Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: above 50 years old and still programming

Re: above 50 years old and still programming

Ok so I think Im done programming full time professionally. Burnt out and ready to go full time with my composites business, its just more satisfying now. Probably take a part time contract job to fill in the gaps if I need to but still like to do the projects I want to program
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Good on you!

What kind of composites?
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

Carbon fiber
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Awsome Possum!

Going to build car bodies?

There is a machine shop in hillsborough Oregon where the owner is building 3/4 scale replicas of WWII fighters out of carbon fiber. Pretty cool stuff.

~T

Domestic car body interior and exterior parts. Been doing it for 3 years now as a side business/hobby but its taken off quite good and Im swamped working 2 jobs

Business has been doubling each year so far and this year its beyond that. August was my biggest month ever! Beat Black Friday / Cyber Monday sale and November sales from last year and its just August lol

Going shop shopping this week. Out grown current setup

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Are all your customers in LA or from across the US?

~T

Mostly eastern USA but I sell/ship worldwide. Canada is my next biggest customer base.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Just wanted to say I am just coming up to 70 and I am still working (don't want to retire/change paths as coding is my hobby too) , but it has been a hard trip lately. I have to keep learning the latest stuff. Just completed a contract on .NET MVC, and previous a contract in .NET WPF

Hang in there, master the new techniques and keep trying!

Man y'all are old! Leave the coding to us youngsters!
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Quote Originally Posted by senrdev View Post
    Just wanted to say I am just coming up to 70 and I am still working (don't want to retire/change paths as coding is my hobby too) , but it has been a hard trip lately. I have to keep learning the latest stuff. Just completed a contract on .NET MVC, and previous a contract in .NET WPF

Hang in there, master the new techniques and keep trying!
    Cool!
    CodeBank: VB.NET & C#.NET | ASP.NET
    Programming: C# | VB.NET
    Blogs: Personal | Programming
    Projects: GitHub | jsFiddle
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Rating someone's post is a way of saying Thanks...

I am coming up to 70, too. I just have a long ways to go.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I am coming up on 300 eventually. Feels like I am almost there.

~T

Ok so seeing how I am not as deep into programming anymore and my composites business is growing each year I think its time to quit my job and go full time with the business. I get more joy (and money) out of it and Im not under the gun with deadlines or budget cuts to where I need to look for a new job etc.

Thinking January will be as good as time as any as the season (april) for automotive composites is fast approaching.

I may still do some consulting to fill in any income gaps that may occur but for the most part I am done programming professionally

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Cool... congrats. I'm also working on a "Get out of development" plan as well. It's taking longer than I would have liked to do just trying to find out what that alternate plan should be. I'm still going to need to do this keyboard jockey thing for a few more years yet though.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Thanks TG! Yea its been a plan in the works since 2012 at least. I just miss being outside and tired of being chained to a desk. Life is passing by and I dont even have a window to see it from lol. The only way Ive been able to do some life-ful things is to burn the midnight oil and make the most of the 24 hours in a day/night.

Its not quite the right time for this but if I dont do it in January I'll have to wait for next year.

Also been wanting to flip a house or two as good profits if it works out.

So I hope that I wont go homeless this year and to insure that I'll be stocking up on instant ramen noodles lol.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

my composites business is growing each year
    So you'll be favouring composition over inheritance then...

Good luck. I personally still love coding but I'm a firm believer in doing what you love so if it's time to jump, jump. If you feel like expanding the business over the pond and need someone to drive one of those Cobras around for you, purely on a promotional basis, I'll be happy to oblige. My rate will be very reasonable.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    So you'll be favouring composition over inheritance then...

Good luck. I personally still love coding but I'm a firm believer in doing what you love so if it's time to jump, jump. If you feel like expanding the business over the pond and need someone to drive one of those Cobras around for you, purely on a promotional basis, I'll be happy to oblige. My rate will be very reasonable.
    Thanks and Ahahaha "sure". Currently I have customers in the US, Canada and Kuwait. Im not 50 yet so the validation for this thread will fail

Things change over our lifetimes and just burnt out coding. 30+ years was a good run

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

To some extent, I did the inverse of what you are doing. All my degrees are in biology, which I still work with, though it is no longer my job. I moved away from that into programming. Kind of like it, too. On the other hand, I don't lack for the "getting outside" part, and that does make it far more enjoyable.

