the more I think of movies the more my "top 10" shifts. Some need to be viewed with an eye toward the time they got made in. Others can be colored by the current times at hand.

For example, look at "The Day The Earth Stood Still" both as a movie of the early 1950s and its message.
    Last edited by dilettante; Mar 4th, 2022 at 03:23 AM. Reason: typos

Well, The Day The Earth Stood Still was actually a pretty good movie. But Dil, you're right ... it looks pretty campy by today's standards. In fact, I like the first one better than the remake.

Ohhh, that's another good subject ... remakes they never should have made. Sabrina absolutely comes to mind. And True Grit as well, but I get grief from my son about that one because Jeff Bridges was a Highwayman. I guess you're suppose to like anything a Highwayman does.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

10 is impossible but here are few favourite nobodies mentioned yet

The Sting (Still one of the best movies ever made, I am amazed nobody has mentioned it !!!)

Intacto

A Fist full of Dollars

Carlito's Way

Ferris Buellers Day Off

Pulp Fiction

Trainspotting

Battle Royal

Identity

Arrival

Get Out
    Last edited by NeedSomeAnswers; Mar 4th, 2022 at 08:31 AM.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

I couldn't do it...I have lived too long

So I took all the movies listed in the thread into Notepad and tried to pick ten out of that. That didn't work either. Some I might have listed were some of those Jules Verne movies like those soldiers on a lost island with huge creatures. Or that with Vincent Price, master of the world of something.

All the Disney movies over the years. Every once in a while generational movies come out like the Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies.

There are also too many categories I like. Sci Fi, comedy, terror, etc. I couldn't do it .
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

I couldn't do it...I have lived too long
    I know what you mean my list wasn't a top 10 as some people had already mentioned some great films, and there will be others I haven't even remembered about yet.

If you have any other great film not listed yet post them, it would be cool to hear about classics I might have missed.

I have never seen - Ladder 49 or Eight Below for instance.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Also, to just possibly spark some discussion, I found Bringing up Baby to be just too silly. I mean, sure, I'm a big Cary Grant & Katherine Hepburn fan, but that one was just over the top silly for my taste.
    That's one of the reason I like it... it's a screwball comedy that doesn't even take itself seriously. Not that different from the screwball comedies we get today.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

You know? IMHO The Sting has a bit of the same problem as Bringing up Baby ... it's just a bit too silly. Also, Butch and Sundance has the same problem.

Don't get me wrong, Paul Newman is way up on my list of favorite actors, and Robert Redford is way up there too. And I'll watch any movie either makes, just to watch them act. But, in both The Sting and Butch and Sundance, I get the feeling that they're just having fun with each other, and not really taking things entirely seriously. For instance, in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, it's clear that Newman is taking it seriously.

And, it's actually been said that Newman acted only to fund his racing career. That brings up another movie, Winning: The Racing Life of Paul Newman. If you're a Newman fan and have any interest in auto racing, that's an absolutely must watch.

-----

EDIT: Also, I've had to come around to being a Liz Taylor fan. For many years, I wasn't fond of her. However, I've definitely come around. Part of it was an old Lassie movie I saw where she was a child star in it, and she was good. Also, I guess it got old when she was the Kim Kardashian of her day (just unable to get away from her when reading the news). But Taylor has also done some movies that were just over the top for me. Cleopatra was one of them.
    Last edited by Elroy; Mar 4th, 2022 at 11:28 AM.

King of sapila

Some are good some are better but I can't relate to Apollo 13, it's just an OK film, even if you like it for patriotic reasons there are better moves to go on about.
    Other than that, I wanted to ask for a movie I remember and I can't pinpoint. If I remember it's about a bunch of cons going around and in the end the person that though that he was coning gets with no money by his "friends" . It's not the one with Cage and the girl, it's not the one with pool and Tom Cruise but it's something like that, with a bunch of cons going around, also of course not the sting. Any clue?

You know? IMHO The Sting has a bit of the same problem as Bringing up Baby ... it's just a bit too silly. Also, Butch and Sundance has the same problem.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with that tough ... I re-watched Crank the other day with Jason Statham... it's the same way ... outrageous and silly... but it's also supposed to be. To be fair, nearly all action movie are a bit silly in their own way... it's all in how they go about it and whether they're aware of it or not that I think makes some of the difference... what kind of effect is being attempted.

I've heard that same thing about Newman...

-tg

Goodness, I absolutely love Apollo 13. But I'm a huge Tom Hanks fan. For me, Apollo 13 is one of those films with a fantastic cast, and takes itself perfectly seriously. And also, the history lesson is just a bonus.

But, truth be told, I'll watch anything Hanks does (if only to watch him act). I recently re-watched Turner & Hooch, and laughed myself silly (being a dog lover myself). However, some of his other RomCom stuff isn't at the top of my list (although I enjoyed them). But his dramatic stuff is second-to-none. His latest, Greyhound, I've already watched it three or four times. It's one of those films I like to re-watch, just to catch nuances I didn't catch the first time through. Also, I'm a big WWII buff, so that's a bonus. I love all the scenes where the young sailors are looking to/at him, hoping he'll somehow pull them through and not get them killed. (In some ways, it's like an even more real version of In Harms Way, but wrong ocean.)
    Last edited by Elroy; Mar 4th, 2022 at 12:34 PM.

King of sapila

Hanks and WWII.. Hmm, what to watch what to watch... S_P_R

For movies I've watched a few times over, I'd include Master and Commander, and The Martian. I liked the science in the latter one....well, in both, really.

PowerPoster

In the caped spandex genre I'd have to include "Logan" myself.

I've also repeatedly watched The Martian, and I liked the quasi-science as well. However, regarding the science, many have come after it with all guns blazing. Apparently, when you take a hard look at it, it's way off base. (Sorry for the hokey idioms.)

This also makes me think of First Man (Ryan Gosling). IMO, they just pushed the drama over the edge in that one. I mean, they were a team and they supported each other (which wasn't shown in that movie). Also, all the original astronauts definitely knew how to party. For me, I like The Right Stuff much better (although that one was probably over the top in the party direction, but not too much).
    Last edited by Elroy; Mar 4th, 2022 at 04:52 PM.

I've also repeatedly watched The Martian, and I liked the quasi-science as well. However, regarding the science, many have come after it with all guns blazing. Apparently, when you take a hard look at it, it's way off base. (Sorry for the hokey idioms.)
    I went looking and didn't find much. Their guns might have been blazing, but did they all miss? I found this site pretty interesting:

https://the-martian.fandom.com/wiki/...c_Inaccuracies

What I thought was particularly cool is how fast technology has changed. Some of the things that the book didn't mention...they couldn't have mentioned, because they weren't known at the time.

Hi Shaggy. The article you referenced does a pretty good job of it. I also googled "the martian" "science" and found a few more, but they mostly just mention the same things in the article you found. Hey, it's an extremely rare SciFi that gets all the science correct.

One of my biggest beefs is that they never mention the word "quantum" in Star Trek Next Gen when talking about Data. It's as if none of the writers nor consultants read any Alan Turing or John Searle. IMHO, you can't have anything close to consciousness without moving beyond 1's and 0's. But I'm still a huge Trekkie.

Favorite movies top 10.
    Titanic
    The Terminator
    Terminator 2
    Predator
    Predator 2
    The Abyss
    The Matrix 1,2&3(count them as 1)(And no, not 4, that one is garbage)
    Gone with the Wind
    Star Wars Ep 1,2,3,4,5,6(Count as 1)(The last 3, episodes 7,8 & 9 are utter incomprehensible levels of trash. They don't exist as far as I'm concerned. Star Wars ended with Return of the Jedi)
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

I never expected much from Star Trek from its disappointing beginning. It turned out to be "sci-fi" (a la Birdemic or BSG) rather than science fiction. Have people forgotten the marketing distinction between the two things? That doesn't mean there was nothing good about Trek, it just didn't "have rivets" in its science, as they used to say in the industry.

War Games (first)
    Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle / The Next Level
    Where Eagles Dare
    Kelly's Heroes
    Space Cowboys
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone et al
    de Vinci Code / Angels & Demons
    The Dirty Dozen (original)
    Mission Impossible film series
    Star Trek II, III, IV
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

PowerPoster

I'd have a hard time passing on the Jason Bourne franchise. Love those flicks.

