Thread: [RESOLVED] Question about Class module

PowerPoster

Resolved [RESOLVED] Question about Class module

In a class module is there a sub such as when you make an instance of the class that it is called where you can pass arguments?

Like in Java, for example, I have a class called Square

When I make an instance of this class I do this:

Square sq = new Square(x1,y1,x2,y2)

How to do this in VB for same named class

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

PowerPoster

Re: Question about Class module

I'm not sure if VB6 supports arguments on the create line or not, I know VB.Net does but in Vb6 you may need to create a procedure in you class that accepts those arguments and call that to initialize the class after the New

You definitely can't dim it on the same line as you assign a value in VB6 though you can in Vb.Net

PowerPoster

The initialize event which is called when a class is created does not support arguments.

PowerPoster

VB6 doesn't support class construtor, you can only add initialize code under Class_Initialize which doesn't accept arguments.

PowerPoster

I thought that may be the case, been a while since I created a class that needed this in VB6

So you need a class and in that class you need a public sub or function that accepts the arguments then you need to call that sub/function after you create the New instance of the class

Code:
    Dim MyClass as clsSquare
    MyClass=New clsSquare

MyClass.MySub(x1,y1,x2,y2)
    Or Square could be a function in the class which may make more sense, hard to say with the info provided

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    I thought that may be the case, been a while since I created a class that needed this in VB6

So you need a class and in that class you need a public sub or function that accepts the arguments then you need to call that sub/function after you create the New instance of the class

Code:
    Dim MyClass as clsSquare
    MyClass=New clsSquare

MyClass.MySub(x1,y1,x2,y2)
    Or Square could be a function in the class which may make more sense, hard to say with the info provided
    Can the name of the sub be the same as the class name?

Code:
    Dim MyClass as clsSquare
    MyClass=New clsSquare

MyClass.clsSquare(x1,y1,x2,y2)

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jmsrickland View Post
    Can the name of the sub be the same as the class name?

Code:
    Dim MyClass as clsSquare
    MyClass=New clsSquare

MyClass.clsSquare(x1,y1,x2,y2)
    I was doubt but after testing, i found it is accepted!!

PowerPoster

OK, then that's how I will do it.

Thanks all.