Thread: Adding Web access to a desktop app - guidance/advice pls

Adding Web access to a desktop app - guidance/advice pls

Hi Group

First off, I hope this is the correct forum.

I have a desktop application which uses BTree/Random Access files for it's core database function. It has run successfully from DOS up to 64bit Windows 7/8 for years now. Currently being developed and maintained with PDS 7.1/VB6 and VB.NET

I now have a fundamental requirement to add/delete/update records using a browser. My users need to host their own server in their office. They have a public facing IP address. Ideally the server should be a desktop machine (W7/8 64bit) which can be used to run the desktop app as well.

Low loading; possibly 100 - 200 requests per hour.

Can anyone suggest a technology which would best enable me to achieve this?

I cannot switch to a SQL type product as this would break my desktop app (proprietary BTree/Random Access architecture)

I am leaning to writing an HTTP server in VB.NET (there are many examples available and even some components)

Open to suggestions / comments

Thanks
    Last edited by Enveetee; Nov 8th, 2013 at 06:05 AM.

Re: Adding Web access to a desktop app - guidance/advice pls

Using VB.Net would be a good idea in terms of future support, as you won't need to re-write for the next version of Windows (which might be necessary with a VB6 app).

There is no need to write an HTTP server, as one already exists that you can easily make use of (IIS, which is built in to desktop and server versions of Windows). Simply create an ASP.Net site rather than a desktop app.

Note that there are several reasons that it is better to use a server rather than a desktop machine (including the fact that servers tend to be more reliable, and turned on 24/7), but you do not need a dedicated server for the kind of usage level you expect - it can be on a server which performs other duties too (assuming there is already one in use which has some spare capacity).

Quote Originally Posted by Enveetee View Post
    I hope this is the correct forum.
    It's hard to be sure at the moment, but it is OK here for now.

Si

Thanks for that - it was the reply I was hoping for. Any links to ASP.NET for noobs pls. Fairly up with VB.NET/VB6 and bits of java/c

Hope Bristol is drier than Brighton this morning!!

Nigel

I'm not a good source of info for ASP.Net just yet, but I've moved this thread to our ASP.Net forum so others can give the info you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Enveetee View Post
    Hope Bristol is drier than Brighton this morning!!
    Unfortunately not, but at least I can stay indoors for the next few hours!

Hey,

As Si has said, there is no need to re-invent the wheel. IIS is a web server that comes with every version of Windows, so it is very simple to get up and running.

If you haven't done so already, go and grab yourself the free Visual Web Developer Express:

http://www.asp.net/vwd

Which will allow you to get up and running creating your first ASP.Net Web Application.

One of the best places to start is right here on the forums, ask questions, and we will do our best to answer.

You can also find a getting started guide here:

http://www.asp.net/get-started

You are immediately going to see mention of ASP.Net Web Forms, MVC, API, Web Sites, Razor, and lots of other terms, that may confuse you to start with, but try to focus on just the basics just now. I would suggest that you get started with ASP.Net Web Forms, as the learning curve here is much less than some of the other technologies.

Hope that helps!

Gary

Hi Gary

Thanks for the reply - I know Si moved my post to this forum, I must have lost it somehow. Just come back here to find out what Dev tools I should use and saw your post.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gep13 View Post
    Hey,

If you haven't done so already, go and grab yourself the free Visual Web Developer Express:

http://www.asp.net/vwd

Gary

Gary

This will not install, asks for SQL Server Express password? Do I need to install SQL SE. What edition, from where. I suppose I need something else? Any ideas? I have VS2008 installed for my Vb.NET dev

Cheers

King of sapila

IF you have VS2008 edition installed, the full edition, then you don't need the Web Developer if you are ok with the 3.5 framework (thus asp.net concerned, not working with Web Api's or using async await that is rare to find in a web application or new MVC features that i am not aware of).
    Generally you shouldn't have any problems on using Asp.net with Visual studio 2008. Or course if you want to go the newest trend with using Web API (instead of web service or WCF or not web service at all) and the latest MVC then, yeah, you must have a newer version. Personally i am only using the VS2012 because i want to look into web API. The web server manipulation, database manipulation, web client manipulation JavaScript, Jquery, Ajax has no difference whatsoever if you switch to a newer VS version. Well any client manipulation is browser(s) specific,sort of, so Visual Studio plays no part at all. My guess is, as you just starting with asp.net, that you will be using a lot of server controls and less client side scripting, so this will not have any impact on the above aspects mentioned, when switch to a newer VS version.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Well as far as your SQL Server Express password query is concern you may need to install the sql express which is free if not previously installed. While installation it will ask you about the db instance name, username and password. To download MSSQL Server use this link. This should work.

Thanks,
    Darshan