Thread: Can't seem to get Autorun.inf to work

Addicted Member

Can't seem to get Autorun.inf to work

In the past our CD nstall file was called Setup.exe and the auto run worked fine. However, we have decided to keep older version available so we started calling them by their version number, but the autorun.inf does not seem to work now. The autorun.inf file is in the root of the cd AND we also include in the root, AutoRun.exe and our file called Version 7 Setup.exe. Here is what's in the autorun.inf :

[autorun]
    open="Version 7 Setup.exe"

Any ideas?

Mickey

PowerPoster

Re: Can't seem to get Autorun.inf to work

At a guess I would suspect the Spaces in the filename

Look at the example.

[autorun]
    OPEN=SETUP.EXE /AUTORUN

Not sure if you need "AUTORUN" on the end or not but might be worth a try?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Addicted Member

DataMiser I think you may be right that it does not like long file names even with the quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeykelley View Post
    DataMiser I think you may be right that it does not like long file names even with the quotes.
    Why not rename it "Setup.exe"? The version number should in the program details such as "File Version" or "Product Version".
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

Addicted Member

The reason is to keep it easy to recognize, otherwise they are all Setup.exe which is what it was. Trying to keep it simple, consistent and obvious for all stuff be it CD, web download or our servers. Spaces make it more readable but looks like we will have to just go with crammed together using case or underscores.

PowerPoster

The part that I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around here is the autorun part. I fully understand the need to possibly include more than one version on the disk. What I do not understand is why the one in the autorun needs to be named with a version number as there is only 1 autorun it could be anything within spec, so setup.exe would be fine or autorun.exe

Personally what I would do is create a totally separate program call it autorun.exe and that would be the autorun, that program would have a little menu screen of sorts that lets the user choose which version to install then it would shell the proper setup based on the user selection.

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    Personally what I would do is create a totally separate program call it autorun.exe and that would be the autorun, that program would have a little menu screen of sorts that lets the user choose which version to install then it would shell the proper setup based on the user selection.
    Good idea!