I agree - they'd be next on my list. Together with Star Wars IV, V, VI (original 3).
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

PowerPoster

What??? No one likes David Lean movies?

Lawrence of Arabia
    Bridge on the River Kwai
    Doctor Zhivago

Some other grand spectacles

Ben Hur
    Gone with the Wind
    The Ten Commandments

Probably the movie I've watched the most times is a much simpler movie, The Maltese Falcon
    Great cast of characters.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    The Ten Commandments
    Forgot about this. Despite not being a religious person at all, this is one of my favorite movies ever made, a testament to it's quality when even an "atheist/agnostic" can enjoy it
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    Forgot about this. Despite not being a religious person at all, this is one of my favorite movies ever made, a testament to it's quality when even an "atheist/agnostic" can enjoy it
    "so let it written, so let it be done"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bQnxlHZsjY

Better have lots of popcorn. 3:40 long.

"so let it written, so let it be done"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bQnxlHZsjY

Better have lots of popcorn. 3:40 long.

I've watched The Maltese Falcon a few times, but, if we're going to pick Bogey films (and exclude Casablanca), I've got to go with The Big Sleep. A few years back, my wife and I played that thing on a DVD, stopping and starting, and took notes, noting who met who and when, and what they were told. And sure enough, if all makes sense.

If you just watch that thing straight through, for me at least, it's sort of mesmerizing. It's like WOW, how's he figuring all that out? You sort of know it makes sense, but you're not sure how.

And gosh, I may as well mention To Have and Have Not as well. "You know how to whistle, don't ya? You just pucker your lips and blow." Gotta like it when Bogey and Bacall get together. And that's Hoagy Carmichael on the piano in that movie ... not much of an actor, but a great song-writer. It's just cool seeing him in the movie, and playing around with Bacall.

Name:  fb7bf3_82c8d72815f84cb3ae789bca4bc162d0.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  38.2 KB
    Last edited by Elroy; Mar 6th, 2022 at 12:59 AM.

PowerPoster

Well we all have different tastes. Casabanca probably wouldn't rank in my top 5 favorites of Bogart films. I think his best acting was in the Treasure of the Sierra. But some films you just enjoy watching, I enjoy watching every character in Maltese Falcon.

Well we all have different tastes.
    Oh gosh, no doubt. That's one reason the threads over here are a bit more enjoyable than some of the actual programming threads. I truly believe there are differences in "style" and "terminology" and actual "approach to achieving function". But, reading some of them, you'd think there's absolutely only one way to get things done, and if you're not doing it that way, you're just WRONG. I guess some could take that approach about movies, but, for any reasonable person, it should be more difficult.

But, Casablanca is clearly Bogey's best film, if not the best film ever made.

What - no Michael Caine films?

Ipcress File
    Funeral In Berlin
    The Italian Job
    Too Late The Hero
    Get Carter
    The Black Windmill
    The Man Who Would Be King
    The Eagle Has Landed
    A Bridge Too Far
    The Forth Protocol

There's 10 just there!

Then there's the spy films:

The Third Man
    The Spy Who Came In From The Cold
    The Looking Glass War
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    Last edited by 2kaud; Mar 7th, 2022 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Then there's the spy films:
    Personally, I thought that Bridge of Spies (Tom Hanks) was phenomenal. I need to re-watch that one.

I'd forgotten about that one. I agree, a re-watch is definitely in order.

Other Spy / Thriller Films I really enjoyed are;

No Way Out, Enemy of the State & Sneakers > which are all more fast moving and and probably an easier watch.

Millers Crossing, Gorky Park, The Conversation > more tense thriller type films.

The Conversation in particular is one of those slower moving films where the tension builds and builds, its a great film and I love it, but its not for everyone

The Third Man
    The Spy Who Came In From The Cold
    The Looking Glass War
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    Didn't even realise there was a film version of The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, I will have to watch that.

I have read a lot of Le Carre including that book, he is one the best writer of Spy novels ever imho.

A lot of the best adaptations of his work are TV Serial Dramas though

King of sapila

If we talk about spy films loosely, I would add the first bond films.
    Can't say I really enjoy spy films tho.
    Also it's a happy surprise that I don't see anyone quoting the new Marvel movies, although admittedly the last Avengers was enjoyable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast