Thread: [RESOLVED] Making your program more antivirus friendly

Resolved [RESOLVED] Making your program more antivirus friendly

I've made multiple programs in Visual Studio. Some very small and some pretty big. But I cannot figure out how to make it more AV/browser friendly.

For example, when I try to download my own program from Dropbox, Google Chrome says that it is malicious.

Once I get around google chrome and run the program, Avast puts it in a virtual environment so that it does not hurt my computer. Which is fine, but makes the program/debugging phase very slow.

Here are the virus total results of my latest.

What can I do to make computers/browsers/AVs not detect false positives on my programs?

Hunter

Addicted Member

Re: Making your program more antivirus friendly

What happens if you place it in a zip file or winrar? I haven't used Dropbox but normally I zip up my files for transport otherwise warnings are issued.

A few years ago when I was writing WPF applications, Norton AV would intercept and delete my .exe every time I compiled and tried to run the program. It only happened with WPF which i found odd but I configured Norton to exclude the Projects directory. I wasn't the only one having that problem and the eventually fixed it but you should have an option to either exclude that file from AV detection or exclude the folder.

I think there is something different about this. Sometimes IE warns me the exe I want to download is a rarely downloaded one. So it asks if am I sure to download it. What I mean is the circulation of file is another rating issue for security tools.
    God, are you punishing me because my hair is better than yours? -Jack Donaghy

I will consider distributing it in a .zip file.

Does anyone know about signing or getting a programmed signed? Something involving a certificate? Would that have any affect?

Hunter

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by HunterTTP View Post
    Avast puts it in a virtual environment so that it does not hurt my computer. Which is fine, but makes the program/debugging phase very slow.
    Just a comment. Avast goes through phases when it becomes developer unfriendly with flagging everything. It can be quite annoying. It usually blocks VS the copying of the Exe from the the Obj to the Bin folder. One work around is to exclude your development folder from the scans, but that really is not ideal.