Thread: Best small database to use on a PC tablet?

Frenzied Member

Question Best small database to use on a PC tablet?

Hello,

I have a .NET program I am writing for Windows 8 that will be using MS SQL server. This program will also be running on a PC tablet with Windows 8 (not RT) and I need to use an alternate database on it that is not too big that I can import/export data with the MS SQL server. Wouild something like the compact SQL server work for this? I need something that I can deploy with the program when they install it. What options do you suggest?

Thanks,
    Warren

Re: Best small database to use on a PC tablet?

As you are already using SQL Server for one "version" of the program, it would make sense to use it for the other one too, as you can then re-use more of the code, and the import/export process should be easier (which is good if it needs to be done regularly).

It is debatable whether the Compact Edition or the Express Edition would be better for you... assuming that Express will run on the tablets it will be less effort in terms of code (as it is almost the same as the full version, so you can reuse most/all of the code), but will take a little bit more effort setting up, and will use more memory and disk space.

Frenzied Member

I was really looking at the SQL Compact 4 to use on the tablet end. I don't need a lot of capability. The program is not too big. Just something to hold data for one account at a time. No more than 100 records per table. And it looks like it will be easy to deploy. As long as it will work what do you think?

If you only need the features that Compact has (eg: I think Stored Procedures are not available), then it is probably the best choice for you.

I used SQL CE several years ago on a PocketPC app I wrote - that sync'd with MS SQL Server when docked.

Was a piece of cake.

I recall limited datatypes - no sprocs - but nothing that got in the way of processing. I was able to load up IMAGES in the SQL CE database for students in classes.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Frenzied Member

Well I've been thinking more.. I probably do want to use stored procedures which are easier for the reports and all. So I'll try installing SQL Server Express 2012 on my HP Omni tablet I just bought and see how it goes. I do not need much room for the data but not sure how much room the server itself tables up.

Thanks

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008