By the way, if you ran a Ford and a GM through the same crusher at the same time, would that result in a composite?

That would result in only the Ford surviving and the Chevy would be outputted as waste excrement lol

Probably since I spend my weekends working the composite business its my "outside" and if I didnt have it I would be insde on the computer growing my skillset. I used to do that allot in the previous years but I dont think it was worth the sacrafice

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

I am 65 and just started learning it.
    Regards lol
    sebalius

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    Ok so seeing how I am not as deep into programming anymore and my composites business is growing each year I think its time to quit my job and go full time with the business. I get more joy (and money) out of it and Im not under the gun with deadlines or budget cuts to where I need to look for a new job etc.

Thinking January will be as good as time as any as the season (april) for automotive composites is fast approaching.

I may still do some consulting to fill in any income gaps that may occur but for the most part I am done programming professionally
    Hows your business today Rob?
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

@dee-u, how are things in your world? Still doing medical facility implementations?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    @dee-u, how are things in your world? Still doing medical facility implementations?
    I'm working in a College now. No, I am not into medical facility implementations. How about there? I hope things are good.
    Regards,

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

@dee-u - things are great here! Does your college use Colleague software by any chance? I've got a client with that setup and I've done extensive add-on's and department specific sub-app. Been keeping me very busy. Got a patent on a new database concept and looking for investors - been difficult finding the right people.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

@dee-u - things are great here! Does your college use Colleague software by any chance? I've got a client with that setup and I've done extensive add-on's and department specific sub-app. Been keeping me very busy. Got a patent on a new database concept and looking for investors - been difficult finding the right people.
    I've heard rumors that our College may purchase an enrollment system, I know you've developed one, right? But I am not just sure how you can venture here as we may have different requirements here in our country. We may in fact turn to a University this year and we have for now 6 campuses and more could be added. Our campuses are dispersed in different towns and we don't have a system that could be used by the whole College.
    Regards,

Your private message quota is exceeded, I can't reply to your PM anymore.
    Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by dee-u View Post
    Your private message quota is exceeded, I can't reply to your PM anymore.
    I removed some...remember Jumper 77?

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Yeah. He hasn't been around in a while. I chatted with him a fair amount, too.

It was a nice bit of nostalgia to see Gruff's name up here. Thank you for reviving this thread.

Gruff's last visit was 2016, did you know him personally?
    Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    Thanks for sharing that - I recall it clearly, his daughters message was so powerful. We were all a friendlier group back then I must say!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

No, we weren't. You have a join date from 2004, but you may not have seen the immigration thread. Things were less censored, and sometimes much less polite. It depends on the people, the way they talk to one another, and so on. Gruff was a good guy, so he made places better. If we lose people like that, we need others.

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    That's sad, I didn't know that, wasn't active during that time.
    Regards,

Thanks for sharing that - I recall it clearly, his daughters message was so powerful. We were all a friendlier group back then I must say!
    I registered on 2005 and I remember that we are indeed friendlier back then. Good times. It is great that many "veterans" are still active in the forums, it is great seeing you guys still post/comment things here.
    Regards,

Frenzied Member

Hmmm, if I ever still do write computer programs it's only when I'm bored. Last thing I remember doing was trying to downgrade a Tetris clone I wrote in Qbasic to work in GwBasic and I found myself asking whether I didn't have anything more fun or useful to do...

Perhaps I will finish it, but I really don't feel like it right now.

yours,
    Peter Swinkels
    Last edited by Peter Swinkels; Feb 8th, 2021 at 09:03 AM. Reason: darned typo's...

I know this thread is old, but anyway, I'm over 50. Currently I'm trying to update an old screen recorder I created, and I'm also slapping together a program to copy, save and replay my cursor's interactions with various photo editing programs.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Gruff was a good guy, so he made places better.
    I'll second that. He had a ready and unselfish wit that really brought joy to the forum.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Currently working with counterparts from Pennsylvania and one of the team member is almost 70. He's still awesome at coding..
    CodeBank: VB.NET & C#.NET | ASP.NET
    Programming: C# | VB.NET
    Blogs: Personal | Programming
    Projects: GitHub | jsFiddle
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Rating someone's post is a way of saying Thanks...

And he's part of a counter? Which part?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast