Thread: Overclocking

Addicted Member

Overclocking

HI

I've been hearing the phrase "overclocking"....the motherboard, the vid card..and all other things possible...

but has anyone successfully done it, with little/no side effects??

if so, can you help me, i'm in desperate need of some speed

icq# 82521480

Thanx

PowerPoster
    I have tried, but failed to overclock before. If you have an Intel motherboard, forget it. It doesn't allow overclocking and won't boot at all (to my horror). AMD CPU's are the favoured overclocking processor, so if you have one of them and a mobo that doesn't retrain you, then go for it. The best way it to go is to increase the multiplier on the mobo in 0.5x increments. Test it after each increase and only do it a couple if times to reduce risk of frying. This will also increase your FSB speed which is an added bonus (which will speed up allthe other major components as well - video card etc)

Addicted Member
    scratch that then.....
    i ahve a 300mhz pentium 2

so, i'm guesssing it's not toign to work....

nevermind, cause i don't really wanna loose my HD and fry the motherboard.

PowerPoster
    No, Pent II will be okay, but only if you don't have an Intel mobo. Check your docs or rip of the PC case to have a look. If it's Intel, bad luck!

Pentium 2s are pretty bad for overclocking, they tend to just lock up with anything other than the standard. Try it though. The best chips for overclocking are the early Celerons, K6-2s, P3 450 & 500, and pretty much any Athlon.

All Intel chips are multiplier-locked, you can't change the multiplier on them. Intel don't like people overclocking, because it obviously means they don't upgrade so soon AMD are much more laid back but I'm not sure if their multipliers are locked. The best way to overclock is to increase the FSB frequency a little. The processor works at the multiplier (locked on Intel chips) multiplied by the bus frequency, so if you have a 100 MHz bus and a multiplier of 3 you get a 300 MHz CPU. If you increase the bus speed to, say, 102MHz, you end up with a 306 MHz.

www.sharkyextreme.com has a lot of information on overclocking.
    Harry.

"From one thing, know ten thousand things."

chenko
    My mates pc has the speed in the Bios, if he wants he can speed his 400Mhz PIII to a "700"

Addicted Member
    you guys are talking about doing some changing...is that change throught the software...or....is there some switch on the motherboard that i switch??

can someone help me out, so i don't totally screw up the putter...

thanx a lot

Well it depends on your motherboard. The best thing would be if you can change it in the BIOS in software, but not all motherboards allow that. Otherwise there might be DIP switches on the mohterboard which you can chenge. If there aren't DIP switches there should at least be pins which you can connect with jumpers to change settings.

If you have a manual for your motherboard, it should tell you. If not, try to find out what kind of motherboard you have and you can probably find the info somewhere. Or just look through the BIOS for the options.
    Last edited by HarryW; May 13th, 2001 at 02:09 PM.
    Harry.

chenko
    Look at the link Harry gave you, Now most of the time you will probaly have to change a jumper on your motherboard somewhere so check yout motherboard manual... and also check if there is an option in your bios.

si

chenko
    Originally posted by HarryW
    Well it depends on your monitor. The best thing would be if you can change it in the BIOS in software, but not all motherboards allow that. Otherwise there might be DIP switches on the mohterboard which you can chenge. If there aren't DIP switches there should at least be pins which you can connect with jumpers to change settings.

If you have a manual for your motherboard, it should tell you. If not, try to find out what kind of motherboard you have and you can probably find the info somewhere. Or just look through the BIOS for the options.
    *ahem* ...Motherboard

also as Harry said, DIP switches

Er....... oops, don't know how that got in there I'll change it.
    Harry.

chenko
    Originally posted by HarryW
    Er....... oops, don't know how that got in there I'll change it.
    Well, Ive quoted it so everyone will know MUWAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Addicted Member
    i checked out the site that harry gave me http://www.sharkyextreme.com/

but i can't find my motherboard, or anything close..

her's the site with the info about my motherboard

http://gateway.com/support/techdocs/...4a4ll0x0.shtml

check that out....and see if someone can help me with that.....tahnx

Well that Gateway site was pretty useless as far as technical information goes. It doesn't even explicitly tell you the chipset. I'm not sure if it's an Intel board or if they just mean it takes an Intel chip, so I'll see if I can find out if it's an Intel.
    Harry.

Addicted Member
    thanx a lot....

if you find out anything...contact me with icq