Thread: Looking for some help compiling code

Looking for some help compiling code

I'll try to keep this quick for you all.

I have some software that I need to modify. I have the original .exe (which works fine) plus the source code from the supplier. Now I have modified the source code how I would like, tested to my limits in Visual Basic 6.0 (A program called NanoVB). The issue is that I cannot now compile this into a usable .exe due to the software restrictions.

This is where I seem to be incredibly stuck. Obviously MS does not support/distribute VB 6.0 any more, and I cannot seem to track any reasonable copies on Amazon/eBay - so reluctantly I turned to google. I have searched for alternative IDEs/compilers, but none compile the code that VB 6.0 has no problem with. It seems very stupid, I have a working piece of software but have no way of getting it into .exe format. Obviously the issue that I come across is something like 'You do not have the correct licence' (or words to that effect). I have also attempted installing the full version of Visual Basic 6.0 but physically cannot due to the fact that I run Windows 8 (even none of the 'workarounds' do not work).

To state my background, I am a web coder/developer with little/no interest in software development - except for this one project. All I need is the software compiling and I will be happy again! I have also searched to the ends of the earth for similar software with the extra feature that I would like, with no success. Can anyone give me any help/hints/tips about how to cross the 'broken bridge'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Re: Looking for some help compiling code

Welcome to the forums.

Are you looking for something like http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Visu.../dp/B00002S7HR

PowerPoster

Re: Looking for some help compiling code

I was just looking at the prices of the new copies on the link above $749 - $1503 Used from $299 - $580

Another option is to get a MSDN subscription around $1200 but allows you to get several different versions of the software including VB6 Enterprise Edition and test copies of several MS operating Systems as well as access to many other tools, Hard to beat that price for what it gives you. If you need more than one piece of software you get a good deal and if you need several then it is a great deal.