Thread: A Quick Saving Question *Solved*

A Quick Saving Question *Solved*

Hello! What I am trying to do is to have 1 button in a form save both a bitmap and a text file in the same folder with just one click. So what I wanted it to do was to open a FolderBrowserDialog for the user to select a folder to save them in. I get the MsgBox saying "done" at the end though, but I see no created files.
    Nothing is saved with this code:
    vb Code:
    1. Private Sub ButtonSave_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles ButtonSave.Click
    2.         If MessageBox.Show("Would you like to save?", "Save As...", MessageBoxButtons.YesNo) = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.Yes Then
    3.             MessageBox.Show("Please choose a folder.", "Save As...", MessageBoxButtons.OK)
    4.             If FolderBrowserDialog1.ShowDialog() = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.OK Then
    5.                 Dim Map As New Bitmap(PanelFullMapToSave.Width, PanelFullMapToSave.Height)
    6.                 PanelFullMapToSave.DrawToBitmap(Map, New Rectangle(0, 0, PanelFullMapToSave.Width, PanelFullMapToSave.Height))
    7.                 Map.Save(FolderBrowserDialog1.SelectedPath & "bitmap.png", System.Drawing.Imaging.ImageFormat.Png)
    8.                 Dim SW As System.IO.StreamWriter = New System.IO.StreamWriter(FolderBrowserDialog1.SelectedPath & "data.txt")
    9.                 SW.WriteLine(Data)
    10.                 SW.Dispose()
    11.                 MsgBox("done")
    12.             End If
    13.         End If
    14.     End Sub

HOWEVER I had previously used this code using a SaveFileDialog, and it worked (saved the bitmap in the location.) In this case I had only saved the bitmap.
    vb Code:
    1. Private Sub ButtonSave_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles ButtonSave.Click
    2.         If SaveFileDialog1.ShowDialog = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.OK Then
    3.             Dim Map As New Bitmap(PanelFullMapToSave.Width, PanelFullMapToSave.Height)
    4.             PanelFullMapToSave.DrawToBitmap(Map, New Rectangle(0, 0, PanelFullMapToSave.Width, PanelFullMapToSave.Height))
    5.             Map.Save(SaveFileDialog1.FileName, System.Drawing.Imaging.ImageFormat.Png)
    6.         End If
    7.     End Sub

Did I miss something in the first block of code? Thanks.
    Last edited by NinjaNic; Aug 2nd, 2014 at 03:37 PM.

Re: A Quick Saving Question

Debug the file path. It's wrong. You should always debug.

Code:
    Dim path As String = IO.Path.Combine(fbd.SelectedPath, "image.jpeg")

Solved! I forgot the back slash. Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNic View Post
    Solved! I forgot the back slash. Thanks for the help!
    NO!

ident showed you the correct way, use IO.Path.Combine, otherwise if you add a backslash to your code and the user happens to select the root drive as the destination then your code will most likely fail since the file path would then contain two backslashes in it.

EDIT: Although it may not always matter, under Win7 using IO.File this still works without error!
    IO.File.WriteAllText("M:\\\New folder\\OK.TXT", "Testing 1,2,3.")
    Last edited by Edgemeal; Aug 2nd, 2014 at 04:00 PM.

Re: A Quick Saving Question *Solved*

Thanks, I read his code wrong and put the & instead of a comma. Now I can remove the back slash and it works.