Thread: Winsock Question

PowerPoster

Winsock Question

Can I use one Winsock control for both Client and Server whichever it turns out to be?

I want two apps both able to connect to each other and listen for a connection from the other side

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

PowerPoster

Re: Winsock Question

If the Winsock control is listening then it cannot connect, and vice versa. But it is possible to flip between modes of operation.

Here is one I had lying around:

Name:  sshot chat.png
Views: 384
Size:  25.5 KB
    Attached Files Attached Files

PowerPoster

When I click on your link I get following message:

File 'Unicode1on1 Chat.zip' appears malicious

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

PowerPoster

Interesting, since it contains nothing but source code.

Addicted Member

Use winsock for the client, and winsock with an Index of 0 for the listening server. Make the server load a new winsock for each connection. That's how you accept multiple connections.
    And it says it's malicious because it's a vb extension. I have Chrome and it does that to me every time.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Conroy Vanderbluff View Post
    Use winsock for the client, and winsock with an Index of 0 for the listening server. Make the server load a new winsock for each connection. That's how you accept multiple connections.
    I already know that but that wasn't my question. It's not for multiple connections; it's only for two-way communication where either side can be either the client or the server depending on who connects to who. I was just wondering if that can be done using only one Winsock per side instead of two Winsocks per side.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post

Here is one I had lying around:
    That is exactly what I needed. Thanks, dile

PowerPoster

Sheesh.

Name:  Dead End.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  28.9 KB

Welcome to the end of the WWW, hope you had a nice ride!

Glad you finally got through the screening software at your end.