Thread: Please Help

Please Help

Please, please, please help! I am a 4th grade teacher (i.e. NOT proficient with any of the vba stuff!!!) I am trying to design template for my team of teachers that has drop down dependent boxes for our standards. I have a GREAT format so far, but can not figure out how to get the text to break into multiple lines instead of running off the page. I have copied an example of what I am talking about since I have NO clue what the technical terms are... the only reason I made it this far was SHEER luck, google, and youtube...
    For the record I tried doing the space_ and tabbing the second line and adding the & and all that did was combine the two words I put it between!

Thanks for helping me not pull my hair out any longer!
    Code:
    Sub Populateddessential()
     Select Case ActiveDocument.FormFields("ddmath").Result
     Case "Number and Number Sense (part 1)"
     With ActiveDocument.FormFields("ddessential").DropDown.ListEntries
     .Clear
     .Add "Identify and communicate, both orally and in written form, the placed  value for each digit in whole numbers expressed through the one millions place."

.Add "Read whole numbers through the one millions place that are presented in standard format, and select the matching number in written format."

.Add "Write whole numbers through the one millions place in standard format when the numbers are presented orally or in written format."

.Add "Identify and use the symbols for greater than, less than, and equal to."

.Add "Compare two whole numbers expressed through the one millions, using symbols >, <, or =."

.Add "Round whole numbers expressed through the one millions place to the nearest thousand, ten thousand, and hundred-thousand place."

.Add "Compare and order fractions having denominators of 12 or less, using manipulative models and drawings, such as region/area models."

.Add "Compare and order fractions with like denominators by comparing number of parts (numerators) (e.g., 15  < 35 )."

.Add "Compare and order fractions with like numerators and unlike denominators by comparing the size of the parts  (e.g.,   <   )."

.Add "Compare and order fractions having unlike denominators of 12 or less by comparing the fractions to benchmarks(e.g., 0,  12  or 1) to determine their relationships to the benchmarks or by finding a common denominator."

.Add "Compare and order mixed numbers having denominators of 12 or less."

End With
    Last edited by Hack; Oct 30th, 2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Added Code Tags

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Re: Please Help

Moved From The CodeBank (which is for sharing code rather than posting questions )

see... can't even post in appropriate spot! Any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciate

Hi
    Try something such as....

Code:
    .add "Compare and order fractions having unlike denominators of 12 or less," & vbcrlf & "by comparing the fractions to benchmarks(e.g., 0,  12  or 1), " _
    & vbcrlf  & " to determine their relationships to the benchmarks," & vbcrlf  & "or by finding a common denominator."

Thanks for the suggestion! It made the spacing between sections larger, but didn't help with whole line of words breaking into multiple lines of text! Thank you though for offering up your help!

PowerPoster

can you mock up how it is currently looking and how you really want it to look? i thought pete's suggestion would do what you're looking for, but i may not be understanding what's not working.

Here is a screen shot of what it looks like now. My goal for it is to have the text in the essential knowledge part break into multiple lines so and not run off the page as it currently does. When I pull up the module and put the _ and the & it just brings the two words those are between together. When I tried 3com's suggestion it added a larger space between the words. AGAIN thank you thank you thank you! I have emailed practically everyone I know in our division but to no avail...

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 86
Size:  22.9 KB

PowerPoster

I said "Pete's suggestion" above, should have said "3com's..."

if you use the "vbcrlf" part of it, something like:

text1="Compare and order fractions having unlike denominators"
    text2="of 12 or less by comparing..."
    text3=text1 & vbcrlf & text2

it might get you close, but would you have a variable number of characters to work with in the Essential Knowledge section?

you lost me, I have no idea what variable number of characters means. I literally got this far out of LUCK...

PowerPoster

What I meant was "is the Essential Learning description sometimes 80 characters long, sometimes 100, sometimes more, etc?" To know what scenarios you need to be able to handle...

...And why you don't try TextBox + wordwrap and so on.

Okay yes. Each string is a different length. There probably 60 different strings for the different drop down selections.

I've googled howto try it and all I can find is how to do it in excel...

PowerPoster

If you're trying to wrap text in a drop down list entry, I don't think you can.

"Sorry, dropdowns don't have the ability to wrap text, regardless of whether
    they're in a table or in regular text. One line per entry is all they can
    do."

from here: http://www.wordbanter.com/showthread.php?t=10970

this explains why it won't work! Thanks for you help!!